10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest eagle.al
Looking forward to an improved 2.X ROM with perfect Chinese language support. :)

Guys .....I think Its time For 2.1 :)

Hope HTC haven't used us as their guinea pigs to iron out 'Wrinkles' before they release the official rom.

Ohh! i completely forgot, this is a request Paul,

in v2.x if ever , could you please put the dalvik-cache back in sdcard, v1.51 had that. was much faster than 2.0. it also keeps the device clean. thanks. for now im goin back to 1.5.1 (nandroid)

Edited by eagle.al

Guys .....I think Its time For 2.1 :)

Hope HTC haven't used us as their guinea pigs to iron out 'Wrinkles' before they release the official rom.

Ohh! i completely forgot, this is a request Paul,

in v2.x if ever , could you please put the dalvik-cache back in sdcard, v1.51 had that. was much faster than 2.0. it also keeps the device clean. thanks. for now im goin back to 1.5.1 (nandroid)

From reading the posts in XDA over the last couple of months, I was under the impression that dalvik cache was moved to SD card for the purpose of freeing up more on the internal memory, and not for performance reasons. I was also under the impression that the internal data rates are much faster compared to parking the cache on the memory card.

See changelog of the Modaco ROM here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...amp;postcount=2

Notice that me mentioned optimizations done in 1.5, and none was done in 2.0. Be patient and wait for optimizations to be done. In the meantime, let's not be quick to attribute performance improvements to relocation of dalvik-cache to the sd card.

If there are any performance issues that exist in 2.0 over 1.5, keep in mind that Paul had the time to optimize components in 1.5 whereas what he has done so far is to get the 'official' pieces to us as quickly as possible. I would not discount the likelihood that either him and/or other developers out there are now cracking their heads to optimize pieces in the new ROM update, and we can expect performance improvements the way they improved the first-gen modaco ROMs to version 1.5.

Edited by ghoonk

Guest Scott W

Phone noob. I have a virgin TMobile Hero which came with a 2GB microSD. I also have an 8GB micro SD which I would like to use. The instructions refer to partitioning the SD card with an ext3 partition as the second parrtition. Can I do this on any linux box or does it have to be done on the phone?

Thanks.

Guest Stevie B

Morning All - I've upgraded to 2.0 core (from 1.5) and have found a couple of things that I need help with please

1. the problem with paid apps missing in the market is back - i've looked at the build.prop file and compared with an earlier one found on this site - the only difference I can see is the line ro.ril.ecc.HTC-WWE=999 is in 2.0 but that alone means nothing to me

2. locale seems to be US - how do you change it to UK? custom locale doesn't seem to change anything!

3. I had problems with WIFI not functioning - had to add t-mobile username and password for internet apn

Any ideas anyone?

Guest Catscrash

it happened now the second time that I have to reenter my PIN after some hours, but this time i could see what happened.

I think touchflo was killed... at least suddenly there was the "htc" screen, and when touchflo came back i had to reenter the pin...

anyone else had this?

Guest crewone
The tether app should be in your apps list, I think. It was in mine.

It wasn't in mine.

After installing it, the tether would work, but after stopping tethering I would get an error: "Phone is in unknown state. Please reboot."

it happened now the second time that I have to reenter my PIN after some hours, but this time i could see what happened.

I think touchflo was killed... at least suddenly there was the "htc" screen, and when touchflo came back i had to reenter the pin...

anyone else had this?

I got this at least 4 times over the span of 4 hours last night, and twice again today. I would love to know what is causing TouchFlo to restart itself. Just took off the Messages widget to see if that helps, failing which, I'm going to have to reflash the ROM again for the 3rd time in 24 hours.

Hi all,

i'm new to the android world , and i got some information i need

(i got my hero from the UK and its sim-free)

1) what version of the room should i use ?

2) what is the deference between WWE RUU ?

3) is the Sim Free Depend on the version or its checking the IMEI (or something else) ?

hope you can help me

:-)

Guest Igniztion
I got this at least 4 times over the span of 4 hours last night, and twice again today. I would love to know what is causing TouchFlo to restart itself. Just took off the Messages widget to see if that helps, failing which, I'm going to have to reflash the ROM again for the 3rd time in 24 hours.

If you have problems like this and didn't wipe the phone before flashing it, I suggest to do a full factory reset and then reflash.

Alternatively you should run logcat on the phone until this happens and use the log output to figure out what is causing this problem. My phone has been on for >24 hours now without any restarts after I flashed it with 2.0

Guest Micheal.wang

Hei:

excellent rom , paul.

i have 2 questions.

1. how can i put my own mp3 as the phone tone or sms tone? by moving the mp3 into any folder?

2. how can i remount other apps just like youtube that i don't need anyway?

thank you very much@@@

Guest Mark'Oh!
Hei:

excellent rom , paul.

i have 2 questions.

1. how can i put my own mp3 as the phone tone or sms tone? by moving the mp3 into any folder?

2. how can i remount other apps just like youtube that i don't need anyway?

thank you very much@@@

1. put it on your sd card. i'd use one specific folder: media/ringtones (case sensitive).

this way, the mp3-player won't display it but it will be in your list of choices after a restart.

2. http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...unt-other-apps/

Guest professordes
Hi, I updated to the newest 2.0 rom and found that none of my alarms or timer sounds were working, also the large clock widget was not displaying the weather below it.

I reflashed and checked all my settings but nothing worked so I have restored to my backup image and gonna wait for the official update.

I found the weather wasn't displaying too with the 2.0 ROM (after a wipe and install). Removing the widget and then putting it back in again fixed this for me.

Guest eazymoneygs

mt3g help with hero 2.o i dl the new rom. and im reading about the newhe patched Hero recovery image from Cyanogen and ur how to install.. do i have to do this if i have a flash recovery that will format me sd fat32 ext 2 and swap ? when i put the 2.0 version on my sd card and try to flash i get this message

E: cant chown/mod / system /xbin/busybox (no such file or directory )

e: failure at line 41

set_perm 00 04755 system:xbin/busybox

installation aborted

i really really wanna run this fast hero app on my mytouch can u please help

Guest Funkyfin2000

Ive had to completly wipe and then re rom to 2.0 from 1.5 to solve any problems!

Working very nicely, one issue I have found, is adding the clock widget and adding a CITY, say for example, Stafford. That city gets added to the list, but when adding hitting it the Clock on the front comes on screen but it always says Tokyo!!!

Quite annoying, does n't work with all cities....but a bit annoying!

Can someone test thers?

Rich

Guest Stevie B

I'm suffering too many problems with 2.0, so have gone back to 1.5 via my backup. Didn't want to do a total wipe and was/am happy with the 1.5 performance etc.

Guest Micheal.wang

Hi, Everyone:

i want to know can i delete rosie? what is this mean?

there are so many apps i don't know. so as soon as i rooted hero and learned the command.

I have found more and more interesting in Gphone~~

If you have problems like this and didn't wipe the phone before flashing it, I suggest to do a full factory reset and then reflash.

Alternatively you should run logcat on the phone until this happens and use the log output to figure out what is causing this problem. My phone has been on for >24 hours now without any restarts after I flashed it with 2.0

I had wiped the phone, then installed the update.zip. I'm going to just monitor this for the next couple of days, and if it happens again, I'll just wipe and start from scratch. I suspect that this may have something to do with the Messages widget choking on too many messages. Aside from that, the clock and the music widget, that's all I have running on SenseUI

Guest franklinvv

I find it quite disturbing that, when typing using the standard Gmail and Messages app, every time you write a comma or a full stop, a space gets added automatically. There is no gain whatsoever, as you still have to press the shift button in order to write a capital letter afterwards which wasn't necessary before. Also, pressing space twice now adds a full stop, a space and prepares the input for a capital letter automatically. This is all quite counter-intuitive, and even more so because other apps do not support this regression as I prefer to call it. E.g., HTC Peep doesn't do this.

Why did anyone EVER come up with this?!

Edit: apparently, this used to be in the original rom as well? A friend with a virgin Hero just told me that he has almost the same behaviour, although he doesn't have to press shift to enter a capital after a full stop. I'm confused ... I can't see this double space behaviour in my sms archive nor in my mail archive, but it seems to be almost the same behaviour as before?

Edited by franklinvv

Guest chingf0rd
I find it quite disturbing that, when typing using the standard Gmail and Messages app, every time you write a comma or a full stop, a space gets added automatically. There is no gain whatsoever, as you still have to press the shift button in order to write a capital letter afterwards which wasn't necessary before. Also, pressing space twice now adds a full stop, a space and prepares the input for a capital letter automatically. This is all quite counter-intuitive, and even more so because other apps do not support this regression as I prefer to call it. E.g., HTC Peep doesn't do this.

I am 99% happy with the update and the custom ROM (fantastic job Paul), but there is something a bit screwy about the soft keyboard now... aside from the different intelligence as stated above, I'm finding that when the auto correction kicks in, most of the time, the keyboard is disappearing from the screen, requiring you to touch on the text panel to get it back - very frustrating. This never used to happen. Not sure if it happens in landscape mode, but happens in all apps needing keyboard input. Anyone else getting this?

Guest franklinvv
I am 99% happy with the update and the custom ROM (fantastic job Paul), but there is something a bit screwy about the soft keyboard now... aside from the different intelligence as stated above, I'm finding that when the auto correction kicks in, most of the time, the keyboard is disappearing from the screen, requiring you to touch on the text panel to get it back - very frustrating. This never used to happen. Not sure if it happens in landscape mode, but happens in all apps needing keyboard input. Anyone else getting this?

I never experienced that behaviour. Did you do a complete wipe before you did the update? (Must be a fairly standard question in this topic. :))

Edit: apparently, this used to be in the original rom as well? A friend with a virgin Hero just told me that he has almost the same behaviour, although he doesn't have to press shift to enter a capital after a full stop. I'm confused ... I can't see this double space behaviour in my sms archive nor in my mail archive, but it seems to be almost the same behaviour as before?

Correct. All the 'problems' you described have been features since the G1. And yes, Peep does this as well.

Hi! First post here, first attempt at installing a Hero rom on my g1.

I have the latest danger spl & radio, but i'm having some trouble.

cm-hero-recovery.img sticks on the g1 screen after fastboot boot cm-hero-recovery.img, so i'm using cyanogenmod v1.4 +jf

-

I've alt+w wiped, yet every time I try either the core or full image, after 'Copying files...' i get

E: Can't chown/mod /system/xbin/busybox (No such file or directory)

E: Failure at line 41:: set_perm 0 0 04755 SYSTEM:xbin/busybox.

Installation aborted.

-

I have not changed any partitions from default on either my g1 or sdcard, is this a problem?

- Ruint