SCH-i601 BlackJack WM6 Upgrade Available!

Guest CybaCowboy

Guest CybaCowboy

As most Australian Samsung SCH-i600 series BlackJack users will know, both the manufacturer and the service providers have offered little or no information about upgrading to the (now old) Windows Mobile: Standard 6 operating system, from the pre-installed Windows Mobile 5 for Smartphones...

Usually, the answer is simply that it's "not available in Australia", despite the fact that a number of service providers overseas have made this update available as soon as it was released.

Anyway, I was looking at installing a foreign Windows Mobile: Standard 6 ROM when low-and-behold I found an official Windows Mobile: Standard 6 ROM upgrade, for my service provider too!

Yep, if you're a Telstra customer and you own a Samsung SCH-i601 BlackJack (ie. the original model), then you can now update your device in a matter of minutes and in your own home... If you run Microsoft's Windows 2000 or Windows XP (the ROM upgrade is not supported by other operating systems, I can't get it working under Microsoft's Windows Vista: Home Premium and Telstra appear to have not made an updated version of the ROM updater available).

The update can be found at the following address (there's also ROM updates for most of Telstra's other Windows Mobile-based devices too):

http://www.telstrabusiness.com/business/po...rgottenPassword

This update may work on the SCH-i600 also, but as it has slightly different hardware - a wireless networking ("Wi-Fi") radio, support for W-CDMA 2100MHz instead of W-CDMA 850MHz and a front-facing camera - you do so at your own risk...

And of course, regardless of which device you're using, always make sure you back-up your device first!