i need some advice and help from people with experience here

Guest kav

it will be soon a year since i bought my omnia and i have been following many threads here on modaco to keep up to speed with all the stuffs abt omnia going on ,, but it is not really easy to keep up.

i have been using only official roms since i bought my omnia, flashed it once or twice i think, not more and that also with official roms, due to the fear of bricking it. (well it did cost me some money when i bought it new and operator unlocked)

since i dont see that samsung is interested anymore in updating the omnia i900, i am thinking to jump to custom roms, but the thing is that there is so many of them and each one has a particular configuration.

i know it is not easy to choose from them as almost all of them seem quite good.

my question was abt if people can recommend some roms (wm6.5) which would be

1 lite ( need space to install useful and useless apps :D )

2 very stable

3 very fast for gps, internet browsing

4 very eyecandy (lots of possibilities to customise)

i know a lot of people will just mention just try this or that,,, but it would be extremely helpful for me and others , reading this thread, looking for a suitable custom rom, to have some extra info abt the roms u guys/gals are advising to use. and if it not too much then post some screenshots of the eyecandies u have on the rom.

the other question is that i have vista running on my pc, and i know that it is best to upgrade using winxp, but is there no other way to make it on vista itself? is it a must to have VM running xp on vista to be able to upgrade?

TIA

I hv tried some 6.1 ROMs and 3 of 6.5 ROMs (dunno whether it;s make me experienced enough), but all WM 6.5 ROMs I tried freeze sometime, especially when receiving SMS. And since I use SMS more than calling, I go back to 6.1.

But I can tell you, when picking ROMs to flash, I - and maybe lots of users - use the same criteria as you : lite, very stable, very fast for gps, internet browsing, very eyecandy by searching user feedback & recommendation, however none of those ROMs satisfy me. All those ROMs are great and I do appreciate all ROM cookers's hardwork but in the end it's back to personal taste since no ROM which only have plus factor and satisfy everyone.

All I want to say is, you have to change ROMs till it fits your criteria or change your criteria till it fits your selected ROM. Choice is yours..

Edited by adhip

thnx for ur reply,, i thought that no one would bother answer to this thread.

u are right when u say that have to try different roms until u find what suits ur needs.

i think the best could be that u get a rom which is ultra lite and the possibility to install further eyecandy apps on it like titanium or m2d etc... but the problem is that these apps if they are not cooked in the rom then there is always something not working as it should.

Guest naynada
thnx for ur reply,, i thought that no one would bother answer to this thread.

u are right when u say that have to try different roms until u find what suits ur needs.

i think the best could be that u get a rom which is ultra lite and the possibility to install further eyecandy apps on it like titanium or m2d etc... but the problem is that these apps if they are not cooked in the rom then there is always something not working as it should.

Hi Kav,

You've tried to help me out before so I'll try to do the same.

Currently, I'm quite enjoying Khuanchai's 21928 Ultra Lite WM6.5 PP6MB.

Yes, it is relatively old, but I find it quite stable, and Titanium and Honeycomb are beautiful to use. [Although, I don't use honeycomb; I'm not a fan of it] As for apps not cooked into ROM not working - no, everything I've tried works fine.

I am wary of upgrading to the newest WM6.5 builds like 23034 etc because of the issues relating to the change of taskbar and softkeys, and sms issues.

I'd say WM 6.5 is well worth the jump over WM 6.1. Menus are fluid, buttons are generally bigger and overall things just look classier.

The only real concern I have with it, is the whole autokilling issue, but that is mitigated to an extent by careful memory management, and EverApp. http://www.modaco.com/content/pocket-pc-so...ce-under-wm6-x/

As for GPS and internet, I use iGO 8, runs fine. 3G net is also fine.

I can't help re: vista, as I only run XP. But there may be a way...

Welcome to the Flashing Party =]

Guest enozykse

Hi All

I own a i900 and I am hoping to join the custom rom party. However, as a newbie, I have something that I am not very sure :angry: (after reading many postings in this forum).

Do we need to install WM6.5 into my phone first before we apply the custom rom (Sorry if this is a stupid question)? Or is it already included in all the custom rom available in this forum.

Thanks in-advance for any kind soul who can clear my confusion on this. :D

Guest mario.omnia

Check out Kuanchai's, Sector's and Shokka's threads...

You'll find a lot of pictures with user comments...

The best 6.5 ROMs out there...

Tried them all...can't decide which is the best...since all chefs go for different things...

Guest Morad kassem
it will be soon a year since i bought my omnia and i have been following many threads here on modaco to keep up to speed with all the stuffs abt omnia going on ,, but it is not really easy to keep up.

i have been using only official roms since i bought my omnia, flashed it once or twice i think, not more and that also with official roms, due to the fear of bricking it. (well it did cost me some money when i bought it new and operator unlocked)

since i dont see that samsung is interested anymore in updating the omnia i900, i am thinking to jump to custom roms, but the thing is that there is so many of them and each one has a particular configuration.

i know it is not easy to choose from them as almost all of them seem quite good.

my question was abt if people can recommend some roms (wm6.5) which would be

1 lite ( need space to install useful and useless apps :D )

2 very stable

3 very fast for gps, internet browsing

4 very eyecandy (lots of possibilities to customise)

i know a lot of people will just mention just try this or that,,, but it would be extremely helpful for me and others , reading this thread, looking for a suitable custom rom, to have some extra info abt the roms u guys/gals are advising to use. and if it not too much then post some screenshots of the eyecandies u have on the rom.

the other question is that i have vista running on my pc, and i know that it is best to upgrade using winxp, but is there no other way to make it on vista itself? is it a must to have VM running xp on vista to be able to upgrade?

TIA

Dear Kav,

Really nice thread, i admire the idea..

For flashing using windows vista it's very easy but tricky alittle bit. using VMware Station (Installs XP under Vista OS, virtually & very nice app.)

Sector's:

Steps used for updating under VMWare for Windows Vista (32bit & 64bit) / Windows 7 (32bit & 64bit).

The tutorial is taken from my friend shokka9. Thank you baw$

If you don't know what VMware is, take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware for more information.

Things you'll need on Vista:

• VMware Workstation (latest will work)
  • Microsoft Windows XP CD or .ISO image and the serial key
  • 2gb of free disk space
    • Use the ones that mentioned for Windows XP.
    • Make sure you turn off the USB on the Windows Mobile Device Center.
      • Mobile Settings -> Connection Settings -> Untick "Allow USB Connections".
      • After flashing tick it back.

Let's start:

[*]First install VMware's Workstation. You can get a trial version at http://www.vmware.com/

[*]If you have an .ISO image of your Windows XP CD on your hard disk like I do, you won't need the CD, otherwise you'll need it. If you don't have the image, put the CD into your CD/DVD-ROM.

[*]Run the workstation.

[*]Go to FILE -> NEW -> VIRTUAL MACHINE and choose TYPICAL. On the next tab select the source from where you want to install a virtual Windows XP operating system (CD or image).

[*]On the next tab, press next. When the dialog appears, choose YES.

[*]Now enter a name for your virtual XP machine and choose a location where you want to save the machine - it's good to have at least 2gb of free space!

[*]On the nex tab, I've chosen 2.5gb. I think that's enough, if you wish only to flash your ROM. You can choose to install the machine to a single file or splitted. I've chosen single.

[*]On the next tab, click Customize Hardware button and select "USB Controller". Make sure High-Speed USB 2.0 and Auto connect USB devices are checked. Press OK, then press FINISH.

[*]Maybe you'll get a warning from VMware but don't bother, just skip it.

[*]The Windows installation process should follow. The installation took on my PC for about 25min.

[*]When the setup has finished, you can normally run and use Windows XP via WMware.

[*]Update your XP machine via Windows Update, reboot and start flashing.

Flashing:

[*]Make the Install Microsoft ActiveSync 4.5 (once)

[*]Make Install the Samsung Modem Driver XP (once)

[*]Reboot the PC.

[*]After the first 2 steps try to disconnect your Omnia from USB and connect it back on. Repeat it 1-2 times so the PC can recognize the phone.

Leave the phone connected for about 10-15 minutes. If it disconnects by itself most probably you have to repeat the procedure from 1st step.

It is advised to reboot your PC also.

[*]Make sure that have backup all your important stuff (contacts, pictures etc).

[*]Switch OFF the phone by holding the Power button for ~5 seconds.

[*]Run the updater. (Works the same way for Original or Cooked ROMs)

[*]Switch ON the phone again by holding the Power button.

[*]Press START and happy flashing. Do not move your phone or the USB wire as it might fail during flashing.

[*]Wait until the updater shows JOB DONE! DO NOT DISCONNECT BEFORE.

[*]Disconnect your phone.

[*]Leave the phone to reboot 2 times, calibrate screen and finish the start-up procedure.

[*]Enjoy the new firmware.

Hi Kav,

You've tried to help me out before so I'll try to do the same.

Currently, I'm quite enjoying Khuanchai's 21928 Ultra Lite WM6.5 PP6MB.

Yes, it is relatively old, but I find it quite stable, and Titanium and Honeycomb are beautiful to use. [Although, I don't use honeycomb; I'm not a fan of it] As for apps not cooked into ROM not working - no, everything I've tried works fine.

I am wary of upgrading to the newest WM6.5 builds like 23034 etc because of the issues relating to the change of taskbar and softkeys, and sms issues.

I'd say WM 6.5 is well worth the jump over WM 6.1. Menus are fluid, buttons are generally bigger and overall things just look classier.

The only real concern I have with it, is the whole autokilling issue, but that is mitigated to an extent by careful memory management, and EverApp. http://www.modaco.com/content/pocket-pc-so...ce-under-wm6-x/

As for GPS and internet, I use iGO 8, runs fine. 3G net is also fine.

I can't help re: vista, as I only run XP. But there may be a way...

Welcome to the Flashing Party =]

thnx for the comment,, appreciate it. good to see that help goes both ways here. :D

Dear Kav,

Really nice thread, i admire the idea..

For flashing using windows vista it's very easy but tricky alittle bit. using VMware Station (Installs XP under Vista OS, virtually & very nice app.)

thnx for the help,, appreciate it.

Guest davedes

my opinion is that sectors rom's are the best ones out there at the moment...

get a genral feel from the latest posts on his new roms to see if there are any bugs but sector normaly sorts any bugs out pretty quick.

also go with his latest rom as he is always improving...

thnx for all the help,, appreciate it all, but i have neen doing some readng as well and it seems like win mo 6.5 is really fun and eye candy but still many bugs as it is still in development stage , in a way to say.

i know that many people ( cooks) make roms with newer builds and there are almost always more and more bugs in the newer releases, well they are quite busy fixing them for microsoft...

but the thing is that whenever a new build is released, the cooks tend to use the newer one, fix some issues in it but they tend to leave behind the older releases. i know it is more logical in that way, but that means that we have to almost constantly keep flashing to newer roms as to be able to get issues fixed thereby increasing the risk of making mistakes and bricking the fone.

i know without taking risks, its not possible to get further.

i also do appreciate the work that the people do here, fixing all the crap that microsoft left behind.

i was also wandering if in all those custom roms, they have cooked in apps like m2d and many many other small apps for ex. cleanram, etc...

can these apps be uninstalled even if they come in the custom rom?

thnx for replying