HTC Touch Pro & Standby of Death SOD

Guest Nick Le Lievre

Guest Nick Le Lievre

I had the Standby of Death SOD this is when the phone fails to come out of standby with a power button press. This issue only affects some people on some networks. I'm not sure if its a network problem or a software problem but as only a minority of people have it, I suspect its mainly a network problem there is a software solution.

The solution is to change the phone settings band option from auto 3G/2G to either 3G Only (WCDMA + UTMS 2100 in Europe) or 2G Only (GSM + AUTO) depending on your requirements.

Also read this thread new SIM solves problem where the resolution was to get a new SIM.

Obviously this only solves the problem when the crash is because of the sim and/or settings which impact the sim. To rule out a software cause its best to start with a hard reset.

Edited by Nick Le Lievre

• 3 months later...
I had the Standby of Death SOD this is when the phone fails to come out of standby with a power button press. This issue only affects some people on some networks. I'm not sure if its a network problem or a software problem but as only a minority of people have it, I suspect its mainly a network problem there is a software solution.

The solution is to change the phone settings band option from auto 3G/2G to either 3G Only (WCDMA + UTMS 2100 in Europe) or 2G Only (GSM + AUTO) depending on your requirements.

Also read this thread new SIM solves problem where the resolution was to get a new SIM.

Obviously this only solves the problem when the crash is because of the sim and/or settings which impact the sim. To rule out a software cause its best to start with a hard reset.

On Pro there ain't many reports of SOD, but in another case, the Diamond 2 is full of them.

That's not normal, get exchange with warranty or try at least hard-reset it to its initial settings and see if it improves the problem.