Goodbye Omnia & ROMS - thanks for the experience...

Guest le.bouch

Guest le.bouch
Plus they do have some pretty cool apps. There is one the allows you to use your iPhone as a siting aid for your rifle...now that's versatility.

That's insane! Searching now... :)

Guest shokka9

i dont think any phone will EVER fulfil all our needs..Not in this have-it-all, do-it-all world we now live in.

What we can just do is get the best WE think is best. Everyones got different opinion, and my opinion is something that has annoyed me for years (lots of years)..

I know the answer to my annoyance, but i may as well share it..Why dont Manufacturers of Phones/Devices/Tech make one device that is one supreme being??

I know its about demographics and spreading the cost & income etc etc...

But i think they would make more money if they concentrated on one or two handsets....maybe 3. Not a full range of 10-30 phones..

Omnia is very good, i am proud of it and rarely have issues with it. If i do, i cook something else ;) It has opened my eyes to PPC's, this is my first and will not be the last :)

iPhone is great, but for me is too basic, the build and quality of it is second to none, if i could just transplant my Omnia inside it...;)

There is so much to come from mobile devices in the near future.

Guest necosino

idk, the Omnia was pretty close.. Remember that vibrator app someone created? If a phone can't do that, it's not truly an all-in-one phone.. Let's seen iPhone do that..

We should dig up that thread, lol..

Guest T@R1Q

After 1 yr omnia usage, I felt:

1. Samsung is really a careless menufacturer which never tried to improve omnia.

2. Omnia camera is a crap 5 mp which mostly takes blury pic.

3. Win6.1 is too slow.

4. Always running for perfect custom roms over last 6 months, now i'm tired. Have not found a single custom rom with 85% stability.

5. Omnia battery drains shockingly quick while browsing.

6. Touch UI is annoying, though got better with unofficial winmo 6.5.

7. loads of crap free softwares.

8. Phone rings or vibrates after 3 seconds an incoming call arrives.

But I really like the concept of different UI that Omnia offers.

About Iphone3GS, Apple actually made significant changes which all Omnia users use to point agaist Iphone. But Apple's crap homescreen turns me off. Same old pathetic sceen which looks like a 10 yrs olds' hand game.

Omnia users, plz dont get me wrong but we have been running behind perfection for years but do u really think it's possible?

It's not coz the menufacturers like Samsung does not care about the old product. They're done with Omnia n they r now upto other devices. What they should do is at least give us an option to upgrade to Omnia2 or omniaHD......

I'm definitely off from winmo n samsung. Damn! still stuck on my 18 months contract which has still 6 months sufferings left.

Guest techmaster7545

Well my son had the first and second iphone and it sucks there just now getting copy and paste talk abt behind yea they are the ui is plain the serivce sucks and the phone sucks the reps i know even tell me they suck and people bring them back all the time

Guest le.bouch
Well my son had the first and second iphone and it sucks there just now getting copy and paste talk abt behind yea they are the ui is plain the serivce sucks and the phone sucks the reps i know even tell me they suck and people bring them back all the time

Ah - a technical review of the iPhone :) True, it's ridiculous that Apple only recently put Copy & Paste on the iPhone. But dare I say that the way they have done it is rather elegant..

With regards to service, maybe there is a US - UK difference here? At the moment it's only available in the UK on o2 - their nationwide 3G coverage is very good. I've found their customer service OK too - certainly as good as Vodafone which I was with for years.

I've read that AT&T 3G coverage is not 'all that' in the US?

Guest techmaster7545
Ah - a technical review of the iPhone :) True, it's ridiculous that Apple only recently put Copy & Paste on the iPhone. But dare I say that the way they have done it is rather elegant..

With regards to service, maybe there is a US - UK difference here? At the moment it's only available in the UK on o2 - their nationwide 3G coverage is very good. I've found their customer service OK too - certainly as good as Vodafone which I was with for years.

I've read that AT&T 3G coverage is not 'all that' in the US?

im stating just what i have seen in a side by side comparison at&t service sucks verizon is way better , and elegant or not there behind WM ,there touch response is good but other than that its a good paper weight!

Guest le.bouch
in a side by side comparison at&t service sucks verizon is way better

But that's nothing to do with the actual iPhone - or the Omnia for that matter

elegant or not there behind WM ,there touch response is good but other than that its a good paper weight!

I may have misunderstood you - you're suggesting that the iPhone OS is behind WM? If so I'd have to disagree - I have both on the table beside me.. WM certainly gives you more options to tweek and twiddle but what's the point if it's slow, buggy, inaccessible and inconsistent?

Guest arirang

i'm a geek by trade, and deviant by nature.

i dont like being locked in a ROM and live with its bugs until the OEM releases an over-hyped update with incremental 'improvements' on features or performance. thanks to the cooks and their uber-geekness, the cream does rise to the top, and i'm left licking my chops when i smell something good cooking.

i like multi-tasking. on a recent road-trip to visit friends and families, i had google latitude running in the background so they could track my progress, snapped pictures and videos then shared via MMS and MS facebook app, read tweets, watched videos on skyfire browser, and killed time reading my rss feeds--ALL were running/open/in-session simultaneously. i didnt have to hassle with saving/closing, relaunching to complete any of these tasks.

capacitive vs. resistive screen? both have pros and cons. i like the omnia's approach--resistive screen+capacitive pad.

i dont need ease of access to a portal where 'ifart' and 'pull my finger' are considered 'choices', AND for which there's a herd for both. i trust in communities like modaco, xda, ppc, and the ilk for their informal, open, and undeniably rigorous Q&A that follows with the release of a FREE application, or ROM. they can be as efficient, proficient, and innovative than a large corporation with a battalion of engineers and mountains of marketing cash--if not more.

finally, with my carrier i never missed or dropped a call. on my 1000+ mile road-trip, through your 1-stoplight towns, i literally had non-stop, continuous Home service. i take getting a call ANYWHERE for granted.

Guest dwaino86

ive completely given up on playing with Winmo. i havent played with ROMs (never could get it to work :) ), but have settled for a few useful apps.

i now rest all my hope on Android, or rather, Andromnia.

Guest Unisoldrew
I'm definitely off from winmo n samsung. Damn! still stuck on my 18 months contract which has still 6 months sufferings left.

Consider yourself lucky. I have exactly a year to go!

I've found myself looking at the iPhone 3GS but I suppose in a year's time there will be LOTS more choice and hopefully easier to lean more towards one particular option.

In the meantime, i'm running Ryrzy's ROM which is by far the best i've had. Very stable, very quick and coupled with some nice theme's makes the phone much more of a pleasurable experience than before.

I've ran Passoa's ROM for a while which was great with WM6.1, then Shokkoa's with WM6.5 but app's kept closing for some reason. Thanks to both for their efforts.

Oh well, 12 months here we come ...

Guest le.bouch
thanks to the cooks and their uber-geekness, the cream does rise to the top, and i'm left licking my chops when i smell something good cooking.

You're right - there's some superb work been done. What I got fed up with was the sheer investment of time it takes to find this out. Constant downloading, installing, researching, forum reading, downloading, installing, re-installing...

i like multi-tasking... google latitude... pictures and videos... MMS and MS facebook app, tweets, watched videos on skyfire browser... rss feeds--ALL were running/open/in-session simultaneously...

Wow. I'm not that much of a power user I guess. I have to say that my Omnia would have ground to a halt doing all that at the same time.

capacitive vs. resistive screen? both have pros and cons. i like the omnia's approach--resistive screen+capacitive pad.

I hated that resistive screen. Just hated it. Horses for courses.

i dont need ease of access to a portal where 'ifart' and 'pull my finger' are considered 'choices', AND for which there's a herd for both. i trust in communities like modaco, xda, ppc,

It's easy to pick the two most laughable apps, though. There are actually some quite good ones :)

I too like the punk ethos of the communities you mention - I'm not particularly interested in 'sticking it to the man' though - I just wanted a phone that did everything I wanted, easily.

with my carrier i never missed or dropped a call.

Are you on AT&T in the US? I'd always read that the 3G coverage was patchy to say the least?

As I said, the point of my original post was just to say:

1. If anyone didn't know, the iPhone is pretty good now. Not perfect though.

2. If anyone was considering ditching the Omnia or similar for the iPhone, here's my experience.

3. Apple is not as evil as I thought.

Guest rungvang

I've been using Omnia for like 6 months and I face some problems on my Omnia:

1. Slow reacting.

2. Shitty UI.

3. Touch screen...

but still, I didnt regret that I bought it.

I dont know why so many users have so many problems with ROMs, I'm using official ROM and It's quite stable.

Many ppl like to compare Omnia with Iphone 3G... or even 3G S, I dont see why you should do that, it like compare Windows with Mac OS. You cant say which one is better, Mac OS or Windows, it just depends on taste. I've heard from many Mac users that Mac OS is very easy to use, nice UI etc.... but I prefer Windows. Im using XP SP2 now. It fast, doesnt require powerful computer or much space on Hard drive, wide range of software which sometimes you cant find the same one which support Mac, especially if you are non-English user like me.

So I think between Omnia or Iphone is just matter of taste or the matter how well you tweak it.

The brilliant thing of Omnia is it has Windows Mobile which is buggy but endless of possibility. I dont like the software comes with Omnia, install the new one.

If you dont like the slow, shitty UI of Omnia, just install SBP Shell or something. Im using it now, it works fast, reacting well and quite finger friendly. If you dont like the stupid calendar of Omnia, just install the ThumbCal, etc....

The good thing about Iphone I think its touch screen, nothing else. Since they mostly sell locked Iphone here, in my place, which we have to unlock it before using, the signal is quite weak and it drains battery so fast. Thats why I didnt buy Iphone even it has super touch screen.

and the sad thing is some ppl even like to compare cameras on those 2.... honestly, dont do it. I can guarantee you that even an 50 bucks digital camera will blow the quality of Omnia, and of course, Iphone 3G S camera away. So, ppl, buy a normal digital camera instead of using those shitty phone cam. It is only handy when you have software which turning your phone into webcam.

Guest le.bouch
Actually, O2 has the lowest 3G coverage of anyone, less than Vodafone, T-Mobile, Three and Orange.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/lic...verage_maps.pdf

That's interesting, thanks. I admit my comment was based on personal and anecdotal experience.

I read yesterday that O2 could lose the iPhone as early as September 2009 and that Vodafone are the likely replacements...

Guest Unisoldrew
That's interesting, thanks. I admit my comment was based on personal and anecdotal experience.

I read yesterday that O2 could lose the iPhone as early as September 2009 and that Vodafone are the likely replacements...

That would be disastrous for me as O2 is the only network which works well in the building we live (an old listed building with VERY thick stone walls!)

Guest le.bouch
That would be disastrous for me as O2 is the only network which works well in the building we live (an old listed building with VERY thick stone walls!)

When I say 'lose', I think it means lose the exclusivity to the iPhone :)

Guest necosino

Apple isn't evil, huh? Did you hear about that apple worker committing suicide for fear of retribution after losing an iPhono prototype? Or how they treat their factory workers like slaves, worse than 95% of other manufacturers. Apple sues everyone, even small start-ups, that threaten them or risk taking even a minimal part of their market share. This is basically trying to create a monopoly!

Apple is evil, period.. :)

Guest szinski

/rant on

I too am becoming increasingly frustrated with my Omnia.

Texting is a joke... I've tried every available soft keyboard out there and it's next to impossible for me to text quickly and reliably without using the stylus. And when I *do* use the stylus, it's clunky, slow, and I still end up with tons of typos. Utterly frustrating! The other day I threw my Omnia across the room in frustration because it took me several minutes to send one freaking text message that should have only taken seconds. Grrr!!!

I'm almost at my wits end... I want to dump Verizon and go with the iPhone. But, I'm intrigued by the new Palm Pre and Verizon should have that phone early next year.

One last quip with the Omnia. One of the main reasons I purchased it was because of its built in GPS. I had visions of never getting lost again, the flick of a finger and having a full featured GPS at my fingertips. I purchased and installed Garmin's Mobile XT and discovered the GPS locked by Verizon. I waited 8 months, installed the beta ROM (and now the official ROM) and now have to wait seemingly forever for a satellite lock. Once I ended up driving all the way to my destination before it ever locked. Leaving the GPS turned on (GPS Toggle) drains my battery. So, no GPS for me.

I'm sick and tired of buggy software, fat-fingering everything -- using the phone without the crazy dangling stylus is next to impossible.

Just as the original poster said, when I bought this phone I REALLY wanted to love it. Now, almost a year later, I want to drive over it with my car. My love for Omnia has turned to hatred. Countless hours wasted trying to make the phone do what it's supposed to do. Countless nights being woken up by that insane "charging complete" notification that can't be turned off.

/rant off

Edited by szinski

Guest Nicklashidegard

I agree that the omnia isn't for everyone (my wife goes mental if she has to do ANYTHING on my phone... :) ). But that's the beauty of it, i LOVE it!!! I love flashing the ROM (every day) and i LOVE setting everything up and discovering new progs to play around with...

But not everyone is the same.. But there are heaps of phones out there so everyone should be able to fine that suits..

Omnia better or worse than an iPhone?? - Depends on the user..

Guest le.bouch
Apple is evil, period.. ;)

Wow. Heavy stuff. I stand corrected again. All I would add is open your drawer of shiny gadgets and Google any of the manufacturers. If you look hard enough, you'll find uncomfortable reading, particularly western companies using eastern manufacturing facilities. Apple is indeed evil. But then so is MS, Google, capitalism, the west in general. Oh and the east too. We're all shits really :)

Guest Slappa

Wow. This is by far the most civil Omnia vs iPhone thread I've seen on this board. Well done user-offline.pngle.bouch :)

Well, I handled an iPhone for the first time last week. I definitely liked the speed and accuracy with which it reacted to my fingers over the Omnia, but that's the capacitive over resistive screen at work...apples & oranges.

However, I don't really like the main screen of the iPhone, and SBP3 does it for me. I've not flashed my ROM, but have tweaked my phone a fair deal so it's pretty much as I would like it....as with many other people here, I enjoy fiddling around with gadgets, so what some may find an irritant with WinMo, I find a benefit over the iPhone OS.

But again, as people have pointed out, it's entirely down to preference. I'd recommend WinMo to others who want a tailored phone and the inclination to play around with it, and iPhone/Symbian for those who want a phone they can use out of the box.

Anyway, whatever works for you. And seeing as the App store doesn't have Day of the Tentacle, I'll say the Omnia is still ahead ;)

Guest snudel
Anyway, whatever works for you. And seeing as the App store doesn't have Day of the Tentacle, I'll say the Omnia is still ahead ;)

these things will guide winmo the way to victory :)

i enjoy playing old games on my phone. like duke nukem and warcraft.

but i agree to your whole statement above.

there is no right or wrong or even better and worse.

Guest GodsGift
these things will guide winmo the way to victory :)

i enjoy playing old games on my phone. like duke nukem and warcraft.

but i agree to your whole statement above.

there is no right or wrong or even better and worse.

Very good points.

Now where can I find monkey island 2 for my omnia ...... lol

GG