De-brand your Orange / T-Mo etc. device via nandroid!

Guest PaulOBrien

How to 'go generic' (or just completely revert your existing device)...

- Install the custom recovery image from here

- Do a nandroid backup to your SD card by booting into the recovery image (power on with 'Home' held down) and selecting 'nandroid backup'

- Turn off your device

- Take the SD card out, and put it in your PC

- Copy the contents of this zip above to the /nandroid/HT*/ directory backup on the SD card (the HT* bit will be your device serial number) - keep the 'ORIGINAL' directory intact

- Put the SD card back in your device

- Turn on your device while holding down 'Home' to enter the recovery partition again

- Connect your USB cable - if you're not rooted, you may need to enable 'USB Debugging' in Applications -> Development

- On your PC type 'adb shell' then 'nandroid-mobile.sh -r'

- When prompted for an image name type ORIGINAL (which is the name of the directory you put on your SD right?). Press enter again to accept the restore option.

- Wait

- Reboot

ALL DONE! :D

P

Guest blackhorse

Hey i couldnt quite figure out where i should of been putting the original folder.

Have sorted it though, i copied and replaced the back up contents with the original folder contents, went into nandrioid and performed a restore from latest back up

Seems to have done the trick!

Does this sound ok?

Edited by blackhorse

Guest zyborg

Again, the guide is not optimal (sorry...but it's unfortunately true)

In blackhorse's case, the phone is not rooted, in which case you should go to Settings > Applications > Development and select 'USB Debugging'. Now, it is possible to access the recovery image on your phone's SD card through the command prompt on your PC.

If your have trouble finding the ORIGINAL recovery image (as of now, from nandroid-Hero_HTC_WWE_1.76.405.6_WWE.zip) using the 'nandroid-mobile-sh -r' command in the command prompt, you should try using lowercase letters (e.g. 'original'). In my case, nothing was found, when I wrote the name in uppercase.

Also, the guide doesn't mention that you should enter 'original' again and press Enter once prompted. Once you've done that, the flashing of the recovery image copied to the SD card will start.

I would edit/update the guide as follows (from step #9):

- On your PC type 'adb shell mount /sdcard' and press Enter.

- On your PC type 'adb shell' and press Enter.

- On your PC type 'nandroid-mobile.sh -r' and press Enter.

- When prompted for an image name type 'original' (which is the name of the directory you put on your SD right?) and press Enter.

- Once prompted, confirm the image name by entering 'original' again and then press Enter to accept the restore option.

- Wait for the image restore process to complete.

- Reboot.

---

This is what should be displayed in your PC command prompt window:

adb shell

/ # nandroid-mobile.sh -r

nandroid-mobile.sh -r

nandroid-mobile v2.1

Using G1 keyboard, enter a directory name substring and then <CR>

to find matches or just <CR> to accept default: original

original

Using original string to search for matching backup directories

Looking for the latest backup, will display other choices!

Default backup is the latest: /sdcard/nandroid/HT*/original

Other available backups are:

Using G1 keyboard, enter a unique name substring to change it and <CR>

or just <CR> to accept: original

original

Restore path: /sdcard/nandroid/HT*/original

Verifying backup images...

boot.img: OK

cache.img: OK

data.img: OK

misc.img: OK

recovery.img: OK

system.img: OK

Flashing boot...

flashing boot from boot.img

Flashing recovery...

flashing recovery from recovery.img

Erasing /data...

Unpacking data image...

end of image

Erasing /system...

Unpacking system image...

end of image

Restore done

/ #

Hey i couldnt quite figure out where i should of been putting the original folder.

Have sorted it though, i copied and replaced the back up contents with the original folder contents, went into nandrioid and performed a restore from latest back up

Seems to have done the trick!

Does this sound ok?

Edited by zyborg

Guest zyborg

Is it possible to remove the 'brand' boot screen from the phone? I have a T-Mobile G2 Touch phone, and after flashing the original image, it still displays 'G2 Touch T-Mobile" as the first screen when booting... would be nice to have that removed too.

Edited by zyborg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Funkyfin2000

CAn I just ask if this section here:

- Take the SD card out, and put it in your PC

- Copy the contents of this zip above to the /nandroid/HT*/ directory backup on the SD card (the HT* bit will be your device serial number) - keep the 'ORIGINAL' directory intact

- Put the SD card back in your device

Can be done via the phone/PC rather than taking out the SD card? I have ordered a micro SD to SD convertor to allow me to do the above but awaiting delivery.

• 1 month later...
Guest havoc99

I tried doing this to my T-Mobile G2 Touch (UK) but I get stuck at the G1 keyboard typing part. Is there anyway to remove the boot screen from my Hero? I've flashed the latest v2 update available for the HERO so the only remnants of T-Mobile is the annoying boot screen? I was thinking I could change the boot files from the original with the one I have in my nandroid folder, however, not wanting to brick my handset wanted to know if that would work? Any help appreciaited.

Guest yabbas

Wowsers...

Will this really work? Would following Paul's advice completely remove T-Mobile faff screens and allow me to install the HTC OTG updates directly from their servers (albeit with a serial number change to get the update in the first place)?

Prey tell why hasn't everyone done this now? lol Any drawbacks here?

Thanks guys!