10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest JamesKing

I also seem to be suffering some strange problem where I can't access mobile internet, until I've turned Airplane mode on. Waited a few seconds, then turned it off. Then internet seems to work fine. Weird...

I'm on Orange with an unbranded/unlocked HTC Hero running 3.2 Beta 2.

Having no end of problems with various radios on the Orange UK network. Constantly dropping signal and connection throughout phone calls. In the meantime the phone continues to display 1 or 2 bars. Some times it will not find a network at all until I reboot the phone. Currently on Modaco customer rom 3.0 but going to update to 3.1 and give that a go.

Has anyone found a stable radio that work well for them on Orange UK?

I have 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.08.29 at the moment on Orange UK and I am not having any particular problems, but then I have not had problems with the previous versions either. If you have not had problems with the Orange network on previous phones then I would be inclined to consider a hardware problem because the performance should not be that bad unless you are in a weak signal area.

Guest teknologist
This is usually down to some app hogging the CPU... try using one of the many task killer apps to see what's running and close one thing at a time until you track down the culprit.

To all those still experiencing sluggishness after a while (or excessive battery drain) I have completely solved these on my Hero and thought I'd share...

I removed 2 things:

The HTC clock widget from Home screen (replaced it by android standard which has no seconds display)

Last but not least, removed the Taskiller widget. Seems it goes wild after a while, using ~25% CPU for extended amount of time and periodically ! This is a real CPU killer and seems to only display that behavior after a while...

All sluggishness has disappeared and this is after 48H uptime !

Running with a 128MB compcache on MCR 3.2beta - TCK 1.92

Guest jotapesse

I have unbranded/unlocked Hero on Vodafone PT. I come from MCR 2.8, 2.9, 3.0, 3.1 and now 3.2b2. Some wipes on the first MCRs. With 3.1 (or 3.2b2, don't know really) I lost mobile data connection, I checked APNs and their names were wrong with "apnsuffix" at the end like: "internet.vodafone.ptappnsuffix" and locked, couldn't edit it.

If I change SIM to different network I get correct APNs, reverting back to Vodafone SIM I get wrong APNs again. Had to wipe to solve it, APNs corrected. Any guess why this happened?

Guest danneman78

It would be really nice (If it's nice of course) if you (Paul) would get hold of and could incorporate the new music player from HTC that is supposed to be in the T-Mobile myTouch 3G Fender Limited Edition version that's been advertised to be released on the 20 of January.

Just a thought!

Guest PhonePersona
It would be really nice (If it's nice of course) if you (Paul) would get hold of and could incorporate the new music player from HTC that is supposed to be in the T-Mobile myTouch 3G Fender Limited Edition version that's been advertised to be released on the 20 of January.

Just a thought!

Is there anything particularly special about the new music player in the HTC Magic (Fender Edition)?

Just curious.

Guest danneman78
Is there anything particularly special about the new music player in the HTC Magic (Fender Edition)?

Just curious.

well it's supposedly better than the original which is not very feature rich in my opinion.

"The music player, developed by HTC, offers an intuitive user interface that allows for toggling between different views or for changing a song or album by simply touching the album art. It also allows customers to create ringtones from songs that are playing."

taken from this page:

http://androidcommunity.com/mytouch-3g-fen...video-20100114/

It might also be the same player but when it's stated that it's an enhanced player I assume that it's enhanced compared to a earlier version (i.e. the current)

Edited by danneman78

It might also be the same player but when it's stated that it's an enhanced player I assume that it's enhanced compared to a earlier version (i.e. the current)

Enhanced could just mean that it's a more feature rich edition of the default android one (if it actually has one)

Guest Malta72
I have unbranded/unlocked Hero on Vodafone PT. I come from MCR 2.8, 2.9, 3.0, 3.1 and now 3.2b2. Some wipes on the first MCRs. With 3.1 (or 3.2b2, don't know really) I lost mobile data connection, I checked APNs and their names were wrong with "apnsuffix" at the end like: "internet.vodafone.ptappnsuffix" and locked, couldn't edit it.

If I change SIM to different network I get correct APNs, reverting back to Vodafone SIM I get wrong APNs again. Had to wipe to solve it, APNs corrected. Any guess why this happened?

I have the same problem with my provider (o2 gemany). I have the mcr 3.1 custom on my hero. I think, the problem is a application problem. The application locale 1.x with power save plugin, I suspect. After I deinstalled the power save plugin, I don't have problems withe the wrong apnsuffix.

Which applications do you use on your hero?

best regards

michael

Guest masterpfa
To all those still experiencing sluggishness after a while (or excessive battery drain) I have completely solved these on my Hero and thought I'd share...

I removed 2 things:

The HTC clock widget from Home screen (replaced it by android standard which has no seconds display)

Last but not least, removed the Taskiller widget. Seems it goes wild after a while, using ~25% CPU for extended amount of time and periodically ! This is a real CPU killer and seems to only display that behavior after a while...

Hi Teknologist are your figures for compcache above the default in MCR 3.1 Beta 2 or have they been tweaked?

:)

Also going to give your suggestions a try especially re: HTC clock, also removed Advanced Task Killer widget.

Guest Formel-LMS

I've been cleard the dalvik cache, when my Hero begins to stuck.

Then the first boot is ugly but after that, the Hero runs like it has a new ROM.

Guest teknologist
Hi Teknologist are your figures for compcache above the default in MCR 3.1 Beta 2 or have they been tweaked?

Also going to give your suggestions a try especially re: HTC clock, also removed Advanced Task Killer widget.

Yep 128MB is the default compcache size in TCK 1.91 and greater (1.92 included in MCR 3.2b is just a change in ramdisk to fit the upcoming MCR Settings with online compcache toggle)

Don't have advanced killer widget here but I suppose it is the same kind as the Taskiller widget...and may have the same side effects....

Edited by teknologist

Guest Ibanez33
Looks good I must agree. :)

If its the one in the youtube video at the bottom of the link isn't that just one of the players off the market?

I haven't still got it on mine so I can't remember what its called but that UI looks very familiar...

Actually just got in a again to check and the one I thought it was is called rock on....

Guest starfarer
No difference - if you're happy removing it manually, that's fine :) Just saves time if you can flash a new ROM with all the junk you don't want already stripped out.

It won't break anything - it's there if you want to run Java midlets.

Thanks for reply.

God posting here feels like outsider :). Anyway, I believe most (almost all) uses their own ringtones, wallpapers, notifications, alarms etc so why not an option to remove them ( didn't see on first page)? And an option to add own through browse....dialog box.

Guest Lenslarque

I removed 2 things:

Hi teknologist,

Can you tell me how the tilting of the keyboard is going?

Just installed 3.2 beta 2 after a wipe and I cannot seem to find the "Enable only 2g networks" option.

I need this option because with 3g the battery life drops incredibly quickly :[

Any idea where it could've gone?

Guest keef319
Just installed 3.2 beta 2 after a wipe and I cannot seem to find the "Enable only 2g networks" option.

I need this option because with 3g the battery life drops incredibly quickly :[

Any idea where it could've gone?

If you'd read this thread you'd know. lol

Has anybody else encountered problems with memory card mounting with this ROM?

Was working fine on 3.0 but now when I try to mount the card I get "preparing SD card" and nothing happens. If I go to USB connected from the pull down it prompts me to mount again.

I've formatted the card into FAT32 only from the recovery console and also Windows but the same thing happens.

I can access the card normally in windows by the way and applications are installing to the EXT3 partition fine.

I did a full wipe of the phone going from 3.0-3.1

Apologies if I'm doing something stupid or if this has been mentioned previously.

Edited by jjjack

Guest Dark Riderz

I removed 2 things:

Removed notes app... after first boot kill all process in Astro, wait for homescreen and then battery as good as on 3.0.....