AutoCallLocker

Guest JohKarJes

Guest microbespecialty

Great app! I have a suggestion that might be a good idea. In dark lighted environment, having both accelerometer and light sensor on causes the app to blank the screen even when not at the ear. Although this could easily be remedied by only using the accel. But having both serves as a security that the screen will blank when brought to the ear.

So the idea here beats out even what the phone with the letter "i" in front can do. Can the accel be made the overriding component? As in, even if the environment is dark, but if the phone has not reached the accel threshold, the accel will be the controlling component and not blank the screen. The light sensor will kick in only when the accel reaches the threshold. This allows for both to work together to blank the screen when brought to the ear, but still have the screen on in a darken environment.

Just an idea! If you do decide to accept donations let us know!

Guest PearlMikeJam

Great app. I have been looking for something to work with other dialers.

I have been playing with it for a week now and still have not found the right mix of settings, but will try your suggested settings in the post above. I have a bit of a bigger problem. The app keeps closing on its own. As a result, I get a call and nothing locks the screen. I am running blazingwolfs WM 6.5 ROM Build 23053. He does not have this issue, so it must be something I have installed. It seems like it could be SPB Mobile Shell 3.5 or the Samsung Omnia i8000 dialer I have installed. Are you aware of any conflicts with programs that would cause yours to just close? I do not have any cleanRAM like program installed that should be closing anything automatically.

Thanks in advance.

Guest JohKarJes
Great app! I have a suggestion that might be a good idea. In dark lighted environment, having both accelerometer and light sensor on causes the app to blank the screen even when not at the ear. Although this could easily be remedied by only using the accel. But having both serves as a security that the screen will blank when brought to the ear.

So the idea here beats out even what the phone with the letter "i" in front can do. Can the accel be made the overriding component? As in, even if the environment is dark, but if the phone has not reached the accel threshold, the accel will be the controlling component and not blank the screen. The light sensor will kick in only when the accel reaches the threshold. This allows for both to work together to blank the screen when brought to the ear, but still have the screen on in a darken environment.

Just an idea! If you do decide to accept donations let us know!

I think I get it. If time permits, i'll give it a try and do some experimenting with this option. Don't count on it on a very short notice. I'll first try to release the 1.0.0.4 version which contains some nasty bugs, as you can read in the previous and next post.

And, I let you know when you can support me with some donations. Remember, these donations are often used for consuming beer and other spirituals, which is no good, when I busy coding ! :) .

Guest JohKarJes
Great app. I have been looking for something to work with other dialers.

I have been playing with it for a week now and still have not found the right mix of settings, but will try your suggested settings in the post above. I have a bit of a bigger problem. The app keeps closing on its own. As a result, I get a call and nothing locks the screen. I am running blazingwolfs WM 6.5 ROM Build 23053. He does not have this issue, so it must be something I have installed. It seems like it could be SPB Mobile Shell 3.5 or the Samsung Omnia i8000 dialer I have installed. Are you aware of any conflicts with programs that would cause yours to just close? I do not have any cleanRAM like program installed that should be closing anything automatically.

Thanks in advance.

Well, I mentioned it briefly in the previous post, I think this has something to do with the amount of memory used.

I also use SPB mobile shell, and indeed I was confronted with the same problem. I think this has to do with the memory usage of SPB Shell in conjunction with other large applications.

I'm currently testing the next release, and I added some code to prevent closing due to memory shortage. I have the app running now for a couple of days, and even when running large applications (TomTom) AutoCalllocker stays alive.

I'm planning to post this version tonight (local time in Holland), so please try it as soon as possible and, let me know if you still encounter problems.

regards JohKarJes

Guest JohKarJes

See previous posts;

There where indeed some nasty :( bugs in the 1.0.0.3 version.

Hopefully they are fixed in the 1.0.0.4 version now :) .

Cheers and enjoy,

JohKarJes

Edited by JohKarJes

Guest PearlMikeJam
Well, I mentioned it briefly in the previous post, I think this has something to do with the amount of memory used.

I also use SPB mobile shell, and indeed I was confronted with the same problem. I think this has to do with the memory usage of SPB Shell in conjunction with other large applications.

I'm currently testing the next release, and I added some code to prevent closing due to memory shortage. I have the app running now for a couple of days, and even when running large applications (TomTom) AutoCalllocker stays alive.

I'm planning to post this version tonight (local time in Holland), so please try it as soon as possible and, let me know if you still encounter problems.

regards JohKarJes

Great news! Thanks for the update. I look forward to the new release. On a side note, I am about to flash to a new ROM that has the previous version cooked into it. Since the cooked version cannot be uninstalled, is there anything you recommend doing before installing the latest version?

Thanks again!

Guest wittanny
Hi Wittany,

The first problem is not so clear to me. It does behave like this, but only when you keep the phone just around the threshold-angle for switching.

It is then obvious it will lock/unlock according the position of the phone.

It might help to use another angle, in such cases.

For example I use the angle of 40 degrees. Further, you could change the sensitivity level. It will react less itchy when you set this to a low sensitivity (I use 12).

The second one is a bug introduced in the last version. I already fixed this one for the next release.

I'm now doing some testing, so this release (1.0.0.4) will be in a couple of days.

Can you tell me if the repetitively locking/unlocking occurs mainly in this situation (holding the phone upright, just over 90 degrees), or can you give a bit more info about the circumstances ?

regards as well....

Hi JohKarJes,

I'm running v.1.0.0.4 now and it seems to work flawlessly. Anyway I prefer light sensor mode which exactly suits my need.

Two thumbs up for the app since I'm using Phone Extension and have it set blank screen when call connected. But I found it's not so convenient whenever I want to use the device during a call. This app really makes my day, definitely a must have app on my list.

thanks!!

Edited by wittanny

JohKarJes! Cheers for a great app first of all. Latest version 1.0.0.4 is much improved! I am having the same issue as PearlMikeJam however, as the app keeps closing on it's on. I start the app and minimize it, check in SKTools for the running process and it's there. Great! Then I make a call, and it works flawlessly. Great! After hanging up however, the AutoCallLocker.exe process closes. Any other ideas? I tried to add this to SKTools "Keep Alive" list, but it didn't work. Is Phone Extension closing this somehow??

Samsung Omnia i910 vCF03.20961

WM 6.1 v

SPB Mobile Shell

Phone Extension

Cheers!

Edited by j006

Guest blazingwolf
JohKarJes! Cheers for a great app first of all. Latest version 1.0.0.4 is much improved! I am having the same issue as PearlMikeJam however, as the app keeps closing on it's on. I start the app and minimize it, check in SKTools for the running process and it's there. Great! Then I make a call, and it works flawlessly. Great! After hanging up however, the AutoCallLocker.exe process closes. Any other ideas? I tried to add this to SKTools "Keep Alive" list, but it didn't work. Is Phone Extension closing this somehow??

Samsung Omnia i910 vCF03.20961

WM 6.1 v

SPB Mobile Shell

Phone Extension

Cheers!

There are lots of comments on SPBs Mobile Shell forums of MS3 closing apps. You might want to look there to see if there has been any resolution.

Guest JohKarJes
... I am having the same issue as PearlMikeJam however, as the app keeps closing on it's on. I start the app and minimize it, check in SKTools for the running process and it's there. ... After hanging up however, the AutoCallLocker.exe process closes. Any other ideas? I tried to add this to SKTools "Keep Alive" list, but it didn't work. Is Phone Extension closing this somehow??

Hi j006,

I don't think it is the same problem you encountered. I think PearlMikeJam had the same problem as I have found in V1003. The application is closed by the OS due to large resource usage.

The problem you describe seems to be a bit different. In your case the application shuts down just after a call. This might be difficult to reproduce however, but I'll give it a try. (BTW. I'm using Phone Extension too without problems..)

Maybe as Blazing Wolf suspects, caused by SPB MS3...?

greetz,

JohKarJes

Edited by JohKarJes

Guest PearlMikeJam

I loaded the new version on blazingwolf's latest ROM (build 23064) and version 1.0.0.4 does seem to close less, however it still closes on occasion. I suspect it may be MS3.5, but cannot say as this is the only app that I have noticed closes on its own.

I am having a tough time with the light sensor setting. I have an i910, and for whatever reason, the light sensor is very inconsistent. I can establish my settings and test it, and all works fine, however, a short time later when I receive a call, the screen does not lock. When I go back in to the settings and test, the light sensor is unresponsive, even when I put my thumb over the sensor to cover it completely. I would love to get that setting to work on a consistent basis because the angle I hold the phone is makes using the accelerometer option unusable since the screen keeps rotating back and forth, locking and unlocking the screen. I have not found a different angle that is both comfortable and allows the caller on the other end to hear me.

Does anyone have any thought/insight/settings suggestions?

Thanks.

Guest m.s.johnson

JohKarJes,

This is a great application and possibly one of the most vital additions to my Omnia if not the most. Anyway, just a thought for an addition...

First I choose the light sensor option since it seems the most reliable for my use. Can you add the option in setup to have the choice to make the call go to the earpiece automatically by default upon selecting "answer" of a call? Then if you pull the phone away from your ear it goes to toggle speaker on and unlock?

My experience is that I always want to answer the call (even though I know whose calling with caller ID) using the earpiece. On occassion when answering the call the light sensor toggles the speaker on while I am putting the phone to my ear... OUCH! then it will switch the speaker off seconds later.

Just my thoughts for a possible addition... Keep up the great work!

Guest JohKarJes
I loaded the new version on blazingwolf's latest ROM (build 23064) and version 1.0.0.4 does seem to close less, however it still closes on occasion. I suspect it may be MS3.5, but cannot say as this is the only app that I have noticed closes on its own.

I am having a tough time with the light sensor setting. I have an i910, and for whatever reason, the light sensor is very inconsistent. I can establish my settings and test it, and all works fine, however, a short time later when I receive a call, the screen does not lock. When I go back in to the settings and test, the light sensor is unresponsive, even when I put my thumb over the sensor to cover it completely. I would love to get that setting to work on a consistent basis because the angle I hold the phone is makes using the accelerometer option unusable since the screen keeps rotating back and forth, locking and unlocking the screen. I have not found a different angle that is both comfortable and allows the caller on the other end to hear me.

Does anyone have any thought/insight/settings suggestions?

Thanks.

Hi PearlMikeJam,

I'm still looking into the closing problems. Can you enlighten the circumstances a bit more, to be able to reproduce this ? Thanks in advance.

About the light sensor; that will stay problematic, I suppose depending on the light conditions (bright sunlight vs. dark conditions) it will be difficult to get the 'golden' setting.

I would rather use the accelerometer to get stable results. I do not fully understand the 'back/forth' rotation of the screen. Do you mean the automatic rotation feature of the Omnia, or... ?

I suppose you've already used the ' test' button, which allows to test your settings without having to make a call. I did experiment with my device, and my best results are with an angle of 40-45 degrees, and a sensitivity level of 15.

Maybe this helps ?

regards JohKarJes

Guest JohKarJes
JohKarJes,

This is a great application and possibly one of the most vital additions to my Omnia if not the most. Anyway, just a thought for an addition...

First I choose the light sensor option since it seems the most reliable for my use. Can you add the option in setup to have the choice to make the call go to the earpiece automatically by default upon selecting "answer" of a call? Then if you pull the phone away from your ear it goes to toggle speaker on and unlock?

My experience is that I always want to answer the call (even though I know whose calling with caller ID) using the earpiece. On occassion when answering the call the light sensor toggles the speaker on while I am putting the phone to my ear... OUCH! then it will switch the speaker off seconds later.

Just my thoughts for a possible addition... Keep up the great work!

Good suggestion ! I'll probably put it in the next release. Thanks.

JohKarJes

Guest PearlMikeJam
Hi PearlMikeJam,

I'm still looking into the closing problems. Can you enlighten the circumstances a bit more, to be able to reproduce this ? Thanks in advance.

About the light sensor; that will stay problematic, I suppose depending on the light conditions (bright sunlight vs. dark conditions) it will be difficult to get the 'golden' setting.

I would rather use the accelerometer to get stable results. I do not fully understand the 'back/forth' rotation of the screen. Do you mean the automatic rotation feature of the Omnia, or... ?

I suppose you've already used the ' test' button, which allows to test your settings without having to make a call. I did experiment with my device, and my best results are with an angle of 40-45 degrees, and a sensitivity level of 15.

Maybe this helps ?

regards JohKarJes

Thanks for the response.

I have not been able to isolate the closing issue. As an example, the app was running last night when I went to bed. I charged the phone over night and when I checked to see if it was running this morning, it was not.

Thanks for the settings suggestions. I am currently using 40 with sensitivity of 12. Maybe changing to 15 will help. I hold my phone on an angle straight from my ear to my mouth. It seems like it is at a perfect 45 degree angle, which is right at the threshold of the accelerometer. I may go into the screen rotation settings of WinMo to see if decreasing that sensitivity helps.

I will report back if I learn more.

Thansk again for the responsiveness.

Well I killed the SPB Mobile shell process yesterday morning and watched to see what happened. I'm using iPhoneToday, so I really don't need both anyway. The result was that the AutoCallLocker.exe process is still closing for some reason. Mostly it closes after making one phonecall, but sometimes it will last thru two calls. Strange really. I love the program but I can't get it to stay running.

I will say that using the accelerometer method alone is completely unreliable for me. When I hold the phone to my ear, the angle it's at is anyway from 20 to 45 degrees, so I have to set the threshold pretty low. When I bring the phone down to view it, it has to be almost flat in order to keep the screen from locking. It may just be me, but it doesn't work really at all functionally. Using the light sensor works great, but it's hard to get a good setting since light conditions vary so much. If it's bright outside it won't lock, so I have to raise the threshold, but then if I'm in the dark it's locked all the time. It's definitely hard to find that equilibrium. I'm not sure how to even improve that honestly from a coding perspective. The iPhone uses it's accelerometer and somehow it works flawlessy. I'd love to know exactly how they are doing that.

Cheers.

Guest JohKarJes

Hi Joo6 (and all other readers),

Thanks for the update.

This will be tricky to resolve, due to the device limitations. Perhaps I could come up with some kind of mix between accelerometer and light sensor as proposed before.

Please note that the Iphone works with a completely different approach.

As far as I know this one uses a infrared receiver transmitter combination to detect an object near the device. This approach has even been patented.

Probably they use such a complicated system because of the limitations of using an accelerometer and light detector.

My update:

I found a problem in the routine that handles the accelerometer. This one explains why the app is acting strange in some situations.

The scenario: When holding the phone upright just over the 90 degrees angle, or shake it a little up/down in this position (while in a call), the phone keeps locking/unlocking.

I already mastered this bug, but I'm also busy trying to find the why the app closes unexpectedly.

I'm planning to do another release when this has been solved.

regards

JohKarJes

Please note that the Iphone works with a completely different approach.

As far as I know this one uses a infrared receiver transmitter combination to detect an object near the device. This approach has even been patented.

Probably they use such a complicated system because of the limitations of using an accelerometer and light detector.

You were absolutely right. I did some quick research and found out the iPhone has a dedicated proximity sensor for blanking the screen when you bring it to your face. Apparently the 3GS has two of these! Wow.

Still can't get the process to stay open for some reason, and it doesn't seem to be SPB mobile shell. Wish I could figure this one out. :)

Guest JohKarJes
.....Still can't get the process to stay open for some reason, and it doesn't seem to be SPB mobile shell. Wish I could figure this one out. :(

I think I found the problem. The theory is as follows (if you're interested...:) ):

Your system is short on resources; it will politely ask the apps to close the app or to free resources, which is refused by AutoCalllocker.

But...if the system is still short on resources, it will forcefully terminate the least used application(s).

Since this app is the likely to be the least used running app (it has no GUI when running in the background), it will be closed.

In short, there is not much you can do except maybe installing as many apps as possible in flash memory to keep your RAM memory free.

But...I am working on a solution; by running the application in a different way which makes pretty sure the OS cannot close it anymore.

Unfortunately this has a big impact on the current code, so it will take at least a week to finish this fix. Hope you can wait....

greetz JohKarJes.

Good job, it looks very practical.

Did anybody try it on the Omnia2 ( I8000 ) running WinMo 6.5 ? I would like to try it on mine but I want to make sure it works because of the 480 x 800 resolution.

I like the application. I don't find to many problems on my omnia. I use original ROM dxhh3/dzhh3-pda and dxhh3-phone parts. Accelerometer works fine for me as well as light sensor. Everything works fine if I got a call and my device is in unlocked state at the moment. However, if it is locked to begin with then when I get a call the screen is rapidly toggling back and forth between "unlock" and "cancel" options. I can see this toggling in horizontal position (the screen is "on") and in vertical I know it is happening because of the constantly firing haptic feedback (the screen is "off"). If I disable the haptic feedback, it is fine it does not interfere with a conversation. I think the problem is that this program does not override OS lock. I guess there is might be a conflict between OS and AutoCallLocker that is not handled well just yet. For me it is not a major bug but it would be nice to have it fixed. I'll be more than happy to donate, because the application is extremely useful.

Guest JohKarJes
I like the application. I don't find to many problems on my omnia. I use original ROM dxhh3/dzhh3-pda and dxhh3-phone parts. Accelerometer works fine for me as well as light sensor. Everything works fine if I got a call and my device is in unlocked state at the moment. However, if it is locked to begin with then when I get a call the screen is rapidly toggling back and forth between "unlock" and "cancel" options. I can see this toggling in horizontal position (the screen is "on") and in vertical I know it is happening because of the constantly firing haptic feedback (the screen is "off"). If I disable the haptic feedback, it is fine it does not interfere with a conversation. I think the problem is that this program does not override OS lock. I guess there is might be a conflict between OS and AutoCallLocker that is not handled well just yet. For me it is not a major bug but it would be nice to have it fixed. I'll be more than happy to donate, because the application is extremely useful.

Hi,

This will be solved in the next build (if we are talking about the same bug). I was able to reproduce something similar while in a call, and holding the device just over a 90 degr. angle.

Before I will release I want to fix a reported closing bug as well. This one is hard to solve, and some parts of the code had to be rewritten.

Anyway, you can expect this probably end this week !

regards, JohKarJes

Guest Grassguy

Just wanted to report a bug i had with 004...when i'm on a call and i hold my phone straight (screen facing forward, not up) the vibration goes crazy and locks and unlocks every half a second.

Great app! Lovin 003!

Thanks for your contribution!

Guest blazingwolf
Just wanted to report a bug i had with 004...when i'm on a call and i hold my phone straight (screen facing forward, not up) the vibration goes crazy and locks and unlocks every half a second.

Great app! Lovin 003!

Thanks for your contribution!

That is a known bug that will hopefully be fixed in the next version.