10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest josifbg
The phone is booting if it gets to the Hero screen, but must be locking up on something. I suggest you remove the SD card (whilst the phone is turned off), and try booting normally at first, without the extra memory....

The card is removed now trying Home+power....... HERO Logo...

Back+power.....HERO logo

Back+home+power..... HERO logo

Guest Funkyfin2000

Paul RE Proxy...

this is what I found:

Set proxy for android web browser

There is no UI for proxy settings for android web browser. But the android web browser will read the proxy settings in its settings database.

Here is the instructions to enable the proxy in the android web browser.

> adb shell

# sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

sqlite> INSERT INTO system VALUES(99,’http_proxy', 'proxy:port');

sqlite>.exit

You can talk to settings.db for more information.

sqlite> SELECT * FROM system;

sqlite> .tables

sqlite> .databases

sqlite> .schema table_name

sqlite> more SQL expression to talk to the tables

Don't forget the ';' at the end of the SQL expression.

Guest rico2k_uk
i understand you English but looks like you don't understand mine :)

It doesn't matter what kind of combination i`am doing the phone power`s up and shows HERO logo... as simple as that...

try booting the phone and waiti till it gets the hero logo. connect to usb. use cmd and type in adb shell reboot bootloader. That should work as the linux software is loading (it starts and then it puts up hero logo).

Guest Stevie B

Back+power.....HERO logo

How long are you waiting when at the Hero logo? It's possible that a file system check is going on, but I wouldn't expect it to take too long

Guest markiemrboo

Back+power.....HERO logo

How long are you waiting at the HERO logo for? It'll go to the HERO logo briefly first...

edit - Yes, I also notice that after an update it stays at the HERO logo a bit longer than usual (which scared me) :) It may be worth just leaving it at the HERO logo for a couple of minutes to see what happens...

Edited by markiemrboo

Guest FrAN_oC

Back+power.....HERO logo

Sorry mate :) . It's quite strange... Fastboot screen must be showing on when you press back+power...

Hope you fix your hero ASAP. I can't help you then.

Regards!

So you could create 2 gscripts then, the enabler...

/system/xbin/sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db "INSERT INTO system VALUES(99,’http_proxy', 'proxy:port');"
and the disabler...
/system/xbin/sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db "DELETE * FROM system WHERE id = 99;"

The 'id' field might not be right... I just tried to check the table structure and the 'system' table doesn't seem to exist... 'adb shell /system/xbin/sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db ".tables"' seems to list no tables at all! :)

To do this you'll need sqlite3 in xbin (i'll put in the next ROM, for now grab it from my Vodafone Peep fix post).

P

Guest rico2k_uk

Just to help out, if anyone wants the audio back on the bootscreen I have included the file that is needed.

extract file into your tools folder.

in command type:

adb push boot_animation.xml /system/media/bootscreen

reboot

The only thing I changed for the bootloader is audio - 1.

boot_animation.rar

Guest vik2001

good work paul. i decide to do a clean wipe then install yr new rom. no probs worked first time as always. i think i take a break from upgrading from rom to rom :)

its tired me out :)

Guest josifbg
How long are you waiting at the HERO logo for? It'll go to the HERO logo briefly first...

edit - Yes, I also notice that after an update it stays at the HERO logo a bit longer than usual (which scared me) :) It may be worth just leaving it at the HERO logo for a couple of minutes to see what happens...

More than 10min...

Guest josifbg

Well iam on my way to give up with this too... i really can imagine what exactly happand with his phone...

Actually he doesn't have AndroidSDK on his PC which shocked me a little..

The last step we are going to try is to download the SDK and try to fastboot boot bootloader or adb shell boot bootloader to see what will happen.

Anyway.. iam going to flash 2.0 and the new Radio on my Hero but before doing it i want to ask you guys and to be sure on the following:

I`ve 1.5.1 at the moment with the stock radio 63.18.55.06U_6.35.04.25

Before flashing the 2.0 i thought it is a good idea to wipe everithing including my ext3 then to flash Radio 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18 and the last step to be 2.0...

What do you think?

Guest Stevie B
Well iam on my way to give up with this too... i really can imagine what exactly happand with his phone...

The last step we are going to try is to download the SDK and try to fastboot boot bootloader or adb shell boot bootloader to see what will happen.

Anyway.. iam going to flash 2.0 and the new Radio on my Hero but before doing it i want to ask you guys and to be sure on the following:

Before flashing the 2.0 i thought it is a good idea to wipe everithing including my ext3 then to flash Radio 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18 and the last step to be 2.0...

What do you think?

If he hasn't got the SDK installed you can't access the phone via the USB!!! No drivers or tools etc. Installing the adb, fastboot tools will give you half a chance of recovering the phone.

Most people including Paul, are saying that a wipe is not needed. If you do wipe you may have a lot of work to get your data etc. back

Guest rico2k_uk

What do you think?

As stevieB says, he needs it installed - or at the very least tools (which includes ADB, etc). It will be easy to recover if you follow my instructions once he has the software.

As for yours, no harm in uninstalling all apps, wiping it completly including ext3 partition and installing fresh. Always best, but not nessesary. :)

Guest normanxiao
Changelog

Based on 2.73.405.5 WWE SHIP update

Updated A2SD to leave dalvik-cache on device (should improve performance, we're not that tight on space!)

Restored bootscreen (no sound)

Restored customize directory, this will give only standard WWE build locales - use Custom Locale for others, or 'adb shell remount' then 'adb shell rm -rf /system/customize' then wipe for full menu

Split features into 'core' and 'enhanced' versions

More optimisations

Removed customize directory, added 'Custom Locale' for setting non English locales

Added version information to build.prop

Hi, Paul

the 2.0 new rom can't support Chinese interface well, a lot of UI is English,

and this version hasn't chinese words smart dialing, we realy need it .

so, we suggest you add some language selection in inital start, just like your 1.5.1 version.

thanks

Guest josifbg
If he hasn't got the SDK installed you can't access the phone via the USB!!! No drivers or tools etc. Installing the adb, fastboot tools will give you half a chance of recovering the phone.

Most people including Paul, are saying that a wipe is not needed. If you do wipe you may have a lot of work to get your data etc. back

Well i`ll give it a try even with half a chance ... where i can get the latest adb, fasboot tools?

i`ve got your point and not going to wipe but what about the Radio.. should i install it first or after the 2.0?

Guest dlzerocool

Well I post this perhaps it can help.

----------------------------------------------------

If your phone start to reboot again and again in a loop, then it's certainly because the system partition is full or really close to.

if you use adb shell then mount system mount data etc... then df -h

you'll see that your partition is pretty full.

I hope that you did a nandroid backup. (in case not, just wipe and reinstall... nothing else to do)

so just restore your backup.

Use something like "mybackup" (available on market for 30days trial) to save all your wanted data and system.

(I hope you have your sd card ready to use with A2SD, it's really better)

Reboot then install the new 2.0 firmware.

If you can't boot to restore or update your firmware.

Then you should do this again :

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...ce-permanently/

(It can happens with the windows RUU, it installs a HBOOT so you cannot use the recovery image anymore, you have to do the trick again and reinstall the image with fastboot etc.

Solution here : http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...-the-new-hboot/ )

UBUNTU & Other Linux distributions:

You have to follow this thing to get your phone recognized by adb tools.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=537508

What is really important is :

1- Install the SDK

2- Setting up UDEV to recognize HTC Device.

(Having the usb settings in your phone turn to dev)

Well I hope this help some of you.

Edited by dlzerocool

Guest BoogWeed

I just upgraded to 2.0 and it's AWESOME :) but.......................

.......................still having the same problems as with 1.5.1:

1) chompSMS crashes when pressing 'send' when sending new messages ONLY. I can read message and REPLY to message fine. (Native messages app & handcent both work fine).

2) The phone can't 'obtain address' when trying to connect to wifi & therefore can't connect. It works fine when I enter the IP/Subnet/Gateway/DNS manually. This is fine for when I'm at home but obviously can't always do this when I'm outside, e.g hotspots, friends place etc...

This is the process I followed:

Already had 1.5.1 installed.

Formatted my 8gb memory card

Partitioned it:- 2nd partition: 512mb ext3, 3rd partition: 32mb linux-swap

Wiped phone

Installed latest radio

Installed MCR2.0

Installed chompSms

Installed Handcent

Can anyone help? The chompSms issue isn't that important as Handcent is probably better anyway, but the wifi not connecting isn't cool.. :)

Not having any of those issues... I think the DB format may have changed for 2.x, which could explain the Chomp issue, I no longer use it I have to say!

re: WiFi, again hard to say, my WPA2-Personal network at home connects fine (actually, i've used it with 3 APs no problem?)

P

I'm getting the SMS widget bug, i.e. won't scroll past the 2nd SMS. I have tried wiping, and restoring my SMSs using MyBackup Pro, but the bug persists.

I have removed the Messages widget and reapplied it, and the bug persists. I have noticed that despite having 'read' an unread SMS message, it still shows up on the widget as unread, which could imply some issues with the widget itself.

Is anyone able to confirm if this is happening on the 'official' firmware?

Also, I have noticed that there isn't a Plurk application either.

Guest eagle.al
I'm getting the SMS widget bug, i.e. won't scroll past the 2nd SMS. I have tried wiping, and restoring my SMSs using MyBackup Pro, but the bug persists.

I have removed the Messages widget and reapplied it, and the bug persists. I have noticed that despite having 'read' an unread SMS message, it still shows up on the widget as unread, which could imply some issues with the widget itself.

Is anyone able to confirm if this is happening on the 'official' firmware?

Also, I have noticed that there isn't a Plurk application either.

i mentioned about this problem before, still trying. it works once in a while..

but now after reading ur post, iguess it might be the rom we have installed(v2.0 core), thats why u dont have the plurk app.

weill i guess ill have to try the v2.0 extended rom... hopefully it would solve the problem.. :)

Impressive, Paul. You did it again. My Hero is faster than ever. Even video playing is now absolutely fluid even at high bitrates. I LOVE YOU, man.

No SMS bug here with MCR 2.0 Core.

Edited by Diskun

Guest BoogWeed

I just upgraded to 2.0 and it's AWESOME :) but.......................

.......................still having the same problems as with 1.5.1:

1) chompSMS crashes when pressing 'send' when sending new messages ONLY. I can read message and REPLY to message fine. (Native messages app & handcent both work fine).

2) The phone can't 'obtain address' when trying to connect to wifi & therefore can't connect. It works fine when I enter the IP/Subnet/Gateway/DNS manually. This is fine for when I'm at home but obviously can't always do this when I'm outside, e.g hotspots, friends place etc...

This is the process I followed:

Already had 1.5.1 installed.

Formatted my 8gb memory card

Partitioned it:- 2nd partition: 512mb ext3, 3rd partition: 32mb linux-swap

Wiped phone

Installed latest radio

Installed MCR2.0

Installed chompSms

Installed Handcent

Can anyone help? The chompSms issue isn't that important as Handcent is probably better anyway, but the wifi not connecting isn't cool.. :)

Thanks in advance! :)

UPDATE:

I repeated the whole process outlined above and am please to say the wifi is now working correctly!

I still have the chompSMS issue, but Nevermind, I'll just use Handcent instead... :)

Edited by BoogWeed

Guest BoogWeed

Also, now that I have the sdcard partitioned properly and MCR2.0 installed, will apps & cache automatically be put on the sdcard?

If not, what else to I need to do..?

Edited by BoogWeed