T-Mobile loses 87,000 UK customers

Guest tsutton

Guest tsutton
thumb_06-Aug-2009_TMobileLogo_5.jpg
T-Mobile loses 87,000 UK customers

Yikes, doesn't look very good for T-Mobile as they have lost 87,000 customers during the second quarter! However, the UK MD Richard Moat is putting finishing touches on a new strategy for the UK arm.

T-Mobile UK lost 87,000 customers during the second quarter, as Deutsch Telekom reported a 7.4% increase in profits.

While other Deutsch Telekom countries added customers T-Mobile UK reported a loss of 87,000 customers in the quarter ended June 2009, to 16.6 million customers. T-Mobile UK, customer revenue fell 1.9 % in the second quarter and 4.2% in the first half of the year.

Vodafone also made a net loss of customers in Q2 this year – a total of 159,000 in the same quarter. Meanwhile, Orange added 3,000, and O2 gained a massive 252,268.

So, it seems that T-Mobile is not the only company that are affected, others are seeing the same thing too. Is the recession to be blamed? Or other reasons? What do you think?

[Via: Mobile Magazine]

Guest Swampie

T-Mobile UK are being prepped for sale - and therefore they're looking to maximise profits, including probably getting rid of low profitability customers - and/or reducing subsidies on low priced tariffs etc - making them seem more expensive to the budget user. In turn, this will cause the budget users to leave/not move to T-Mobile.

Doing this will make T-Mobile UK seem more valuable and therefore attract a higher price. This is combined with them doing more to keep the higher value customers (see the thing about them giving an iPhone to high value customers who want to leave).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest vishalm

not supprised.

their phone range is crap.

and they arent bothered to keep customers any more.

I've been with them for 10ish years and when i asked to leave it was almost like they stuck the middle finger up and told me to f off.

They nearly lost me, but im hanging on as solo doesnt seems like too bad of a deal.

Guest tsutton

Sad but true... I remember the days where T-Mobile has very good range of mobile phones that I would be excited to look at. But not anymore. I'm currently out of contact with T-Mobile and there is no phones that I like to get next... yet.

I think the mobile phone market is too overflowed.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest andybarker

I wonder if all the job losses we have heard of mean that there are less people out there with two or more phones (personal and work). I suspect that a lot of people are thinking of ways of tightening their belt, and rationalising their phone collection is one way.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.