User get-out on Orange price hike

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Guest WearTheFoxHat
thumb_31-Jul-2009_Orange.png

Orange increases call charge for first out-of-bundle minute by 10p, a margin that enables customers to cancel contracts mid-term

Orange is to increase its minimum call charges in September by a margin that is enough to spring a release clause in customer contracts to enable them to cancel mid-term.

From September 1, Orange is increasing the minimum call cost for the first minute of out-of-bundle calls from 5p to 15p. Thereafter, present out-of-bundle rates apply.

Orange's own terms and conditions state subscribers may cancel their contracts if changes to contract terms result "in an excessive increase in the charges or changes that alter your rights under this contract to your detriment."

The new 10p increase on the first out-of-bundle minute allows customers to cancel.

Orange has also increased data charges to effectively 60p per day for up to 25MB usage, Mobile News understands.

An Orange spokesperson said: "Orange has increased its minimum call charge from 5p to 15p. So what this means is that if you go over your inclusive minutes, the first minute is now 15p and any other minute of that same call is as per your current out-of-bundle rates."

"Whilst our terms and conditions do allow customers to terminate their contract as a result of this change, we are confident that the majority of our customers will not be affected by this because of the nature of their talk plans and their usage."

"We work with our customers to ensure they have the best mobile phone tariffs to suit their individual needs, and any customer that does find they are using more than their allowance may benefit from migrating up to another talkplan."

I think Orange seriously underestimate how people get bored mid-way through a contract and yearn for the next must-have handset. This is especially true if they sign up for the new 18-month or 2-year contracts.

Do you have any plans to cancel mid-term? Let us know how you get on.

[Via: Mobile News]

Guest zippyioa
Update:

This site gives more info from a user perspective. Such as tactics that the orange customer services staff may employ to try to retain you. For example, they may ask you return the phone, but in actuality it's yours to keep!

Link: http://www.bitterwallet.com/orange-increas...-contract/15723

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I called Orange this morning, told them all about my annoyance at the change of contract terms (even though they wont really affect me!) and stated CLEARLY that it was my legal right to have my contract ended immediately.

I am only 5 months into an 18 month contract with Orange so I was expecting grief...... but the reply was...... "do you want a PAC code so you can take your number with you?"

RESULT, my contract ends on Monday and I was then free to nip out and buy the T-Mobile G2 Touch!

I am very happy, so thanks to the OP on this loophole!!!

Zippyioa

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WearTheFoxHat

Glad to be of assistance.

I hear that Orange are now applying to the Ofcom since so many people have taken up this offer, they want to restrict it now to only people whom it may affect. On another forum I use, people who have had a handset for less than a month have cancelled and retained their handset!

Somewhat amusing!

Guest zippyioa
Glad to be of assistance.

I hear that Orange are now applying to the Ofcom since so many people have taken up this offer, they want to restrict it now to only people whom it may affect. On another forum I use, people who have had a handset for less than a month have cancelled and retained their handset!

Somewhat amusing!

It serves them right for being greedy feckwits!! :)

For me it was perfect timing.... I REALLY wanted the Hero, but couldnt afford the £400... I was only 5 months into an 18 month Orange contract.... not any more, THANKS ORANGE!

Guest Mysterious Stranger

Changes to terms seemingly cancelled!...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/13/orange_folds/

""Orange apologises to those customers who found the [price change] messages unclear and any subsequent misunderstanding this has caused. We will be reviewing all policies and procedures for price changes to make sure that they are clearer in future.""

M.S

Guest Weasley

I cancelled my contract under the change of t&c which I am in my right but today I just received my final bill saying I need to pay Voluntary Termination of £107. I will call them up tomorrow and complaint about it. Does anyone have the same problem?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.