Samsung i7500 problems (Italy - Germany)

Guest Gintoki

Guest Gintoki

Hi guys, i'm italian and i wanted to tell you that the i7500 has many problems, which are largely discussed about in a lot of forums:

1) Battery life: even for an Android, the battery life is REALLY low, but in many cases it became longer with the use of the device. Many people tried to remove the skin case and noticed a significant improvement: they said that the case was too tight and continuously pressed a button that kept the display turned on, therefore consuming energy.

2) Display: it has a flickering problem, in some cases this problem is unnoticeable, in other cases it's very annoying. Someone said that it's a sort of interference due to 2G connection, but in the end it's not sure if it's an hardware or a software problem.

3) Firmware: Samsung released a new firmware to improve battery life, but this upgrade brought further problems: it causes casual reboots, mysterious disappearing of some market apps, and often doesn't prolong very much battery life.

So, i hope that the galaxys that you will get in england will have those problems fixed. I also hope we'll get a new firmware soon...

Can you please tell in this thread if your galaxys present those problems? Every i7500 user would be grateful knowing that you haven't got any malfunction.

Sorry for my poor english and good surfing!

Guest Gintoki

Almost EVERY device has those problems...if you read italian and deutsch forum you'll see a LOT of complaints, many people sold their galaxy soon after buying it...

We don't know if the galaxys in english stores will be well-functioning and fixed, but we hope that at the same time Samsung will release a new firmware...

I'm not buying a galaxy before they fix those problems...

Guest kam187
Hi guys, i'm italian and i wanted to tell you that the i7500 has many problems, which are largely discussed about in a lot of forums:

1) Battery life: even for an Android, the battery life is REALLY low, but in many cases it became longer with the use of the device. Many people tried to remove the skin case and noticed a significant improvement: they said that the case was too tight and continuously pressed a button that kept the display turned on, therefore consuming energy.

Actually this is mostly due to the new firmware which causes many reboots (usually 3 but upto 10) every day. I tried to logcat it, but havnt captured the reboot yet. It is probably due to a resource error. This didnt occure in the original firmware, but that firmware had a bad memory leak in the location subsystem.

2) Display: it has a flickering problem, in some cases this problem is unnoticeable, in other cases it's very annoying. Someone said that it's a sort of interference due to 2G connection, but in the end it's not sure if it's an hardware or a software problem.

I havnt noticed this at all on my device. Theoretically it could be due to a harmonic from the GSM BCCH polling. But I think this is unlikely since the display bus is digitally encoded. It is most likely an issue with the firmware and drivers. If i could reproduce it on my phone I could probably tell you what it is. I suspect it is a driver problem tho.

3) Firmware: Samsung released a new firmware to improve battery life, but this upgrade brought further problems: it causes casual reboots, mysterious disappearing of some market apps, and often doesn't prolong very much battery life.

It appears that google check the hardware ID to check if it is a developer device. In fact this is a negative filter. So if the device isnt in the whitelist, protected apps are not shown in the market. It seems that something changed in the new firmware. Google are aware of the problem and supossed to be fixing it :-/

So, i hope that the galaxys that you will get in england will have those problems fixed. I also hope we'll get a new firmware soon...

Can you please tell in this thread if your galaxys present those problems? Every i7500 user would be grateful knowing that you haven't got any malfunction.

Sorry for my poor english and good surfing!

The O2 galaxy is suposed to be released next week. I suspect a new firmware will be released in parallel to fix alot of these issues.

Edited by kam187

Guest Gintoki
I havnt noticed this at all on my device. Theoretically it could be due to a harmonic from the GSM BCCH polling. But I think this is unlikely since the display bus is digitally encoded. It is most likely an issue with the firmware and drivers. If i could reproduce it on my phone I could probably tell you what it is. I suspect it is a driver problem tho

kam187, you sure know a lot of things, i'm impressed!

What a "harmonic" and a "GSM BCCH polling" are? i don't know very much about mobile phones...

So are you sure that the flickering isn't an hardware problem? That would be great...

Edited by Gintoki

Guest kam187
kam187, you sure know a lot of things, i'm impressed!

What a "harmonic" and a "GSM BCCH polling" are? i don't know very much about mobile phones...

So are you sure that the flickering isn't an hardware problem? That would be great...

The BCCH polling channel is a frequency your mobile listens to to check if there's anything new from the network like an incoming call. If there is, it opens a new channel to manage the call. GSM operates with bursts of data at 900Mhz, 1800Mhz etc, which are way to fast for you to hear or see (if they interfered with the screen for example). But how often these burst happen are in the Hz range. That means that the bursts happen a few times a second.

When the bursts start/stop this causes a harmonic or a kind of wave in the range that you can hear or see. Its that Bzz Bzz noise you hear on your car radio when you phone is about to ring! This can cause interferance in amplifiers (like the one used for the speaker). Its possible this could cause distortion in the data to the LCD driver, or the carrier wave it uses. More likely tho its a calibration problem on the display itself. It should be fixable with a firmware update.

Its also possible that the display firmware isnt updatable from the phone OR there is a hardware component thats failed. I think thats less likely tho.

The main problem with the galaxy right now is the crappy new firmware!

Guest kam187
Thank you again Kam187!

A little question: When is the Galaxy supposed to appear in UK stores? are there any news about a new firmware?

From next week. 459 pounds. You can now get it from ebay for 379 euros shipped (about 325 pounds)

Guest spupuz
From next week. 459 pounds. You can now get it from ebay for 379 euros shipped (about 325 pounds)

i paid it 350 euros in italy from an ebay user.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I am thinking of buying the galaxy but i just red this thred and i was dissapointed...

Has samsung released any upgrade that solves the rebooting and battery consumption problem.

I find galaxy on german ebay for 300 euros. Is it worth or should I wait and see what happens with new roms.

Are there any custom roms that solve these problems?

Thanks

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
Hello. I am thinking of buying the galaxy but i just red this thred and i was dissapointed...

Has samsung released any upgrade that solves the rebooting and battery consumption problem.

I find galaxy on german ebay for 300 euros. Is it worth or should I wait and see what happens with new roms.

Are there any custom roms that solve these problems?

Thanks

Cheers

Reboot problems are fixed, and the latest rom is alot faster. I still prefer it over the hero :)