OpenGL ES 3D drivers, v1 compatibility layer

Guest michael2006

Hi there,

I am using H9 rom, and I see the 3 DLLs (libEGL.dll,libGLESv1_CM.dll and libGLESv2.dll) are there in Windows directory. Do I need to replace all of them with the attachments in the thread in order to get OpenGL apps to work??

Guest darkxz
Current Mobile GPUs: Triangles/sec, Fill Rate

Nintendo DS: 120,000 triangles/s, 30 M pixels/s

PowerVR MBX-Lite (iPhone 3G): 1 M triangles/s, 100 M pixels/s

Samsung S3C6410 (Omnia II): 4 M triangles/s, 125.6 M pixels/s

ATI Imageon (Qualcomm MSM72xx): 4 M triangles/s, 133 M pixels/s

PowerVR SGX 520 (Palm Pre): 14 M triangles/s, ___ M pixels/s

ATI Imageon Z430 (Toshiba TG01): 22 M triangles/s, 133 M pixels/s

PowerVR SGX 535 (iPhone 3GS): 28 M triangles/s, 400 M pixels/s

Sony PSP: 33 M triangles/s, 664 M pixels/s

Future Mobile GPUs:

PowerVR SGX 540 (TI OMAP4): 35 M triangles/s, 1000 M pixels/s

Nvidia Tegra APX2500 (Zune HD): 40 M triangles/s, 600 M pixels/s

ATI Imageon _ (Qualcomm QSD8672): 80 M triangles/s, >500 M pixels/s

Samsung S3C6410 speed is 600mhz in datasheet but o2 is 800mhz . I don,t know if that mean 25% more triangles than the official specs.

I dont know much about 3d , open gl , i want to know if graphics perfomance is important in regular aplications (no games ) like opera

browser , skyfire , office ..

Sorry my english.

the newset datasheet i saw, that s3c6410 can perform up to 9M triangles/s and fully support OpenGL ES 1.1/2.0.

As I read on Samsung Official space it say that "# Better load balancing by relieving the CPU from cycle intensive 3D graphics functions" .

Hope this mean higher triangles/s can perform.

Guest michael2006
As I read on Samsung Official space it say that "# Better load balancing by relieving the CPU from cycle intensive 3D graphics functions" .

Hope this mean higher triangles/s can perform.

Hey, any link? I am interested to read that. Thanks!

Guest surenz

http://www.samsung.com/global/system/busin...c6410_rev40.pdf

here you can see on the second page:

533/667/800MHz operating frequency

9M triangles/sec 3D graphics accelerator with OpenGL ES 1.1 / 2.0, D3DM API support

not so good like Cortex-A8's PowerVR SGX 535 but also not so bad like the previous generation GPUs

edit: I saw also on the sixth page:

Rendering performance @Max freq. (133MHz)

•Peak vertex geometry performance (transform only): 9.28M vertices/s

•Vertex geometry performance with single light condition: 7.55 vertices/s

•Shaded fill rate: 125.6M pixel/sec

•Bilinear-filtered textured fill rate with Alpha blending: 37.8M pixel/sec

Edited by surenz

Guest Chainfire

I was indeed referring to the 9M/s. Current HTC's do 4M/s. Still, it seems 3D performance on the Omnia II is nowhere near that figure - not to mention that Snapdragon will have almost 10x faster than that.

As to the relevance question, it depends on the application. For example, TouchFlo3D uses OpenGL for 3D and thus could not be so fast. Opera 9.7 can use GL if present - but you can probably also turn it off. SPB Mobile Shell can also use GL for some parts.

Most applications, however, use 2D graphics APIs, and these are really fast on the Omnia II, especially if you compare to devices like the Touch Pro 2.

Edited by Chainfire

Guest NuShrike

For many "benchmark" programs.. the hardware using the Samsung layer performs worse than a 100MHz machine. You would prefer to go back to a Kaiser.

It's really disappointing how poor a situation Samsung currently is in with their creedo of using their own custom hardware instead of sticking with external vendors especially with market leader PowerVR. My impression is this is Samsung's gen 0 of 3D hardware and PowerVR is what.. gen 12? There's just no comparison.

Samsung, you better put out a performing SDK or you will inherit the Qualcomm legacy crown for crappy 3D hardware.

Edited by NuShrike

Guest GinKage

In short:

NFS: Undercover is now almost working nice. Though, it has some memory-related issues and thread incostistency.

Spb Mobile Shell 3.5 is rendered nicely, but tapping on a panel doesn't select it. Same in Messaging. So, 3D effects in it are absolutely pointless atm.

Xtrakt won't run yet, need to rewrite some gl functions completely.

glBenchmark made some really good performance progress in HD test, and all other tests are also working quite good.

Opera Mobile 9.7 works almost nice, but with some strange Viewport issues.

All this work is a struggle between strangely coded apps (relying on a Qualcomm's implementation), the GL standard itself and Samsung's own plain bugs.

For example, some workarounds that we had to implement:

glGetDisplay(0) fails. It should work with a zero argument, by standard, but it fails in Samsung's driver.

Try calling glGetString() before glInitialize(), and you'll crash. (COD2 does this)

Got configAttribs wrong? Too bad, no GL for you. Ever.

Want too many configs (Xtrakt asks for 4096)? Get crashed.

Want to create many buffers? After buffer 100, you'll get GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY on 101st one, now matter how big or small those buffers are. (Also fails to run Xtrakt)

glGetIntegerv(GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS) returns 0 instead of 2. That one totally breaks NFS.

On the contrary, glGetIntegerv(GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE) returns 2048, but in reality, every texture larger than 512x512 is going to be ignored at all, with some allocaton errors in debugger output. You could use S3TC, but you'll need to implement it first. Oh, and that's DXT1 only, not even DXT5. Without alpha.

And don't forget to create mipmaps, or GL_*_MIPMAP_* won't draw anything at all!

We also needed to recreate a lot of gl* functions from scratch, not only the ones that were in the "original" v1 driver (e.g. glDrawTexOES extension for Spb).

And so on...

I hope that in the nearest future we will overcome glBenchmark's alpha-blending issues, as well its hanging between tests, and also make NFS: Undercover working stable and nice. And, who knows, maybe even somehow fix Spb MS3.5... After that, I think we're ready for some [pre-]alpha version release.

Guest maxw3l
All this work is a struggle between strangely coded apps (relying on a Qualcomm's implementation), the GL standard itself and Samsung's own plain bugs.

This is what happens when standards are ignored! Thanks guys for putting in all the effort to get these devices working as they should. Can't wait for the test versions.

Guest rumkokos

I'm sorry maybe i got this wrong, but reading GinKage's post.. first thought that came across my mind when i finished was: what the f*ck were samsung devs doing? I mean seriously! They came out with omnia i900 creating a great dev support doing stuff for the phone without asking money in return.. and now samsung made a promising phone on the paper, released it and now what? are they relying on modaco developers to finish up the coding part that they either messed up or didnt even have the manpower to make the freaking code run nice, smooth and bugless?! I was and kind of still am a big omnia fan, i bought samsung L810 and i think thats the worst phone i ever bought, i swore i'd never buy samsung again. but then they came up with omnia and i thought it was a great phone, they came out with othre cool phones and now omnia II and i think its great.

I was always aware of they having code problems and its winmo and well u know tweaks are a must and stuff.. but this is just about outrageous!! You cant have voluntary coders write the freaking code from scratch because the company's code is pure s***! If that is not insane i dont know what is. Why we buying phones anyway? We got the coders, we can get a piece of plastic, a glass capacitive screen and a batery plus a small camera ourselves why bother wasting money on samsung ...

This is insane i'm sorry but its pure bs... If i were you guys.. with that code knowledge... i'd gather all the coders have them apply for a job at HTC offer them skills get their phones sky high and eliminate samsung. OR send a job application to Samsung and tell them 5 coders from modaco got more clue than the whole freaking samsung dev squad...

Samsung what the hell were you thinking? Its like making a ferrari and then forget to determine wether to use disel or gas or olive oil... it practically runs on everything.. just that it only reaches up to 20 miles per hour with any of them. No let the buyers wait for someone to invent the damn mixture that actually powers the ferrari to 200 mph as it says "in the specs"...

So i honestly hope i got GinKage alll wrooong and you guys gonna get omnia II up and running at full throttle in no time. Or else i'm buying a freaking Morse code manual and a Maglite® Flashlight! That battery lasts for ages for comunicating in 2G, 3G.. in fact any G.

Guest the_KIT

Thanks GinKage for the timely update! Thank you all for the hard work too!

But from his description, it sure does seems like Samsung has done a bad job in maintaining to coding standards. But what are the standards btw? Sorry i've no knowledge of the codes in this field. I wonder if Samsung is reading this... :)

Guest rumkokos
But from his description, it sure does seems like Samsung has done a bad job in maintaining to coding standards. But what are the standards btw? Sorry i've no knowledge of the codes in this field. I wonder if Samsung is reading this... :)

Hope they are... and that they are ashamed of themselves...

From the progress, do you think there is any chances of TF3D working on our phones? Best if there would be a estimated timeline or progress-line of some kind!

I'm sure everyone is waiting bad for our open gl v1 to work on our phones!

Guest rumkokos
From the progress, do you think there is any chances of TF3D working on our phones? Best if there would be a estimated timeline or progress-line of some kind!

I'm sure everyone is waiting bad for our open gl v1 to work on our phones!

Why would u want TouchFlo3D on ur OMNIA?? Buy HTC then (i imagine you'd want a samsung cube or xperia panels then) :)

Btw "nice one" on pushing the devs to give you estimated time when they will have their VOLUNTARY job done! Either u got big balls or you are as shameless and faceless as it gets.. Donate them 500$ each, i asure you they will inform you weekly with their progress line.

Yes u are sure that everyone is waiting for the devs finish their job. Only most of us have the courtesy to sit back and keep our mouth shut ... If we do have to "open" them... we try to encourage the devs in a good way and not rushing them. Imagine dev's just WAITING like you are, for the GL to be complete... they arent waiting they are working... for free. So if u do want to speed things up, do it the right way and donate the money or sit back and pray that time passes by quickly and that in that time the devs would be able to complete the much needed work.

:(

Why would u want TouchFlo3D on ur OMNIA?? Buy HTC then (i imagine you'd want a samsung cube or xperia panels then) :)

Btw "nice one" on pushing the devs to give you estimated time when they will have their VOLUNTARY job done! Either u got big balls or you are as shameless and faceless as it gets.. Donate them 500$ each, i asure you they will inform you weekly with their progress line.

Yes u are sure that everyone is waiting for the devs finish their job. Only most of us have the courtesy to sit back and keep our mouth shut ... If we do have to "open" them... we try to encourage the devs in a good way and not rushing them. Imagine dev's just WAITING like you are, for the GL to be complete... they arent waiting they are working... for free. So if u do want to speed things up, do it the right way and donate the money or sit back and pray that time passes by quickly and that in that time the devs would be able to complete the much needed work.

:(

I dont know whats your problem,i am just asking nicely. Seriously if ur in a bad mood please get out of this thread. Bought O2 due to its specs, not for the program. Alot of people here prefer TF3D to touchwiz. Your reply was definitely undesirable and rude.

Edited by Kel-

Guest Ganhiru

'Hi I hope you are still interested in Triangle2.exe info, here it comes:

i8000NXXIJ3 Rom

CPU HIGH: 49 FPS

Seems the same with what I saw in previous Roms.

Guest GinKage

This is only interesting in that J3 seems to have Samsung's v1 implementation working again (it was broken some time ago).

Anyway, we don't use it anymore. We have our own implementation, which is almost twice as fast.

BTW, what is new or different in J3?

Guest Albertri

I have the J1 rom running on WM6.5 build 21856.5.0.65. Screentex ver 1 wont run it gives me an error. while screentex v2 runs smooth and fast. I mean was it's very responssive to touch, when you swipe the screen the graphics will spin fast and it takes awhile to stop.

Guest the_KIT
I have the J1 rom running on WM6.5 build 21856.5.0.65. Screentex ver 1 wont run it gives me an error. while screentex v2 runs smooth and fast. I mean was it's very responssive to touch, when you swipe the screen the graphics will spin fast and it takes awhile to stop.

wow...is it possible to post a video?