10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

You have Hebrew named contacts on the people's widget? because it causes force close...

Yes, I have.

BUT, I run many Hero ROMs on my old HTC Magic, and it never FC, and I had the exact same favorites.

Guest teknologist

Hi there !

Just released a "performance tweak" update package for Teknologist kernel 1.8 and newer and all MCR based on Teknologist kernel (2.8/2.9/3.0)

It improves the responsiveness of the device , especially on wake-up after sleep... It's just a 2.5KB file to be applied as a normal update. It just replaces the init script. It is not a new kernel or patch. Just a small and simple tweak.

Details here / Downloads Here

Enjoy!

Cheers !

Guest sheppy1
Maybe first do a full wipe and then flash??

About Wavesecure: When I install wavesecure from the marketplace, do I have any advantages from this ROM, or do I have to install the wavesecure from the enhanced package?

Well for me downloading and installing the enhanced package did absolutely nothing, the installation all went through fine but after rebooting there were no additional features on my phone, no sign that it had even been installed so I just downloaded Wavesecure from the Market and am now using that without any problems

Guest sheppy1
Hi there !

Just released a "performance tweak" update package for Teknologist kernel 1.8 and newer and all MCR based on Teknologist kernel (2.8/2.9/3.0)

It improves the responsiveness of the device , especially on wake-up after sleep... It's just a 2.5KB file to be applied as a normal update. It just replaces the init script. It is not a new kernel or patch. Just a small and simple tweak.

Enjoy!

Cheers !

Oooooo cheers for this, sounds good. Just checked out what it actually does though and you say that on waking the device the CPU speed will automatically be set to 528Mhz (Full speed), will this not apply a lot of strain to the processor with it always running at full whack?

Guest whissperr

Hello World !

Any ideas about problems with IMAP account in Heroes Mail app not showing any mails after first refresh ?

Was searching all around the WEB, but found no answer. Anyone else having the same problem ?

Can it be related to MDC 3.0 ?

Guest Lenslarque
Hi there !

Enjoy!

Cheers !

Thanks Teknologist. I'm very pleased you have found this eloquent solution. I've noticed this lag as well but I thought I needed to do a 'wipe'. Considering you have to do serveral back ups also your url's I wasn't feeling enthusiastic about doing that.

Thanks again for perfecting the HTC!

Just a fan.

Hi Paul,

I have problem with wifi on your MCR 3.0 (core) and the latest radio (63.18.55.06JU_6.35.08.29).

Wifi working normaly until I try turn it off. When I turn wifi off, then its in endless loop of turning off. I am not aligible to turn it on or off again until reboot.

I thing, but not sure, its caused by the teknologist kernel from version 1.8.

Thanks for Your help and sorry for my englis :D

Guest bluecat69

Updated from 2.9 to 3.0 over the weekend and have no issues. All went smoothly.

Nice work guys.

Another suggestion though, i don't know if you can do it or not, but can the notification screen telling you the phone has no reception be removed. THis normally pops up when i'm listening to music on the train and causes the music to stutter. It's a pointless and stupid notification (the splash screen with a the image of a sim card) and would be nice if it were gone. Although saying that i didn't notice my music stutter this morning on the train with the new ROM.

Guest theFRAGGLE
Wifi working normaly until I try turn it off. When I turn wifi off, then its in endless loop of turning off. I am not aligible to turn it on or off again until reboot.

same here, but I did not see the cause... sometimes after gooing to sleep mode, sometimes after turning it off.

Guest toxaris

Last week was a good week, transformed my T-Mobile G2 touch to HTC hero. I also flashed the latest Modaco rom on it. No problems and everything went smooth.

I only have one small problem. If I turn my mobile while I am browsing, the browser stays in portrait instead of becoming landscape. If I remember correctly, it used to change before patching. Is this a bug, am I doing something wrong or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Guest teknologist
Oooooo cheers for this, sounds good. Just checked out what it actually does though and you say that on waking the device the CPU speed will automatically be set to 528Mhz (Full speed), will this not apply a lot of strain to the processor with it always running at full whack?

Don't think so ! We are not overclocking the CPU at all! Running it @ 528Mhz is running at it's normal/full speed...and it's within the specs...Nothing wrong here.

Could have a negative effect on battery drain but so far I can't see any abnormal drain here...Been using it for A little less than 12 Hours !

Guest ptruman
Don't think so ! We are not overclocking the CPU at all! Running it @ 528Mhz is running at it's normal/full speed...and it's within the specs...Nothing wrong here.

Could have a negative effect on battery drain but so far I can't see any abnormal drain here...Been using it for A little less than 12 Hours !

I applied the 'tweak' last night, and (at the time) had 59% battery.

This morning I had 49%, but this dropped to 32% after about 10 mins of WiFi & Samba browsing - so not sure if that's due to the tweak, or wether I did something different.

It is quicker though :D

Is there (or will there be) a zip file to turn it off again? (I can see a "turbo on/turbo off" zip for use with the Cyanogen apply any zip :(

Guest bluecat69
Last week was a good week, transformed my T-Mobile G2 touch to HTC hero. I also flashed the latest Modaco rom on it. No problems and everything went smooth.

I only have one small problem. If I turn my mobile while I am browsing, the browser stays in portrait instead of becoming landscape. If I remember correctly, it used to change before patching. Is this a bug, am I doing something wrong or is my memory playing tricks on me?

THis is going to sound daft but i've noticed on mine, that if it doesn't change to landscape straight away i hold it on it's side and tap it, which seems to push it into landscape. I don't know if it's just me and i'm lucky of it it's a 'design feature' lol

Guest bluecat69
Well, I'm now on 3.0.

Have added enhanced, bootsound & wavesecure packs.

Only thing found "wrong" so far is Wireless Tether is force closing.

Any clues?

Scratch that - I found a solution.

I copied the /system/sd/apps/*tether* to /sdcard

Ran the .apk installer, which "replaced" the in ROM copy.

Uninstalled the application, REINSTALLED it, and now it's running.

(everything does appear way quicker too, CoPilot fires up in under 10 seconds!)

I'm sorry but i'm not up on these things and my wi-fi does the same now. How do you copy the folder to the sdcard?

What do you mean by "which 'replace' the in the ROM copy"?

How do you run the .apk installer?

Sorry for being a bit dim. I'm just not up on all the lingo and what to do with it.

Guest worcester4x4

Is it just me that gets confused? I hope not but if it is just me, I'm sorry :( ;)

I don't get chance to check the forum anything like regularly and, with things changing so fast I lose track of where we are and what the recommended options are for which ROM, which radio, etc.

I usually go back to the first post and see the latest changes there, but even that's getting confusing now.

So, a suggestion. Would it be possible for some form of dated sticky to be put up each time there's a major new change rather than everything being consolidated onto one post which is dated August. That way it would be easy to see, at a glance, what the latest options are, what works with what and what to download.

Or am I being blind and stupid?

Thanks either way :D

Guest ptruman
I'm sorry but i'm not up on these things and my wi-fi does the same now. How do you copy the folder to the sdcard?

What do you mean by "which 'replace' the in the ROM copy"?

How do you run the .apk installer?

Sorry for being a bit dim. I'm just not up on all the lingo and what to do with it.

You need shell or adb access to the phone.

If you are using adb, you need to type

adb shell cp /system/sd/app/*tether* /sdcard

If you're in the shell, just type

cp /system/sd/app/*tether* /sdcard

Then, use a file manager (like Linda File Manager, downloaded from the Market) and browse to the root of /sdcard, and click on the file android.tether.apk, and tell the phone to use the app package installer to run it.

That will overwrite the copy including the ROM, meaning you can now uninstall the app and it's data - so do that (settings > apps > Wireless tether > uninstall)

Then go back to Linda File Manager, click on the android.tether.apk again, and install it fresh.

That solved the problem for me.

NOTE : the path above assumes you have Apps2SD running with a partitioned memory card. If you don't, the tether app will probably in be /system/app - NOT /system/sd/app

:D

Guest Farmfield

Oi Paul,

Don't really get how the ADB CLI works, if the * are just ordinary jokers or what, so I better post it as a question...

I'd like to streamline the ROM just a bit, remove HTC Sync, Stocks, footprints (what is that?) and also the WiFi-status-indicator as I don't use that. Then I wonder about Gtalk (chat) and Gtalk service which I have no use for (and which seem to run in the background anyway), can these be removed?

Maybe no sense in doing that last thing, but I tried some task managers and saw my Hero was running Gtalk as a service - and not using Gtalk it felt stupid having it running w/o reason... How googlich of it... ;D

Guest Splather
And you still are missing your a2sd apps ?

Sorry to hear that..you may have run into a bump...That exact thing happened to me once, but I had stopped the phone (removed battery) beacuse I thought it was taking too long...

[EDIT] I just tried by installing an app and the .apk is stored in /system/sd/app so this means a2sd works...don't know where all the issues with a2sd come from oin all the latest posts here. It's working 100% perfectly here with MCR3.0 and over 70MB of apps in a2sd...

Should you be able to see /system/sd/app with Astro? Only get as far as /system/sd, no more folders after that....

Guest LTourist

Hi everybody,

I just wanted to know if I can remove the htc's mail client (I only use Gmail app as I don't have mails (POP3, IMAP etc) in my contract. I found the Mail.apk package in /system/app but I don't know if this action implies some messing stuff... As the application is fully integrated in the system. Or alternatively is there a way I could prevent this app to be permantly reloaded by the system WITHOUT using auto-killing ?

Thanks

LTourist

Guest mwendel
You need shell or adb access to the phone.

If you are using adb, you need to type

adb shell cp /system/sd/app/*tether* /sdcard

If you're in the shell, just type

cp /system/sd/app/*tether* /sdcard

Then, use a file manager (like Linda File Manager, downloaded from the Market) and browse to the root of /sdcard, and click on the file android.tether.apk, and tell the phone to use the app package installer to run it.

That will overwrite the copy including the ROM, meaning you can now uninstall the app and it's data - so do that (settings > apps > Wireless tether > uninstall)

Then go back to Linda File Manager, click on the android.tether.apk again, and install it fresh.

That solved the problem for me.

NOTE : the path above assumes you have Apps2SD running with a partitioned memory card. If you don't, the tether app will probably in be /system/app - NOT /system/sd/app

:D

android.tether.apk on my phone was found under /data/app. Otherwise everything else in the instruction worked. Wifi tether no longer force closes.

Guest Moenmann
Hi everybody,

I just wanted to know if I can remove the htc's mail client (I only use Gmail app as I don't have mails (POP3, IMAP etc) in my contract. I found the Mail.apk package in /system/app but I don't know if this action implies some messing stuff... As the application is fully integrated in the system. Or alternatively is there a way I could prevent this app to be permantly reloaded by the system WITHOUT using auto-killing ?

Thanks

LTourist

Do this:

adb remount

adb shell rm /system/app/htcmailwidgets*

adb shell rm /system/app/Mail*

I did, and there are no problems at all :D I also use Gmail..

Guest Keramidas
Do this:

adb remount

adb shell rm /system/app/htcmailwidgets*

adb shell rm /system/app/Mail*

I did, and there are no problems at all :D I also use Gmail..

Same here: I always remove HTC mail and HTC Sync, and have had no problem in several months of use :(

Guest LTourist

:D thanks!!! Works great!

In a general way, is there such application that I should not remove ??? I'm thinking about removing Google Talk (I'm never using instant messaging) and eventually the flash player as it is just good at playing add...

Edited by LTourist