Battery drain when used as modem/internet sharing

Guest wraithy

Guest wraithy

Hi

I'm using Khuanchai's ROM that I installed about 4-5 months ago.

I haven't tried his recent ROMs because of being unable to download them (busy server).

The problem I'm having is that while using my phone as a modem using the internet sharing app (windows mobile 6.5) the phone's battery will slowly drain and gets very very hot.

Is there any way around this? It lasts about 6 hours then is completely drained and I have to charge it from the wall socket.

It seems the USB can't charge the phone as quickly as the internet usage is draining it.

Any ideas?

Guest aceofrazgriz

While using it as a modem, your constantly using the data connection, there is always something being sent or recieved. Whats hot is not the battery actually, most the heat is generated from the phones radio working constantly. Using the phone constantly like that will outpace the recharge process and theres not a whole lot you can do in that case.

Guest Tim-H

I was going to say try the multi adapter, but the usb and charge plug are on the same port so that wont work. As for the heat Aceofrazgriz is right. The heat everyone claims is their battery isn't. The heat is coming from below the battery where the radio and gps reciever are. I've never felt the battery get hot, or even warm. There is no way to eliminate the heat, but it helps if you elevate the bottom of the phone and maybe get some air flow through it.

If you don't mind the looks there is a 3000 mAh battery out there that will at least double your battery life, or you could get a spare battery to swap out. At 6 hours I think that is a pretty good amount of time for a tethered internet connection. If you are usually doing more than that I would invest in a spare battery or the higher mAh extended battery.

Guest wraithy
I was going to say try the multi adapter, but the usb and charge plug are on the same port so that wont work. As for the heat Aceofrazgriz is right. The heat everyone claims is their battery isn't. The heat is coming from below the battery where the radio and gps reciever are. I've never felt the battery get hot, or even warm. There is no way to eliminate the heat, but it helps if you elevate the bottom of the phone and maybe get some air flow through it.

If you don't mind the looks there is a 3000 mAh battery out there that will at least double your battery life, or you could get a spare battery to swap out. At 6 hours I think that is a pretty good amount of time for a tethered internet connection. If you are usually doing more than that I would invest in a spare battery or the higher mAh extended battery.

Yea you're right, it is the bottom of the phone and not the battery.

I'm sure there must be a solution. It charges fine if I surf the web on the phone itself while plugged into a mains charger. it gets slightly warm, but not hot.

Whats the deal with charging through usb?

Guest aceofrazgriz
USB ports provide a trickle charge, not the full charge provided by a wall adapter. Google is your friend :)

Correct! USB can only handle a certain amount of power to any device. While the device can handle more of a charge, you would need a charger that plugs into a wall outlet, but in this case, you wouldn't be able to tether through USB. Bluetooth, or using WiFi connection sharing is a possibility though.

Guest dna550

I have been using my SCH-i910 as a tethered modem extensively. I use the SAMSUNG ROMs.

The only time I have encountered a low battery problem is when the battery is not fully charged before tethering.

Try turning your phone off and charging with the wall charger.

Then tether and use it as a data modem.

If you still have problems with the battery stying charged I would consider these variables:

Is your wireless radio signal week? A week signal will use more more power as your SCH-i910 seeks the signal.

Is your battery healthy?

Consider installing the latest Samsung ROM.

I keep my battery at a full charge at most times and the SCH-i910 is often tethered for hours.

Your mileage may vary.

Edited by dna550

• 1 year later...
Guest DMoney1981

Hi, Can someone please comment on how much is the battery darinage in percentage when a we use Phone as a modem (PAM)

I am guessing it depends on the number of devices the are connected to it and/ or the DL/ UL traffic that passes through the PAM

is there a rule of thumb that says, it consumes 15% of a typical smartphone battery if its used for an hour (or something along those lines) assuming the only activity during that time is PAM

any information is highly appreciated