10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Anybody having problems with 3.0 update when switching from 3g to wifi and vise versa becouse the first min its switching fine and then no wifi delays let me know

Guest phillevy
This helpful tip by agent-5 help me free up mem from 112mb to 156mb

Try this:

Following must be executed from shell whilst phone is running in normal operation mode:

1. Download ADB asuming your using windows copy it to c:\

2. Got to start+run+ type cmd (youll get the MSDOS command propmpt

3. type cd\ (press enter)

4. cd adb Enter

Once your prompt reads c:\adb >>>>>>>follow the setps below.

Note if you typed adb shell and you dint get the # sign do a dir and check if your in the right folder look for ADB.exe.

adb shell

su

busybox df -h

- (You should see /system/sd)

busybox cp -a /data/dalvik-cache /system/sd/

busybox cp -a /data/data system/sd/

exit

exit

- (REBOOT INTO RECOVERY ROM)

Following must be executed from Aman Ra or Cyanogen Recovery ROM

adb shell

mount data

rm -rf /data/data

ln -s /system/sd/data /data/data

rm -rf /data/dalvik-cache

ln -s /system/sd/dalvik-cache /data/dalvik-cache

reboot

--------------------------------

This will move the Davlik cache to your SD card. Also download the TA Utility from Market and move all of your other caches to the SD card.

Thanks for that - 2 questions:

1. Once this is done does it stay in place for all future ROM updates?

2. Is there any reduction in performance (otherwise why is the dalvik-cache not located there by default in Paul's ROM?

Edited by phillevy

Thanks for that - 2 questions:

1. Once this is done does it stay in place for all future ROM updates?

2. Is there any reduction in performance (otherwise why is the dalvik-cache not located there by default in Paul's ROM?

1. no you have to do it all again when you update

2. The more memory you save the faster you phone is, well thats how i think it is and about performance its faster with the new update alot of things contribute to the performance of you phone memory SDcard class ect.

But i found out 3.0 has App2sd which am not sure it works if it does then no point of doing the adb shell thingy anyway it does it automaticaly

Edited by mbba

Guest Dan Mullen
1. no you have to do it all again when you update

2. The more memory you save the faster you phone is, well thats how i think it is and about performance its faster with the new update alot of things contribute to the performance of you phone memory SDcard class ect.

But i found out 3.0 has App2sd which am not sure it works if it does then no point of doing the adb shell thingy anyway it does it automaticaly

Regarding point 2, remember that the internal storage taken up by the dalvik-cache is nothing to do with memory (RAM). Even if you only have a few MB internal storage free, your phone should still respond quickly.

Guest teknologist
This helpful tip by agent-5 help me free up mem from 112mb to 156mb

Try this:

(...)

Following must be executed from Aman Ra or Cyanogen Recovery ROM

adb shell

mount data

rm -rf /data/data

ln -s /system/sd/data /data/data

rm -rf /data/dalvik-cache

ln -s /system/sd/dalvik-cache /data/dalvik-cache

reboot

--------------------------------

This will move the Davlik cache to your SD card. Also download the TA Utility from Market and move all of your other caches to the SD card.

Wouldn't recommend. The phone memory is a lot faster than your sd card.

BTW what's all this buzz around free memory on the phone?

You know this has nothing to do with RAM right ?

What would you need that saved space for anyway ?

Just curious...

I think more and more people confuse all sorts of memory types here...

Edited by teknologist

More diags on the wifi problem seems to work but takes time to turn n when i go

settings switch off 3g and switching on wifi

connecting but delaying sometimes is it the radio update or the rome now am :D

and when i switch 3g on with out turning off wifi it stays connected on wifi does not switch back to 3g

this problem was not there with 2.8

Edited by mbba

Guest teknologist
More diags on the wifi problem seems to work but takes time to turn n when i go

settings switch off 3g and switching on wifi

connecting but delaying sometimes is it the radio update or the rome now am :D

Maybe radio ROM...

I see lots of people around upgrading radios and I know paul recommends it in the first post of this topic, but as crazy as it may sound, the best radio for me here (using Orange HSPA & a Linksys wifi router) is the EU version.

I know it's supposed to be old but everytime I try a new version it's a no go...3G drops, wifi still ok though...and I end up rolling back to the EU version.

I think you need to try the radios based on your provide and wifi access and find the one that works best for you.

I don't find "using the latest rom" to be a good "universal" advice...

Edited by teknologist

Wouldn't recommend. The phone memory is a lot faster than your sd card.

BTW what's all this buzz around free memory on the phone?

You know this has nothing to do with RAM right ?

What would you need that saved space for anyway ?

Just curious...

I think more and more people confuse all sorts of memory types here...

About ram thats a good question but about saving space well that depends how offen you fill up your mem

Maybe radio ROM...

I see lots of people around upgrading radios and I know paul recommends it in the first post of this topic, but as crazy as it may sound, the best radio for me here (using Orange HSPA & a Linksys wifi router) is the EU version.

I know it's supposed to be old but everytime I try a new version it's a no go...3G drops, wifi still ok though...and I end up rolling back to the EU version.

I think you need to try the radios based on your provide and wifi access and find the one that works best for you.

I don't find "using the latest rom" to be a good "universal" advice...

Thanks for that i thought of it becouse i dint have problems with radio FU but can you explain in short how the radio and the rom interact or is it just 2 seperat operation and if its not will the 3.0rom function normal with older radio updates

Guest alexdonald
Yep, When you set the alarm click on alarm sound then when you have the list of all different choices for the sound you can then adjust volume using volume rocker.

Not sure why this happens but it has happened to me a couple of times too. :D

Hope this helps

Mark

Thanks for this mate... had me confused for hours and I almost rolled back from 3.0 to 2.9

And thanks to Paul for such a great ROM... blisteringly fast

Alex

Edited by alexdonald

Guest Musicmannetje

After upgrading to version 3.0 I did a reboot and got the message that the SIM card was illegal, and I had to enter the PUK code.

I cancelled that and the phone was acting just as normal. Did a reboot, just to be sure, and all was well.....

Guest teknologist
Thanks for that i thought of it becouse i dint have problems with radio FU but can you explain in short how the radio and the rom interact or is it just 2 seperat operation and if its not will the 3.0rom function normal with older radio updates

ROM and radio are independent but some ROMs may require special radio...this not the case of Modaco Custom Rom as far as I can tell...

Hi tecknologist sorry for the comment before i my self have no idea what i mean lol may be cant put it in words if you know what i mean. i dont know If you can help but how does app2sd work it would would help clear some things about the adb shell trick on transfering data/system to sdcard or the file sytem structure on were the apps are installed.

Edited by mbba

I updated to 3.0 and once it rebooted it seemed to be an eternity till it finished booting. Seemed a lot longer than 2.9.

Regardless, everything went fine. Good Work!!

Guest clarkEEE1
Do i have to partition SD card to flash ROM 3.0?

I am using 2.9 now and apps are still installed in the phone memory.

No you don't need to partition sd card but if you have got a lot of apps installed its recommended, modaco does not use odex files no more so takes up more space on your phone about 30mb, its only a 2min job to partition and in my opinion well worth it.

Updated from 2.8 to 3.0, I would say that it is the best ROM for HERO now!

BTW, I cannot find any saved pictures from backgrounds app??

With 2.8, all the pics can be found.

Tested by going to 2.9, I cannot find them as well.

Therefore, iIt should be something in 2.9 and 3.0 that block those saved pics from backgrounds app.

Anyone helps!!

THKS,

Guest clarkEEE1
i ment ram is for running apps but not sure if the apps are installed on ram or rom

Apps are either stored on internal harddisk or sd card depending if you got app2sd, ram is memory a phone is just like a pc. A Rom is like windows an operating system and if you install a game it gets installed on the hd neither gets installed on the Rom or ram but needs ram to run.

Updated from 2.8 to 3.0, I would say that it is the best ROM for HERO now!

BTW, I cannot find any saved pictures from backgrounds app??

With 2.8, all the pics can be found.

Tested by going to 2.9, I cannot find them as well.

Therefore, iIt should be something in 2.9 and 3.0 that block those saved pics from backgrounds app.

Anyone helps!!

THKS,

Opp! just found out that after saving pictures, have to reboot phone in order to let HTC album app recognize those picture files :D

Hope before Christmas, we here can enjoy MCR x.x with Android 2.1

Cheer,

Guest Marcony0

There is something wrong, im not quiet sure. But i keep getting Force Close a lot ! "The Process System has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. "

Never had problems like this before, untill 3.0

Guest masterpfa
Take it, it wouldn't be a good idea to do this with my class 2 SD card? lol. Although I'm using APPS2SD and have never had any lagging or slow apps yet

You should be OK, I previously had been using a Class 2 8GB card and had moved apps and dalvik-cache to this card without any problems. I must say having purchased a Class 6 8GB card I haven't noticed any difference IMHO.

Also although you may save internal phone memory moving the dalvik-cache, you will not necessarily notice any real improvements.

I currently have MCR 2.8, plus Teknologist 1.9 kernel and approx 80 apps, still showing 112mb of internal memory free (and flying!) without moving my dalvik-cache

and the phone is running so smoothly

May try MCR 3.0 later on today

Edited by masterpfa