New Roms Leaves Unnecessary files (My Storage)

Guest Anupam Anand

Guest Anupam Anand

I'm updating my i900 rom every now and after installing new rom (mostly lite version) .... I install bunch of other softwares on "my storage" like MS Office (if not bundled with lite rom), games, etc....

I normally use "My Storage" for installating new softwares... and new rom installation never format "my storage"

But the problem is sometimes after updating rom i dont install the same prog which eventually leaves behind prog files of previous installation in "my storage" which are of no use now.... like say I used rom whch doesnt contain Office and i manually installed office on it in "my storage".

but in the next version of tht rom ms office came bundled , now the files related to ms office in "my storage" will remain unnecessary.

Can smbdy suggest a software to clean up those un-linked and junk files.

Thanks

Guest andylyf
I'm updating my i900 rom every now and after installing new rom (mostly lite version) .... I install bunch of other softwares on "my storage" like MS Office (if not bundled with lite rom), games, etc....

I normally use "My Storage" for installating new softwares... and new rom installation never format "my storage"

But the problem is sometimes after updating rom i dont install the same prog which eventually leaves behind prog files of previous installation in "my storage" which are of no use now.... like say I used rom whch doesnt contain Office and i manually installed office on it in "my storage".

but in the next version of tht rom ms office came bundled , now the files related to ms office in "my storage" will remain unnecessary.

Can smbdy suggest a software to clean up those un-linked and junk files.

Thanks

U dont need any software to do this type of simple job,

just browse to "my storage" and then delete those directory which you no longer in use or format My Storage...

simple as that...

Guest Anupam Anand

Its NOT as simple as u think as u think ................. take an example, if i install rom with an ultralite version with no extraa apps and i install manually apps with say 8 applications on "storage memory" space..... and later i find a rom with all those apps already installed within it (obviously in ph memory as rom installation only replaces the phone memory)....

then what would happen to the apps/programs files already on the ""storage memory"?

Guest andylyf
Its NOT as simple as u think as u think ................. take an example, if i install rom with an ultralite version with no extraa apps and i install manually apps with say 8 applications on "storage memory" space..... and later i find a rom with all those apps already installed within it (obviously in ph memory as rom installation only replaces the phone memory)....

then what would happen to the apps/programs files already on the ""storage memory"?

when u flash a new rom, all the previous files in storage memory will be erased and new files from the new rom will be installed.

Guest Anupam Anand
when u flash a new rom, all the previous files in storage memory will be erased and new files from the new rom will be installed.

Im not askin u but Im telling u tht the "Storage memory" remains intact during upgrage.... think u have neve upgraded ur omnia eve once..........

Edited by Anupam Anand

Im not askin u but Im telling u tht the "Storage memory" remains intact during upgrage.... think u have neve upgraded ur omnia eve once..........
No he is correct. The upgrade erases your internal memory. Unless you're talking about a Storage card (so many expressions floating arround) but you can laways chose what to erase when you flash and take care of the rest with a simple hard reset and/or format (whatever floats your boat).

And please anupam don't be a troll. I't doesn't matter how many times he upgraded his phone. Be glad that he's willing to help you. I doubt that you'll get many help with your tone of voice (or keys in this case).  :D

Guest andylyf

FYI, i have flashed my phone many times, maybe more times than u have s**.......

first you mention storage memory

normally use "My Storage" for installating new softwares... and new rom installation never format "my storage"

and then talk about device memory,

if i install rom with an ultralite version with no extraa apps and i install manually apps with say 8 applications on "storage memory" space..... and later i find a rom with all those apps already installed within it (obviously in ph memory as rom installation only replaces the phone memory)....

you are the one getting confused here....you better be clear what you want to ask before telling people off.... wat a d***

and i dont think i have answered you wrong.

When you flash a rom, the DEVICE MEMORY will be erased, therefore whatever programs or files you had eariler will be GONE, new file/programs from the new rom will be installed.

For My Storage, the programs/files will remain intact, unless you format My Storage. Those programs which you installed earlier will still be there, in DIRECTORY. IT CAN BE DELETED as and when you like, or you can choose to leave it there.

Kan NI Nah, Gek Lin Jia Lai Ji Dow Kao Peh Kao Bu, Buay Hiao Ai Ge Kiang, Ki Si La, Kan Ni Nah Buay Chao Chee Bye

Edited by andylyf

There's 2 kind of ROM updater, the official Samsung Updater like DXIA5, will format your device memory & bundled Storage Card aka Storage (8/16 GB) w/o asking. The Custom ROM Updater, usually only format your device memory (see the unticked "Large Internal Disk" option ?)

Everytime you install a program to My Storage, it may create some registry in device memory. Therefore, when you flash a new ROM, the installed program in My Storage/Program Files/ may not working since their registry setting are erased. So you can delete these programs and YES, just delete those progs which already provided in ROM for not wasting your storage card.

Guest Anupam Anand

One line....

"Whn u say "Storage memory" it means 8/16 GB Memory of ur omnia... which remains intact after upgrade. ROM always use internal memory that is the Device Memory"

Guest Anupam Anand
Everytime you install a program to My Storage, it may create some registry in device memory. Therefore, when you flash a new ROM, the installed program in My Storage/Program Files/ may not working since their registry setting are erased. So you can delete these programs and YES, just delete those progs which already provided in ROM for not wasting your storage card.

I think u better understood my problem.... but the prob is that when u flash new rom every now and install many progs in "My Storage" after every upgrade, it leaves behind many progs folders in "My Storage" which r of no use. Is it ok to delete all files in prog files in My Storage before flashing new rom?