Proud new owner of touch pro2

Guest SuperCharger

Guest SuperCharger

Hi, been a long time frequenter of the site and have had my imat sp5 for a long time. I have issues about buying new phones before the old one dies. well lets say the sp5 has gone to heaven.

Got my this shiny touch pro2 but i noticed not alot of ppl have picked it up i suppose

anyone have sampled some programs/games on it that would be worth the download/purchase?

Guest wgimenes

I've been waiting for mine, from Vodafone, for the past 2 weeks. There have been very few units available for contracts so I can only suppose that the lack of activity here is only a reflection of the slow uptake due to supply.

Very excited today as mine was shipped yesterday. Not even 6 AM here and I'm already up, waiting for the delivery :-)

Reports to follow.

Guest Polariz_666

I called up Orange yesterday and was told it was "hopefully" being released on the 28th of this month (I think it's still in testing). If it's true - happy days!

Guest G1LIW

Well, that goes against everything I was told by Retentions last week. There was, apparently, no possibility that the TP2 would come to Orange. They've invested in getting a high end phone like the Toshiba TG-01 instead, it would appear.

It's one of the many reasons I'm shortly leaving orange for T-Mobile (Orange's truly pitiful data packages being another massive reason). One of the other reasons is that I can get a TP2 on T-Mobile or Vodafone, depending on which package is best for me :)

Hopefully, I'll be a Proud New Owner of a TP2 as well this afternoon ;)

Guest Polariz_666

I think it's clear that from reading everyone's experiences that the communication between the Orange BU and the Customer Services team is pretty shocking - everyone's had a different answer from their team.

I'll call up again on the 29th about an early upgrade. My ammunition is that a) I'm over £70 spend, :) You can get a Touch Pro2 on Orange through Phones4U and c) it should be available for Business Users - so stop faffing around and let your customers spend more money with you!

Will report back on how it goes.

Guest G1LIW

Well, via mobile phones direct and their bricks and mortar shop in Camberly, I'm now the proud owner of a TP2, unlocked, unbranded, and with a massive 16 gig card in the side :) Bloke there did me a very good deal, and I'm now on Vodafone, and closing down my old Orange connection (awaiting a pac code, and wouldn't you know it, there's a bloody mail strike in London now, dammit all to wotsit :(). I'll probably change my broadband to something like Virgin, after I've done that, but that's another matter ;)

One thing I am doing is trying out new satnav software. I'm been well and truly stuffed off with TomTom's PPC support - or rather extreme lack of support - attitudes for the last couple of years now, and now that I've got a shiny new toy to play with, I'm voting with my wallet, and shoving TomTom 6 out the airlock :angry:

Currently testing the trial version of CoPilot, massive real estate on the screen, mucho impressivo :huh: One bonus is that it'll allow OS Grid reference destination navigation - very cool ;) It has problems, mind, one massive one being it's behaviour on GPS satellite LOS and RAS, where it petulantly pauses, and refuses to recognise valid GPS signals until you restart the application. Massively annoying, that, and potentially expensive on fuel if on a motorway, not to mention potentially dangerous if on a complex junction.

Testing continues for another 14 days with CoPilot, and then it's onto the next package to try <_<

Edited for telling sperrors!

Edited by G1LIW

Guest G1LIW

Maps and upgrades, pure and simple. When I bought my copy of TT6 (PPC) over two years back, TT were promising PPC users regular map updates and competitive upgrades with following versions.

Then they reneged on that promise and refused to release v7 (quoting piracy issues, for pities sake - a right slap in the face to honest users, if you ask me, as they were practically insinuating that all PPC TT users were potential software pirates), and shortly thereafter, no more map updates for v6 users either. Instead, they concentrated on PND (Personal Navigation Devices) instead (where they could make loads more money). Commercially, a not unreasonable decision, I will grant. However, the reasons they actually stated were at best spurious, and at worst grossly insulting.

Even now, bowing to pressure, they've only released PPC version 7 to retail - and that's obsolete as well, since version 8 is the current PND release, not to mention the problem that it will allegedly only run on very high-end PPCs/PDAs - their list of 'compatible' equipment is woefully short, to say the least.

That and their avoidance of interest groups and reviewers (have a look on PGPSW for more on that, or even on my blog) over the last two years, and my opinion of their board of management couldn't be much lower than wooden whale droppings on the bottom of the ocean.

The software itself is fine, if dated; the major replacement issue is in mapping, frankly.

Don't get me wrong: I LIKE the software. It's the company's treatment of it's customer base that's got me up in arms: It's at best ignorant, at worst contemptuous, of us, and I for one have had more than enough of their attitudes for one lifetime.

Therefore, I will not part with money to TomTom again. My hard-earned is going to one of their competitors instead, and I'm testing out SatNav trialware at the moment, looking for an adequate replacement.

You asked :)

Edited by G1LIW

Guest Polariz_666

Bad news on my front.

I decided to call Orange today and enquire about the TP2 again. After being told that the 28th was a good day to call back; I called today and I was told "I'm not sure why you were given a date because we tend not to get that sort of information. We have nothing on our system to indicate that we will be getting the TP2 - it might be on business but we can't get our hands on it. It doesn't sound likely as it would be very unusual to release such a handset when there's a big push on the HTC Hero, as it would counter the sales of the Hero. The best option is to try through someone else, because you can't get it on a business tariff as you aren't a business owner".

What's the phone number for Vodafone again? :)

Guest SuperCharger

well so far ive been using the resco media pack, prince of persia hd, and tomtom7. anyone recomend anything else. ive been trying some demos but a lot of software is outdated or just crashes completely. (stupid guitar hero mobile)

Guest Polariz_666

Well I moved to Vodafone, after 10 years of Orange service, and an average spend of £60 a month to get this phone. Speaking with Orange about this handset was frankly, a farce.

Guest G1LIW

You noticed that about Orange too, eh, Polariz? ;) Almost as bad as their "offer" for the TG-01, £50/month and a ton up-front? and STILL no decent dataplan? yeah, right. That's why I went to where I did (see above) and went Vodaphone :)

"The future's Bright - it's red and white" (evil grin)

• 3 weeks later...
You noticed that about Orange too, eh, Polariz? ;) Almost as bad as their "offer" for the TG-01, £50/month and a ton up-front? and STILL no decent dataplan? yeah, right. That's why I went to where I did (see above) and went Vodaphone :D

"The future's Bright - it's red and white" (evil grin)

I Hve given up on Orange. I went sim free and I love it. no nasty sosoftware and I bet we will

get the latest upgrade to win mob 6.5 :angry:

there are a few issues all minor but on the whole this is like my tytn II I love it all. all I need to do now is find some tweeking program and see if I can enable XT9 when using my keyboard by default... not the on screen keyboard.

I think this phone is lightyears ahead of the diamond/2 and touch