AutoCallLocker

Guest JohKarJes

Guest JohKarJes

Hi Omnia users,

As you know the default phone application from the omnia always locks while in a call.

You can press the mouse cursor key, but after (hard to change)period of time it will popup again.

I found a request from somebody some time ago who suggested to create a automatic unlocking feature that triggers on the accelerometer(position detector?)

or the build in light sensor. I thought this was a rather good idea (credits to that guy!).

Well, I just finished a small application which works as requested...AutoCallLocker.

The name does not cover it all, because it also does unlocking when appropriate.

Brief instructions:

Just install the added .cab file.

Then start the application. Now it should start with a settings screen (as you see in the capture).

Now, you can select which sensor you'd like to use for detecting when to lock/unlock.

Note that locking/unlocking is only influenced while in a call.

For the accelerator you may select a value between 0 (horizontal) and 90 degrees (vertical).

Above the device will lock the screen (when you have your omnia pressed to your head), below it will unlock.

When using the light sensor, you can set a value between 0 (no light) and 100 (max intensity of light).

Again the screen will lock below the threshold (if it is dark), above it will unlock.

Another nice goodie, is the always unlock feature. When set, the device will always be be unlocked in a call.

This is nice when you have placed the device for example in a cradle.

The last feature is an obvious one: Load on system start.

Note with this one set, the application is send to the background immediately after startup, although noticable for a short moment.

Note also that when this option is set, and you close and restart AutoCallLocker, it will also go to the background.

If you restart again, AutoCallLocker will stay maximized, so you can change its settings.

After you've changed its settings, you shoud press the Hide button, that will send the application to the background as well.

If you want to fully close the application, press Close.

Oh, as a last thing, I added a Haptic feedback option, that gives you a vibrating response when AutoCallLocker toggles its state.

Nice while trying to find the optimal settings, but a bit annoying on the long term, so you can switch it off.

Some notes:

• You need to install the Samsung redistributable smi_wm_sdk_redist_1_0_0.cab if you haven't done this before.
    I thought this one could be found elsewhere on this forum, but to make shure, here it is:
    smi_wm_sdk_redist_1_1_0.cab

• I am using this application in combination with the PhoneEx phone replacement application (and that works too).
    So I haven't been testing much lately with the 'original' from samsung...so there could be some bugs remaining, although not likely. Please report.

Regards and Enjoy,

JohKarJes

PS:
    If you like this application you may sponsor my coffee needs: Donation

V1.0.0.5:
    AutoCallLocker1005.CAB
    post-565183-1257453543_thumb.pngpost-565183-1257453555_thumb.png

Older versions:
    V1.0.0.4:
    AutoCallLocker1004.CAB

V1.0.0.3:
    AutoCallLocker1003.CAB

V1.0.0.2:
    AutoCallLocker.CAB

Installation notes:
    • In case of trouble on installation try the following procedure:
    • Uninstall the previous AutoCalllocker version:
      Stop a running instance before uninstalling it, by entering the configuration menu and press the 'Close' button to stop the application completely.
    • Then check your installation location (most of the time somewhere in \programfiles\AutoCallLocker).
    • Delete any existing remaining files (settings.xml) before installing the new version.

Status history:
      V1.0.0.5:
      This version has a different architecture now. It is composed out of 2 executables instead of one.
      The main part is now a kind of service which cannot be closed easily by the OS.
      The second part acts as a settings starter to show the settings screen.

Bugfixes:
      • This new architecture should definitely solve the closing problem when the OS has little memory left.
      • The rattling when holding the device just over 90 degrees should be fixed now.
      • Minor bugs and issues have been fixed during code changes (like for example usage of blanked screen and speaker output at the sae time).

Bugfixes:
        • When the system has little memory left, the application could be closed unexpectedly.
          A fix is made to prevent closing. Please note that in (hopefully) rare circumstances,
          when the system has run out of resources completely, the appication might still be closed by the OS.
        • When holding the phone upright, just over a 90 degrees angle, the phone unlocks again.
          This bug was introduced in the previous version, and has been fixed.
        • Some internal fixes for minor (technical) problems.

Added a few new (requested) functions:

• Sensitivity setting - The previous version reacted a bit 'itchy' on accelerometer changes, so a filter is added to let it react more smoothly.
          • A test button - Now you can check if you like the settings without making an actual call.
            The right square in the top of the screen shows when it is unlocked (green) or locked (red).
          • Speakerphone toggling - When the phone is in an unlocked state, the speakerphone is activated, and de-activated again when the phone is locked.
            WARNING: Please check your settings carefully, before using this option.
            When the phone is held in such a way that the phone is going from locked to unlocked state, the phone starts very loud before lowering its volume.* Cosmetic update - Well, not absolutely needed, but (my humble opinion) the screen is much nicer now by using transparent controls and using a 'blue' theme.
          • Replaced about button - Using a question mark now in the top left corner. Just press on it, and you'll be directed to the ' about' screen.
          • Bugfixes? - Did not find major bugs, but some minors have been fixed.

V1.0.0.2:

[*]Sometimes even I am in a rush...last version contained a nasty bug,

Setting the screen blanking option did not work properly (was not saved in the settings).

[*]Also, the blanking option is disabled by default now.

V1.0.0.1 :

[*]Added an option to blank the screen while in a call.

[*]accelerator is now accelerometer ;)

V1.0.0.0 :

[*]The very first version

Edited by JohKarJes

Guest finaldestiny

Hey! Nice work on the application. Tested it and it works fine on my omnia, thought I had to install the smi_wm_sdk cab file before it could work. I didn't realize it was working at first though because I expected the backlight to go off (screen go black) as well when the screen is locked through the light sensor or accelerometer :D Any chance of adding that? It would be the only feature I would say is missing.

Also, the user interface is fine and useable, it could do with a bit more spice to it though (just my humble opinion) <==Mainly irrelevant & unnecessary though!

Thanks for the great app ;)

Many thanks, all work perfectly! Me has very much pleased that now there is a vibration on connection. Successes in new workings out.

Guest JohKarJes
Hey! Nice work on the application. Tested it and it works fine on my omnia, thought I had to install the smi_wm_sdk cab file before it could work. I didn't realize it was working at first though because I expected the backlight to go off (screen go black) as well when the screen is locked through the light sensor or accelerometer :) Any chance of adding that? It would be the only feature I would say is missing.

Also, the user interface is fine and useable, it could do with a bit more spice to it though (just my humble opinion) <==Mainly irrelevant & unnecessary though!

Thanks for the great app :D

About the backlight, I was already thinking about this, I'll give it a try asap.

About the spice...I don't think it has a high priority, but with someone having better GUI designing skills then me I maybe going to work on that one too.

And...yeah right...been sleeping I guess... ;) ...accelerator...accelerometer...whatever...

Edited by JohKarJes

Guest JohKarJes
This looks very nice. I'll give it a try. Any issues with cooking it in to my ROM? Credit to you of course. ;)

No problem, go ahead. Maybe you can wait a few days, I'm still busy with the backlight option. That would be a real finishing touch I guess....

Guest blazingwolf
No problem, go ahead. Maybe you can wait a few days, I'm still busy with the backlight option. That would be a real finishing touch I guess....

I'll wait. ;)

I ran in to a couple of issue while trying this with the Samsung dialer.

1. When running your program and after I answer a call the program crashes and gives the error in the images.

2. The program errored while trying to uninstall it.

So at the moment it is unuasble on my phone. :D

post-142761-1248124874_thumb.png

post-142761-1248124884_thumb.png

post-142761-1248124891_thumb.png

Guest JohKarJes
I'll wait. ;)

I ran in to a couple of issue while trying this with the Samsung dialer.

1. When running your program and after I answer a call the program crashes and gives the error in the images.

2. The program errored while trying to uninstall it.

So at the moment it is unuasble on my phone. :D

Well it seems you did not install the redistributable (properly) from Samsung ( smi_wm_sdk_redist_1_1_0.cab).

This one contains the missing dll (SamsungMobileSDK_1.dll). That should solve your problem, if not let me know, I'll might have to check with the original Samsung dialer (i'm currently using Spam alert ).

Edited by JohKarJes

Guest Rob V

Great app!

I have only one suggestion, but don't know if it's possible: The #1 use for this, at least for me, is when I'm interacting with voicemail. The problem is that you hold the phone to your ear, and then need to immediately use the keypad to save or delete the message. Is there any way that your app could be configured to override locking when I call a specific number? It would always be the same number, dialed from a stored contact entry. I think this one additional capability, in addition to turning off the backlight, would make this perfect.

Guest JohKarJes

V1.0.0.1 - added the backlight option...

Guys, it's updated now, not exactly changing the backlight, but toggling the screen on/off (blank).

Go ahead, give it a try and let me know how it works.

About the second 'overriding' request...I'll look into it, but do not have too high expectations. This could be complicated (lets say a challenge... ;) ).

If I have something new or a fix, I'll let you know.

I only have limited options of testing, so I imagine there will be some bugs left when used on other configurations.

Guest Lyncexx

i dont know whats wrong but it keeps locking/unlocking every half second, the screen is blinking

it only works with light sensor, but after few seconds being locked its not unlocking anymore by light

im usint Sector's DXID1_23004_Y1LiteBlack and samsung dialer

Guest JohKarJes
i dont know whats wrong but it keeps locking/unlocking every half second, the screen is blinking

it only works with light sensor, but after few seconds being locked its not unlocking anymore by light

im usint Sector's DXID1_23004_Y1LiteBlack and samsung dialer

Hmmm...not shure what's happening. Seems we're having a fight between AutoCallLocker (ACL) and another application. Seems ACL is locking when the other tries to lock...might be the ROM you are using. Can you find out if another application does a similar job while in a call ?

Other readers/users....do you have similar problems ?

OK, maybe found a problem that seems to resemble yours a bit.

I tested with the original dialer, and found out that the omnia can be set to blank the screen as well. Although it does not lead exactly to the described problems, it might be confusing.

Advice: disable omnia screen blanking switch while in a call. (settings/battery, tab page 'calling'...i've got a dutch device so don't know if this exactly matches a english device ;) )

Edited by JohKarJes

Guest Rob V
Seems we're having a fight between AutoCallLocker (ACL) and another application. Seems ACL is locking when the other tries to lock...

I think that's exactly what's happening: Lyncexx said that he was using the Samsung Dialer, which has a built-in lock (can be set via control panel to lock at 2, 5, or 10 seconds). There is no way to turn off this lock while using the Samsung dialer. But if you deactivate Samsung's dialer skin (ie, return to the defauilt WM dialer), then you also deactivate the lock.

There are two ways to do this. One is to fire up your favorite registry editor and navigate to the following key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Phone\Skin]

"Enabled"=dword:1

Change the value of "Enabled" from 1 to 0, and then soft-reset your phone.

The other (and easier) way is via the Advanced Configuration 3.3 tool -- you'll find this parameter in the 'Phone' group. (AC 3.3 has been cooked into some custom ROMs, but it you don't already have it, download from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=418151.)

I'm using the default dialer and have no problems with AutoCallLocker, so hopefully this will also solve Lyncexx's issue.

Guest JohKarJes

Thanks Rob for the explanation. This was new to me too. Great Work !

BTW. The last version contained a (minor but nasty) bug that prevented toggling the blank screen option.

Repaired that one.

Guest pacman9889

I really love this app, I do have one suggestion though, if it's possible.

I think another option that would be amazing would be enabling speakerphone based on the above conditions. That way when you pull the phone away from your face, not only does it unlock, it puts speakerphone on as well.

Just an idea from wishful thinking.

Guest Rob V
I think another option that would be amazing would be enabling speakerphone based on the above conditions. That way when you pull the phone away from your face, not only does it unlock, it puts speakerphone on as well.

+1 on this suggestion! In fact, if this was possible, it would serve as a pretty decent workaround for the "don't lock when I'm calling voicemail" issue I had raised.

Guest JohKarJes
+1 on this suggestion! In fact, if this was possible, it would serve as a pretty decent workaround for the "don't lock when I'm calling voicemail" issue I had raised.

Yes, sounds like a nice option, and easier to implement then the other you've mentioned.

I'll put it on my list, probably will be part of the next release.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JohKarJes

Released a new version: 1.0.0.3

Almost all mentioned requests are granted, and more !

Had only limited opportunity to test it, so report any bugs (if you have 'em :D ).

Cheers and enjoy,

JohKarJes

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DaZelator
Had only limited opportunity to test it, so report any bugs (if you have 'em :) ).

JohKarJes,

Thanks for this goodie. I especially like the "Toggle Speakerphone" (speakerphone on when unlocked). However, this does not seem to work in combination with the "Always Unlock" option, only in combination with the accelerometer and light sensor... I would like this to work, especially when using the phone in my car cradle. Any chance of fixing this?

Thanks and regards,

DaZelator.

Guest JohKarJes
JohKarJes,

Thanks for this goodie. I especially like the "Toggle Speakerphone" (speakerphone on when unlocked). However, this does not seem to work in combination with the "Always Unlock" option, only in combination with the accelerometer and light sensor... I would like this to work, especially when using the phone in my car cradle. Any chance of fixing this?

Thanks and regards,

DaZelator.

Ok, thanks for pointing out, seems to be a bug, I 'll try to fix it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest wittanny

When set to "Use Accerelometer", the accuracy is not quite good i.e. it locks and unlocks repetitively. Also it seems that it will never lock he phone if the phone is placed close to 90 degree which is not what we expect when the phone is on your ear.

I really love this app, hope you can fix this.

regards,

Edited by wittanny

Guest JohKarJes
When set to "Use Accerelometer", the accuracy is not quite good i.e. it locks and unlocks repetitively. Also it seems that it will never lock he phone if the phone is placed close to 90 degree which is not what we expect when the phone is on your ear.

I really love this app, hope you can fix this.

regards,

Hi Wittany,

The first problem is not so clear to me. It does behave like this, but only when you keep the phone just around the threshold-angle for switching.

It is then obvious it will lock/unlock according the position of the phone.

It might help to use another angle, in such cases.

For example I use the angle of 40 degrees. Further, you could change the sensitivity level. It will react less itchy when you set this to a low sensitivity (I use 12).

The second one is a bug introduced in the last version. I already fixed this one for the next release.

I'm now doing some testing, so this release (1.0.0.4) will be in a couple of days.

Can you tell me if the repetitively locking/unlocking occurs mainly in this situation (holding the phone upright, just over 90 degrees), or can you give a bit more info about the circumstances ?

regards as well....