Screen corruption in Opera Mobile 9.7 beta 1

Guest David Strange

Guest David Strange

Well, I was sucked in by the lure of a new toy and got the Tosh TG01. Generally I am very pleased with it. The screen is just lovely and it is really responsive and snappy. Playing a 3D game is a great experience on this phone.

However, I've tried Opera Mobile 9.7 beta 1 on it and it doesn't work correctly. It has a lot of display corruption and so is practically unusable. Anyone else experience this and any ideas about a fix?

Cheers,

David.

Guest Dogmann55

@David Strange,

I also had problems with it and it just didn't work and made the screen go funny but as SinSilla said Opera Mobile 9.5 works perfectly and is fast.

Marc

Edited by Dogmann55

Guest David Strange

Ah, bit of a bugger the latest version doesn't work. Come on Opera, pull finger!

Slight problem is I don't have an install file for 9.5 (as it came built in on my Xperia X1). Can someone be terribly kind and post a link?

Cheers,

David.

Guest David Strange

Never mind, found a torrent. I thought Opera 9.5 was pretty whizzy on the old Xperia X1, but it is an absolute treat on the TG01. Indeed, most things are. It is so snappy and responsive, and the screen looks just lovely. It seems this phone is the last and best of the WM6.1 generation. What wonderful things are in store for us with WM 6.5 and 7, one wonders.

However, the 'rotating blinds' UI that comes with the TG01 is rubbish. SPB Mobile Shell 3 is a must buy. Again, it purrs along on it.

Cheers,

David.

Guest bbmalver

also had same issue with 9.7! quickly backtracked to 9.5.

However this still doesn't satisfy my browser itch. Then tried Skyfire; looks good and is responsive, however it appears to come in some form of Low-res that doesn't seem to take advantage of the TG's hi-res screen and i cannot seem to locate any option to increase it.

Anyone else have this issue?

Guest The Real Mc Coy

Tried this version and same problems as everybody.

Installed Mozilla Fennec : WOW !!! works great (for an alpha 2 version) !!!

Guest David Strange
<snip>

Then tried Skyfire; looks good and is responsive, however it appears to come in some form of Low-res that doesn't seem to take advantage of the TG's hi-res screen and i cannot seem to locate any option to increase it.

Anyone else have this issue?

Skyfire seems to have some horrible way of rendering text on high resolution displays which just looks totally awful. I tried it on my Xperia X1 and soon deleted it as the experience of using it was so generally dreadful. Between Iris and OM 9.5b2 my browsing needs are pretty much met.

Cheers,

David.

Guest Neil5459

If you want a fast capable browser, try Access Netfront Concept 3.5. This is still beta and needs to be reinstalled every 2-3 months but it is the most comprehensive browser I've come across.

It needs a little initial configuring but one of the great things is it's options for zoom levels, text size and virtual canvas size. All these can be saved with different settings as 'View Settings' and each bookmark can be associated with a specific view setting.

In the Browser Settings/Network options is a space to define up to 5 user agent strings, allowing the user to switch between a mobile browser and a full desktop browser. The force a desktop view, Edit one of the User Agents to be 'Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)' then relaod the page. Reset to the original user agent to go back to a mobile view. Details Here- refers to an older version but still valid.

This browser really shows its potential on the TG01 :)

Guest Wang Gang
Well, I was sucked in by the lure of a new toy and got the Tosh TG01. Generally I am very pleased with it. The screen is just lovely and it is really responsive and snappy. Playing a 3D game is a great experience on this phone.

However, I've tried Opera Mobile 9.7 beta 1 on it and it doesn't work correctly. It has a lot of display corruption and so is practically unusable. Anyone else experience this and any ideas about a fix?

Cheers,

David.

Maybe you can try disable the 'Auto Full Screen' in Menu >> Settings >> Display,

Guest David Strange
Do you know IRIS Browser? If not, try it and compare. Is my favourite browser... and It's Free!!! http://www.torchmobile.com/ Direct download: http://www.torchmobile.com/download/pkg/ir...owser-1.1.9.cab Give me your opinion

Hi xdalover,

I do use Iris, but largely for viewing Google Reader. Google Reader thinks that Iris is Safari on an iPhone so you get the good iPhone layout.

On my Xperia X1 Iris seemed a lot slower than Opera, but with a 1GHz processor on the TG01 I don't really notice any sluggishness. It is a good browser.

Cheers,

David.

Guest xdalover
This is my personal opera 9.5 mod for toshiba!

is one of newest build very fast!

a big thanks to Spippo (from italian forum) for beautiful graphics, work! :)

(in the screen italian version)

Works perfect! and looks perfect as well... do yo mind if I share this revision with TG01 fans in Spanish? (With a reference to this post here in MoDaCo, of course)

http://foro.todopocketpc.com/showthread.php?t=195478 This foro started on June, 10th!!

Edited by xdalover

Guest David Strange
If you want a fast capable browser, try Access Netfront Concept 3.5. This is still beta and needs to be reinstalled every 2-3 months but it is the most comprehensive browser I've come across.

<snip>

This browser really shows its potential on the TG01 :D

I finally got around to installing and testing this browser. Indeed it is fast and capable, and works a treat on the TG01. I would suggest that your first move after installing it is to change the default font; the one it uses after install is ugly and does the browser's beautiful rendering capabilities no favours. I am a big fan of Opera Mobile, but after a few hours playing with Netfront I am unsure as to which will be my default browser.

Cheers,

David.

Guest Neil5459

Hi david- yes, the monotype font shown by default is an ongoing bug with Netfront!

Once you start playing with the View Settings (which can then be linked to specific favourites) and User Agent Strings, it does become a very verstile browser :D

Guest David Strange

I've set Netfront as my default browser, it is certainly good enough. Moreover, Opera Mobile 9.5b2 has an irritating 'feature' on my TG01. When I have to type something, the Toshiba keyboard pops up, pauses for a few seconds then gets replaced by the standard windows onscreen keyboard. To get the Tosh one back you have to hit the little arrow by the keyboard symbol, wait a couple of seconds then re-select the correct keyboard. Irritating.

Netfront is also a lot more stable (if you don't install it on a storage card). It is fast, looks good (once you change the default font) and has many fiddle-worthy options.

Cheers for the recommendation, Neil!

David.

Guest Neil5459

No problem David- I've been a fan of Netfront for ages. I just can't understand why it continues in Beta for so long! Probably good for us though as the full version can only be bought and integrated by ROM developers, not end users.