Quick question on flashing..

Guest Hoverauto

Guest Hoverauto

Been reading a lot about updating my omnia. Im not that adventurous so I was going to update to an official ROM via the Samsung website. The ROM I got was the DXIA5 one. Here is where my question comes in. The Samsung site said to follow these instructions:

[ Upgrade Instructions ]

Note: Please Back up or Save any phone information before upgrading your mobile.

Step 1 : Install ActiveSync 4.5

Step 2 : Connect your phone to PC via Samsung Mobile cable.

Step 3 : Backup your data using ActiveSync.

Step 4 : Install the Samsung OMNIA [Firmware Updater], which will guide

you through the installation process.

Which seemed very straight forward to me. I downloaded and installed ActiveSync and was going to follow the rest of the instructions...however I thought I would have a look on this forum first.

Then I saw the pinned thread on: HOW-TO FLASH I900 OMNIA TUTORIAL

Looking through that, it gives more or less the same safety instructions, ie turn off your firewall etc.

However the thread said this: Make Install the Samsung Modem Driver XP (once)

Nowhere on Samsung's website have they mentioned installing the XP Modem Driver.

Is this step important...or am I ok just following the instructions on Samsung's site?

I'm really worried about bricking my phone....It cost me an arm and a leg and I absolutely love it, so I wouldn't want it damaged.

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Cheers!

Guest Hoverauto

Come on guys...I cant believe there is no one that can help me here.....

You guys flash ROMs all the time.....just looking for some help....

anyone.....

Guest monyozt

makesure u're running on XP

then u just need install Activesync and samsung modem driver

then try to connect between your phone and PC

start flashing...

but i think DXIA5 is the newest OFFICIAL firmware version. but maybe you want to try WM 6.5 :)

Guest Hoverauto

Yeah im interested in a winmo 6.5 rom...can you suggest one? I need good battery life and the same camera performance from the official samsung Roms. Had a look through this forum and there are loads of Roms...its just that, everybody posts the screen shot of the memory info...while im really interested on how the rom will actually look, iie: the user interface.

Guest trektech

If you want to flash custom roms.. you need to install samsung modem XP driver or else flshing will not continue. also do not use usb hub, connect the samsung cable directly to your pc usb port.... hard reset before and after flashing....

Guest Hoverauto

Hey thanks viper67, looking at custom Roms now, and that link is awesome (if not a bit overwhelming) LOL. I understand now to fully enjoy this phone, you have to really customize it to what you want.

trektech, thank you for clearing that up for me! Cheers to you!

I believe Official DXIA5 ROM from Samsung is an Updater not Flasher :

- It checks your ROM version first, if you have later ROM ie DXID1, it won't upgrade. Flasher will replace your existing ROM w/o asking

- It formats your "My Storage" /internal disk by default - flasher give you option

- It relies on ActiveSync connection, ActiveSync require your WinMo is running. Flasher require to detect your Omnia as a modem, your WinMo is not starting yet, so it needs modem driver and why we have to power on the Omnia after running the flasher.