22/Jan - Stock ROMs + radios in update.zip format for GSM Hero

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest markzladz

I know this is a silly question but I'm really new to this - wot's the difference between the two ROMs below? I know one has a radio. What is a radio? how is it improved over the ROM without the radio?

HTC Generic 2.73.405.5 with radio 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18

HTC Generic 2.73.405.5

Cheers

Hi all.

Complete newbie so please excuse my ignorance.

Giving this a go as Orange Uk cant pull thier finger out and release the network version of the Hero update.

I have managed ro route my phone and have taken a backup using nandroid. Think im ready to install a ROM but no idea which is the latest/best to choose from. Seems to be several versions on this site, some with radio, some without.

Please help....

Also, what is radio and how might an update that features radio improve my handset?

Guest CitizenLee
Hi all.

Complete newbie so please excuse my ignorance.

Giving this a go as Orange Uk cant pull thier finger out and release the network version of the Hero update.

I have managed ro route my phone and have taken a backup using nandroid. Think im ready to install a ROM but no idea which is the latest/best to choose from. Seems to be several versions on this site, some with radio, some without.

Please help....

Also, what is radio and how might an update that features radio improve my handset?

I have found the HTC Generic 2.73.405.5 to be the best build so far. It's stable and fast with minimal issues. MCR v2.2 is good too though.

I also installed the radio separately and found that the latest version improves signal strength. Others have reported this too.

Is this UK only?

And is there anyway to switch the 3G on this phone to work on the US mhz? 850 & 1900 MHZ? Is this hardware oe software?

Installed the stock rom from this post on my Swiss Hero and everythings fine. I was even able to choose Swiss French for my regional settings.. French dictionary works like a charm.

What I Know is that the new android donuts will be CDMA compatible, which I think is used in US? But I don't believe that the current rom on a European hero works with CDMA

Thanks CitizenLee.

I'd still be interested to know what the radio is/does though and should I install this seperately or just get one of the packages where the updated radio is included?

A few questions I'd like to ask before switching to a custom ROM which I really hope someone can answer:

1. If in install a new ROM im assuming this will wipe my existing settings. Most of which I can reconfigure, but will this also wipe my operator specific (Organe) setting for messages, WAP, 3G, GPS etc. ?

2. I have managed to Root my device and used nandroid to take a full backup, however i'm not really sure where I would go from here if I did need to roll back for any reason? Is it just a case of doing a restore from the menu thats displayed when I boot with power+home held down?

3. If I install a custom ROM now that I have rooter my device, will this stop me from updating to future provider specific releases of the firmware? i.e. when Orange do actually release the update.

4. What are the benefits of having a custom ROM beyond getting the new firmware ahead of the provider specific releases?

Many thanks in advance...i'm feeling nervous for my Hero, but excited to see what can be achieved by the development community.

1) Watch the video and read the instructions on this page, then do it

2) Download the ROM of your choice from the first page of this thread

3) Watch the video and read the instructions on this page, then do it

Easy :-)

If you want to flash a Radio file separately just treat it like another ROM flash - rename it to update.zip and follow the instructions in step 3 above again

Just wanted to say thanks for this very helpful post. After watching the videos I flashed and rooted my hero with no problems.

Thanks to Paul too since without him I wouldn't have all these wonderful roms and radios :)

Thanks CitizenLee.

I'd still be interested to know what the radio is/does though and should I install this seperately or just get one of the packages where the updated radio is included?

A few questions I'd like to ask before switching to a custom ROM which I really hope someone can answer:

I'll try Godster but I too have only just started messing about so lets hope my answers are correct :)

1. If in install a new ROM im assuming this will wipe my existing settings. Most of which I can reconfigure, but will this also wipe my operator specific (Organe) setting for messages, WAP, 3G, GPS etc. ?

I'm on Orange too and chose the wipe option before flashing. All my Orange settings for text, data etc. are ok. Maybe they are included on the rom or downloaded straight away. Either way I had no down time.

2. I have managed to Root my device and used nandroid to take a full backup, however i'm not really sure where I would go from here if I did need to roll back for any reason? Is it just a case of doing a restore from the menu thats displayed when I boot with power+home held down?

Yes, I believe you name your backed up rom to "update.zip" and flash it as normal.

3. If I install a custom ROM now that I have rooter my device, will this stop me from updating to future provider specific releases of the firmware? i.e. when Orange do actually release the update.

No, you can change and update any time you like (unless you used the ruu ones but even then I think Paul said there was a way).

4. What are the benefits of having a custom ROM beyond getting the new firmware ahead of the provider specific releases?

They come with custom apps and tweaks which are not released with the official ones.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Roton

Thanks Roton and also to Paul for all your hard work.

Went ahead and installed the ROM this afternoon and its like having a new phone!

Pleased I didnt wait around for Orange...may have been due another upgrade by the time they got round to releasing thier version of the firmware.

Have to say I found the unlockr videos increadibly useful and proivde all the step by step instruction anyone setting out would need.

I'm resisting updating to the latest radio for the time being. Seen some posts on here that suggest it may have some stability issues. Can anyone confirm or should I go ahead? My signal is not particulary great where I live (Cambridge) so any boost would be welcomed.

Guest tectonic80

I rooted my hero last night and installed the latest 2.2 update from the first page of this thread.

However, i've been having problems with SMS messages - i couldnt receive any and i couldnt open them up using the 'messages' app or even using 'chompsms'.

I decided to try to 'unroot' my phone by flashing the generic orange uk rom (also found on the 1st page of this thread).

Now it all works, back to normal, and i can recieve texts again.

When i load up the recovery mode by pressing home + power buttons it still say 'build: cyanogenmod v1.4 + JF' on the bottom of the screen. Is there any way to remove this so the phone is actually back to original factory specification like it was provided by orange?

Guest simplejoe

Hello Paul,

Here fonts that include Russian and Hebrew characters. I purchased device yestarday in Berlin, and device luck off both Cyrilic and Hebrew characters.

I was unable to visit web sites and read emails, sms that contains of Hebrew or Russian characters. This file also includes font license.

Could you please create update.zip file just for fonts, in this case possible to run update after any firmware install to have better fonts?

Thank you in advance.

hebfontload.zip

LICENSE.txt

Edited by simplejoe

Guest ChrisBod

Hello everyone,

I have a T-mobile G2, If I want to debrand it, and have the latest firmware etc, which one of the roms should I download? Im not to bothered about having it rooted afterwards, but I would like the newest radio thing too...

Should I use this one? 'HTC Generic 2.73.405.5 with radio 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18' Is this the same Rom that I would be able to download from the HTC website?

Also, will it remove the splashscreens and rubbish? AND is there anyway to keep my telephone numbers or back them up, rather than go through one by one copying them to the sim card?

Also, will it remove the splashscreens and rubbish? AND is there anyway to keep my telephone numbers or back them up, rather than go through one by one copying them to the sim card?

It removes everything T-mobile, except for the initial splashscreen that says "T-mobile G2 Touch". After that it shows the "Hero" logo with little waving green robot, as you get on a non-branded device.

I agree it'd be nice to get rid of that as well!!! lol

Guest huanghuang

Paul

i have upgraded for htc hero to 2.73 rom without rooted. the htc version

i download your rooted rom now. but it seems that i still need root to upgrade my device on my last 2.73 rom

can you give me some advices?

thanks a lot!

huang huang

Guest ChrisBod

It would be nice to get rid of that flash screen, but I suppose I dont have to see it all that often anyhow :)

WE HAVE SUCCESS!!!!! :P

I followed the videos suggested within this topic, and It was so easy. My slightly laggy G2, has now been transformed into a snappy Hero! woohoo!

Does this mean my hero is unlocked too? I'm not bothered either way, because I only have my t-mobile sim. Just thought I'd ask the question.

Paul, and the rest of you, you're legends, thank you :D

Guest Graham Lister

I too want to get rid/change the G2 Touch splash screen.

It's basically an image embedded in file logo.rle which resides in the root.

Not so simple to do though. I'm researching now, and will post my outcome...

Hi from a new guy here,

I rooted my HERO with the ROM given here (Build MoDaCo Custom ROM 2.3 Core) and I still cannot figure how I perform actions in fastboot (adb shell, adb push etc.). I get a "device not found" and "remote: not allow" error massages although the "fastboot devices" detects my HERO.

Thanks,

Edit after some time:

I understand now that the adb command lines can be used without booting into fastboot state. The problem now is that when I try to adb push, mount, shell etc. I always get an error "failed to copy {...file path/name...} : Read-only file system".

Well - how do I get further? What I try to do is installing Hebrew Fonts (which I did on the original Hero ROM using fastboot).

Thank for any hint...

jrosen

Edited by jrosen

Guest notxel21

I Just bought my HTC Hero and I don't see it posted anywhere, I'm assuming because it's a fairly new build. It does not have Market and I would like to update it, I'm going to post my Nandroid backup. Thank you in advance.

My Phone info is as follows:

Model: HTC Hero

Firmware: 1.5

Baseband Version: 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18

Kernel Version: 2.6.27-8dd6deee

Build number: 2.73.728.5 146733 CL#61267 release keys

Software Version: 1.0.0.A6288

Here is the link to my nandroid backup: Not sure what I need to post from my nandroid, please respond and I will post it.

**Edit**I was able to root the phone using Flashrec using Amon_RA 1.2.2 recovery then installing Modaco's 2.2 enhanced rom.

Edited by notxel21

Guest nicoleif
DO NOT FLASH THESE ON ANYTHING EXCEPT A HERO!

I have repackaged the HTC generic, Orange UK and T-Mobile UK ROMs in update.zip (for use with the modified recovery image) for your pleasure. :)

The version details and links are below, note that the files include boot and system images only, I have elected not to include recovery, radio etc. I have however posted the radio seperately.

If your device has a ROM revision not listed here, please post a nandroid backup so I can create an update.zip! Many thanks to those who have already contributed backups so far.

Generally speaking these shouldn't require a wipe, but I can't guarantee that. Also, note these are completely stock and unrooted - you'll need to root afterwards if required.

Enjoy! :D

P

Rooted ROMs - note these ROMs are repacked as update zips and are identical to the generic ROMs EXCEPT they are pre-rooted. Radio ROMs are NOT included unless otherwise stated.

HTC Generic 2.73.405.5 - download

Shipping ROMs - note these ROMs are repacked as update zips and are completely generic (i.e. NOT rooted). Radio ROMs are NOT included unless otherwise stated.

HTC Generic 2.73.405.5 with radio 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18 - download

HTC Generic 2.73.751.4 (as 2.73.405.5 + Chinese support) - download

HTC Generic 1.79.482.3 - download

HTC Generic 1.76.405.6 - download

Orange UK 1.76.61.3 - download

T-Mobile UK 1.76.110.6 - download

Shipping ROMs in RUU format - these ROMs are packaged in RUU format for installation via windows and are completely generic (i.e. NOT rooted). Use of update zip ROMs instead is recommended!

Radios

63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18 - download (as packaged with HTC Generic 2.73.405.5)

63.18.55.06_6.35.05.31 - download

63.18.55.06_6.35.05.15 - download

63.18.55.06_6.35.04.25 - download

MoDaCo Custom ROM

Check out this topic for details of the MoDaCo Custom ROM!

I have rooted my Hero and installed MoDaCo Custom ROM 2.3 Core. The Radio for mobile broadband doesn't work. Do I install 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18 radio and how is this done?

Guest arkhonic
I have rooted my Hero and installed MoDaCo Custom ROM 2.3 Core. The Radio for mobile broadband doesn't work. Do I install 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18 radio and how is this done?

The same way as you rooted the phone. Grab the latest radio zip and rename it update.zip. The phone automatically recognises it as being a radio update. it should all work from there.

if the mobile broadband is not working I'd be looking at Mobile Network Settings and making sure you have the Access Points setup