22/Jan - Stock ROMs + radios in update.zip format for GSM Hero

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest AndyCr15

I haven't read every post, so apologies if this has been covered... to install the new radio, you name is update.zip, place it on the root of the SD card and update through the 'Home' and 'Power on' method?

Then, I push the new ROM named update.zip and do the same?

Guest gavinfabl

With a few panics, I after following all the instructions :) updated to the latest and greatest generic rom. Fine for me and plenty of room. Seems nippier now but will see how it performs over the next few days.

Thanks Paul :)

Guest scoobytwo

ok i just installed the newOrange UK 1.76.61.3 rom without doing a wipe. It all went ok but apart from my favorite contacts now being blank, i can't actually notice a difference? :) Is there a way of telling

ok i just installed the newOrange UK 1.76.61.3 rom without doing a wipe. It all went ok but apart from my favorite contacts now being blank, i can't actually notice a difference? :) Is there a way of telling

That's not new. The operator builds haven't been updated yet :)

P

Guest scoobytwo

oooookaay, now im very confused. Is that wink a wink in a nudge nudge wink wink kinda way or am i a complete spanner and installed the same rom? :)

i had assumed the network roms were modded.

Edited by scoobytwo

Guest GuyAdams

Just about to flash the latest ROM but can someone please confirm something for me....

Am I supposed to create a EXT3 partition on my SD card for the A2SD???

and

If so, how big do I need to create that partition?

and

If so, at the front or the back of the SD card?

Thanks all.

Im the first one to admit Im not really getting all the wonders of the Hero. What exactly does the newer radio do? Can it get my non existent wifi to work?

And will installing the generic radio overwrite my modaco 2.0 somehow?

Guest gavinfabl

I must say that the Generic Rom including the new radio is bug free so far with some amazing improvements. Seems the custom Rom is causing more issues . Fortunately I don't need to root as happy as is.

My favourite new feature is in the calculator . Pressing the numbers creates a red twirling effect.

Guest cdmackay
Im the first one to admit Im not really getting all the wonders of the Hero. What exactly does the newer radio do? Can it get my non existent wifi to work?

And will installing the generic radio overwrite my modaco 2.0 somehow?

Many people report that the updated radio has improved phone reception, and also some wifi issues. My own wifi problems to seem to be less, with it.

The radio and ROM updates from MoDaCo are independent: neither will overwrite the other.

Guest cdmackay
Am I supposed to create a EXT3 partition on my SD card for the A2SD???

If so, how big do I need to create that partition?

If so, at the front or the back of the SD card?

Create the partition only if you want to use apps-to-sd. It's optional. If you create the partition it will detect it and start installing apps there.

If you do create it, note that it needs to be of type ext3 (not ext4) and it needs to be the second partition, after the first FAT32 partition.

If you tihnk you might also want to play games with "swapper" in the future, then create a third partition, of type linux-swap(v1).

Suggested sizes are:

1. FAT32 -

2. ext3/a2sd - 512MB

3. linux-swap - 32MB

Guest leizhang
Many people report that the updated radio has improved phone reception, and also some wifi issues. My own wifi problems to seem to be less, with it.

The radio and ROM updates from MoDaCo are independent: neither will overwrite the other.

I'm currently with MoDaCo 1.5 ROM.

I wish to update radio ALONE.

How can I do it without affecting 1.5 ROM? Just reboot into recovery and install update.zip (radio)?

Or should I do nandroid backup first, then install the radio, and finally roll back with nandroid backup?

Guest cdmackay
Many thanks for confirmation.

BTW, is it mandatory to format SD card before uploading radio file into it?

If this is a brand-new, empty SD card, then I always think it's worth letting the device in question - in this case the Hero - format it itself, rather than doing it in a PC.

But if this is anything other than a new empty card, then no, do not format it. the radio update is just a file, and can be copied across as normal.

then boot the recovery image, and select the radio update from its menu.

Couple of other points when flashing the radio:

- whilst flashing, there is an icon showing a big box emptying itself into the phone. This is ok.

- after installing radio, it will boot back into recovery image and say "formatting CACHE". There is no done message, so just reboot again when able.

Guest leizhang
If this is a brand-new, empty SD card, then I always think it's worth letting the device in question - in this case the Hero - format it itself, rather than doing it in a PC.

But if this is anything other than a new empty card, then no, do not format it. the radio update is just a file, and can be copied across as normal.

then boot the recovery image, and select the radio update from its menu.

Couple of other points when flashing the radio:

- whilst flashing, there is an icon showing a big box emptying itself into the phone. This is ok.

- after installing radio, it will boot back into recovery image and say "formatting CACHE". There is no done message, so just reboot again when able.

DONE :)

Guest GuyAdams
Create the partition only if you want to use apps-to-sd. It's optional. If you create the partition it will detect it and start installing apps there.

If you do create it, note that it needs to be of type ext3 (not ext4) and it needs to be the second partition, after the first FAT32 partition.

If you tihnk you might also want to play games with "swapper" in the future, then create a third partition, of type linux-swap(v1).

Suggested sizes are:

1. FAT32 -

2. ext3/a2sd - 512MB

3. linux-swap - 32MB

Many thanks cdmackay

Guest AndyCr15

Brilliant, thanks.

So I'm now partitioned and using this latest ROM -

1) Will my apps automatically install to the SD card now?

2) How do I move apps I already have installed to the SD card?

3) If I wipe, do the apps stay there and detect as installed, with settings remaining and everything?

Many thanks.

Guest shadieb

Right guys, long time member always had smartphones, now own a white unbranded Hero from Expansys. I am using an Orange contract sim.

Can somebody please point me in the right direction to go with flashing, backing up etc?

This is my first phone I have ever bought sim free so not sure which way to go or what is the best rom etc.

I have been on holiday for the last week and had no signal :) I had my new Hero and couldn't get on the Market or surf the net even though I have a BB package as part of my contract :) LOL

I appreciate this info will have already been covered but I can't find much on where to start with a sim free phone? Do i root it? Should it be rooted? which rom? which radio etc.

Thankyou very much in advance for your help.

Hello there!

I upgraded to the latest radio (0.18) and the data connection is much much more erratic than before, can't post to peep more than 1 time out of 4 for example.

Is there some way to rollback to the standard radio? What can I do?