Does Omnia II solve Omnia's problems?

Guest IBTECH
try playing a file with h.264 codec @24fps 2000kbs 800x480 or 720x432 its choppy even with that tcpmp version :)

Even using Mpeg4 with the same encodes still choppy,

If i use touchplayer with the mpeg4 encode it tends to run not as choppy,

Im really not happy with the video playback of the omnia II...i wanted to impress people that it looks HD quality with the amoled screen, but if it doesnt play smoothly bit of a bummer/

It might be that the support for this specific codec is not so good or it might be that that since this is an ARM11 CPU it is still not powerful enough.

I have not tried to play and h.264 movies, i did try DIVX and XVID from various TV show files i have and it is working much better than any other WinMo device i tried with a comparable resolution.

On the touch HD, the Acer M900, these files were always choppy. on this device it plays very smoothly both in Touchplayer and TCPMP.

Guest FerdiBorbon
It might be that the support for this specific codec is not so good or it might be that that since this is an ARM11 CPU it is still not powerful enough.

I have not tried to play and h.264 movies, i did try DIVX and XVID from various TV show files i have and it is working much better than any other WinMo device i tried with a comparable resolution.

On the touch HD, the Acer M900, these files were always choppy. on this device it plays very smoothly both in Touchplayer and TCPMP.

Thanks for the input IBTech, can you please show me what are your encoding settings.

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia

Thanks guys for the clarification on some initial check out of the Omnia 2.

From 1 to 10 for screen visibility under direct sunlight, UI smoothness and speed, as 5 for i900, if it falls between 7 and 8 then it is a first GO for me :angry: .

Still waiting on more feedback on the UI stability, a second GO/NO GO) like any hang, lag, crash (worst as soft reset) once a week of heavy usage of all CPU hogging apps (youtube, TCMP, GPS, games running at the same time ;) ).

Third GO is battery life :huh: .

Another one is to develop a scratch resistant for resistive touch screen. It proves to easily scratch slightly on the screen protector to finger nails but hopefully the advanced screen on Omnia 2 doesn't need hard object to response :) .

Well it looks like 2 out of 3 GOs for me regardless of there will be a US GSM version or not (prefer an unlocked one: no contracts ;) ).

Btw H.264 encoder (exclusive for iphone 3GS) may not be 100% compatible with Divx decoder, which is better anyway for less CPU power with same dvd quality (plus the advantage of a bigger higher pixel resolution on amoled screen <_< ), that was why it skipped frames. But you can convert into Divx from other std formats.

Guest FerdiBorbon

Here IBtech, try out this Transformers 2 trailer i encoded, play it on touchplayer and see how wonderful it is with wow HD, then play it on tcpmp and tell me the difference.

It still jerks i tiny bit on toucplayer, but tcpmp fully lags when its fast motions..

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?onwyj4zzmjy

Edited by FerdiBorbon

Guest Maxctran

I've read on here about the GPS working with TomTom (with or without gpsGate), however my main problem with the original Omnia is that it overheats if you use TomTom on a sunny day or a long (1-2hr+) journey and STOPS CHARGING on the car charger and eventually runs out of battery and dies.

Has anyone found out if the Omnia 2 has fixed this problem as it would be one of the main reasons I'd upgrade.

Guest krelvinaz
...watching movies using Coreplayer or Tcpmp have lost performance, its very laggy, using the same bitrate with higher resolution has lost smooth playback... i wonder why this is, when now it has a faster CPU also a dedicated 3d accelerator :)

It's possible that the software is not using the 3d accelerator...

Guest IBTECH
Here IBtech, try out this Transformers 2 trailer i encoded, play it on touchplayer and see how wonderful it is with wow HD, then play it on tcpmp and tell me the difference.

It still jerks i tiny bit on toucplayer, but tcpmp fully lags when its fast motions..

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?onwyj4zzmjy

Thanks for uploading this.

I checked the trailer with various players i have:

1) Touch player was playing it pretty smooth for me. i could not find find and visible choppy parts.

2) TCPMP GF5500 was also playing it very nice. the benchmark i got was 157.28% so i think that is very good for this video quality at 800x480 res.

3) Core player was choppy

4) Kinoma play was HORRIBLE lol...well kinoma is always horrible when playing videos. they really need to fix their player.

I ran the video file from my Storage card.

My Omnia is setup to high performance under settings.

I hope this helps.

Guest FerdiBorbon
Thanks for uploading this.

I checked the trailer with various players i have:

1) Touch player was playing it pretty smooth for me. i could not find find and visible choppy parts.

2) TCPMP GF5500 was also playing it very nice. the benchmark i got was 157.28% so i think that is very good for this video quality at 800x480 res.

3) Core player was choppy

4) Kinoma play was HORRIBLE lol...well kinoma is always horrible when playing videos. they really need to fix their player.

I ran the video file from my Storage card.

My Omnia is setup to high performance under settings.

I hope this helps.

Hi Ibtech could you please upload the version your using of Tcpmp please, as when i play the same video file...it lags on tcpmp.

Thanks

Guest tuisamo
I am also very hopeful for the Omnia 2, and would like to add a problem or two that I would love to see addressed when it finally comes out.

Sometimes the xt9 autocorrect is just screwy as hell, autocorrecting or autocompleting words that I OBVIOUSLY never intended on typing, perhaps due to there being no "frequence of use" value attributed to the words in the dictionary? It's not always that big of a deal, but combining that with the lag in between button presses makes the full keyboard mode unusable for me. I use xt9 phonepad for 90% of my messaging needs, I just wish I didn't have to.

I use touchpal, and never looked back at the default windows and samsung's. Think it may solve your problems.

Guest modacian

just to confirm... it has HOT SWAPPABLE micro SD slot! still under the battery cover but you don't need to switch off or remove the battery! and it works and detects the card as soon as it is inserted!

also it has digital compass, proximity censor, camera is awesome! and video is brilliant!

no problems so far, used for a week, not a single hang and didn't have to reset the device once in this week!

Battery life is even better that Omnia 1 by far!

Guest luxsteele
just to confirm... it has HOT SWAPPABLE micro SD slot! still under the battery cover but you don't need to switch off or remove the battery! and it works and detects the card as soon as it is inserted!

also it has digital compass, proximity censor, camera is awesome! and video is brilliant!

no problems so far, used for a week, not a single hang and didn't have to reset the device once in this week!

Battery life is even better that Omnia 1 by far!

how did you find it has a digital compass and a proximity sensor? can you advise on how to use or test them?

Thanks

Guest -Vulture-

Ive heard about the proximity sensor before, its definately in the omnia II, but a digital compass? Wheres that information from? Never heard of this particular fact...

Guest modacian
how did you find it has a digital compass and a proximity sensor? can you advise on how to use or test them?

Thanks

For all Omnia II owners, just open the dialer and press *#0*#

THIS IS THE DOOR TO TRUE COOLNESS! AND OWSOMENESS!!! :))

you will see for your self everything there! ;)

Guest luxsteele
For all Omnia II owners, just open the dialer and press *#0*#

THIS IS THE DOOR TO TRUE COOLNESS! AND OWSOMENESS!!! :) )

you will see for your self everything there! ;)

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is this magic or what?....I can't believe it ...."*#0*#".

Thank you very much!!

Guest silencer22

the software for their engineers to test the fone has a digital compass

but samsung din bundle in any proper compass for end user to use

76181805.th.png

Edited by silencer22

Guest modacian

The question: does it has a digital compass?

the answer is: YES

Now it is up to the applications to use it!

However you can still see it and use it like a real compass!!!

Guest The_Jag

THANKS SO MUCH for your confirmation Silencer22 and Modacian!!!

Then Omnia 2 is by far the most advanced, feature packed device of WM spectrum!

The only thing missing is D-Pad but I think we can live without it.

I don't bother if Sammy didn't put any end-user application, because I presume it'll release a new sdk with the API to access the compass!!! YAY!!!

This made my day!

Guest modacian
THANKS SO MUCH for your confirmation Silencer22 and Modacian!!!

Then Omnia 2 is by far the most advanced, feature packed device of WM spectrum!

The only thing missing is D-Pad but I think we can live without it.

I don't bother if Sammy didn't put any end-user application, because I presume it'll release a new sdk with the API to access the compass!!! YAY!!!

This made my day!

Be aware though, not having a d-pad or a mouse "like omnia 1" is a pain in the nick... as it could get really frustrating and ugly choosing text pointing to something.. I still don't know how to overcome that!!!

omnia 2 owners, do you agree?

Guest necosino

I disagree, after about a week I do not miss my d-pad at all! Just keep a pen or something nearby for highlighting text, and as for selecting a place in text, I haven't had any issues with the font at the default system size using my finger, and again you can just use a pen or stylus if you're having a hard time.

Also on that note, I use TouchPal which actually has a d-pad screen to move the cursor, so I could use that, too. :)

Guest palah

Anybody using Microsoft Voice Command or Cyberon Voice with their i8000 via bluetooth headset and can use voice commands to activate via the BT headset? E.g. call, john modaco, on mobile, what is the battery level etc etc as i900 did not :) ... was fixed on i908 but wondering if voice over bluetooth profile works out of box on i8000 as use 99% of time

Guest Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia
Be aware though, not having a d-pad or a mouse "like omnia 1" is a pain in the nick... as it could get really frustrating and ugly choosing text pointing to something.. I still don't know how to overcome that!!!

omnia 2 owners, do you agree?

Yep, I still need any of these: an optical mouse like i900 (very useful and fast, also a neat trick to switch on the fly to a very precise mouse pointer), a track ball like G1 phone (very fast: good for gaming and scrolling but not so precise like the i900's mouse pointer). A D pad is a nice option but I seem not to miss it at all coming from the previous Samsung D807 slider.

Only wish that now Samsung can make the Cube as an optical mouse (with the option to switch it to a mouse pointer like i900) AND a 6-directional pad (currently it got six pointed cube shape) together. Then throw in a tri-color backlighting for some sort of indications (the cube itself, and/or the edge around it) :) . This will give iphone a run, lol.

Edited by Quang05BlkBoxsterS n Omnia