10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Hi guys.

I've been using the MoDaCo ROM version 2.0 core up until recently. where my phone can no longer receive any SMSes or make any phone calls (i.e. any call will end straight after it was started).

I had the same problem once when i was on the version 1.4, but the problem was solved when i updated the radio to the latest one (63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18). Everything was going smoothly even when i flashed version 2.0 core, but then it stopped functioning again when i restarted the phone. Tried reflashing both radio and ROM countless times but short of a wipe because i'd have to reconfigure my contacts all over again, which is a pain in the neck.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Guest nilmunny
Havent seen any issues with my wireless, but I dont really use it much since I have an unlimited data plan.

Radio update will not wipe apps and data, but regardless, you should always do a proper nandroid backup before you apply.

You can do a selective backup/restore with MyBackup off the Android market, which I use, there is a free version which lats 30 days, but the pro one isnt that expensive.

My alarm works okay, but I find that "Alarming!", a program off the market for about 99p works better, it lets me do a proper silent alarm using the vibrate function instead of trying to find a blank sound file.

Hope that helps

Thanks for that!!!

I have an unlimited data plan too but it is subject to a "fair usage policy" so when i can i just use the wireless instead but it only seems to work at home right now.

Way ahead of you on the backup app. I have backed up my stuff ready to try a few things.

Here is my plan of action.

1. Try a radio update to see if this fixes my wireless issues.

2. if that dont work going to try wiping and flashing the 2.2 ROM again, then using the backup app to restore everything.

3.hmm...havent really got another plan. Will probably just have to live with using the phone network for data when i am not at home and hope another update (when it comes out) will fix my wireless issues.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!!

:)

Guest nilmunny
Hello

Have the same setup as you but only problem I've had so far is the "SMS-issue". The sql-mod handled that though. The alarm didn't work right after apgrading but after creating a new ext3-partition (to enable apps2sd) and rebooting everything works perfect. No issue with Wifi. Telephone is incredibly much faster and responsive after the upgrade. It seems that implementing "apps2sd" improved performance further.

Hmm, interesting...

So it might be worth creating an ext3 partition then. I thought my phone was running pretty damn fast as it is so i didnt see a need to do the partition thing.

Is this easy enough to do? If it fixes the alarm issues i have been having then that would be great!!

Thanks dude!

Guest Yamthief

How can I update the files in this Zip and resign it so that it will install?

I would like to modify this ROM to customise it a little :)

no matter how hard i look online this just doesnt seem to be documented anywhere!

My wifi now wont find any networks, in 2 ft away from my router with my laptop connected wirelessly and my Hero say 'not in range' and when i click scan pretty much nothin at all happens?!....

I had the same problem, applied the latest radio update (again) and it works now.

AGHHHHHHHH :-( and WOOOOOP :-) at the same time?.....

Phone works sooooo much faster now with new rom and far better reception with the new radio image......

but......

My wifi now wont find any networks, in 2 ft away from my router with my laptop connected wirelessly and my Hero say 'not in range' and when i click scan pretty much nothin at all happens?!....

any 1 pleaaaaaaaaaaaase throw sum light on this problem 4 me as its a pretty dire situation iv found myself in tho....

however jus to re-iterate.....

AWESOME ROM DUDE.....SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER!!!! :-D

Try going to 'Wi-Fi settings', once in there press menu and select 'Advanced' and in 'Regulatory domain' ensure you allow up to the WiFi channel number your router.

The highest channel allowed in certain countries are stricted (in the US and Japan I believe) and you could have been REALLY unlucky and only have tried to use wifi networks on channels 11/13/14.

If yea did a wipe before flash this might be the cause

then again, it might not :)

Hello. thanks for the great modified rom. I have some questions (hero owner since 3 days = noob). Sorry if I repeat something, 43 pages is a rather long list to read...

1. it seems that after installation, I did not get all the applications that are described to be included in the build (installed as described in the initial post)

The following apps were not included (installed 2.2c):

• Spare Parts (installed manually)
  • Custom Locale (no need for it, so didnt install)
  • android-wifi-tether (installed manually, doesn't work, error message "process android.tether has stopped unexpectedly"
  • WMSM (no need for it, so didnt install)
  • terminfo and settings - not sure if they work/are installed, as when i am using adb shell, "←[1;34mcache←[0m" is how for example "ls" command output looks like.
  • Also the mentioned nano output looks weird to say the least

2. Not sure if my memory settings are ok for a2sd, as 88% of the /system is used according to the bellow. Also my 32.7mb swap partition doesnt look to be used.

df -h

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on

tmpfs 96.2M 0 96.2M 0% /dev

tmpfs 4.0M 0 4.0M 0% /sqlite_stmt_journals

/dev/block/mtdblock3 170.0M 150.0M 20.0M 88% /system

/dev/block/mtdblock5 165.8M 35.1M 130.7M 21% /data

/dev/block/mtdblock4 130.0M 2.3M 127.7M 2% /cache

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 915.1M 24.6M 841.7M 3% /system/sd

/dev/block//vold/179:1

2.7G 3.2M 2.7G 0% /sdcard

3. is there a good way of accessing the ext3 sd partition from linux?

4. can I somehow install midnight commander to be accessible in a normal mode from adb shell?

5. It seems that I am unable to access paid applications from the market.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Guest perdolis

Hello Paul!

Awesome job with ROM! I got question though - is there Russian keyboard in this ROM?

It was hidden in original virgin ROM in my scandinavian phone, so I had to root it and than tweak some .xmls

So, if I'll flash with your ROM will I be able to get Russian keyboard together with English. I don't need Russian menus, just keys.

Typing lots of Russian mails and SMSs.

Thanks again,

Alex

Guest Inspiration

Hi I'm new to the forums. I was wondering do anyone have the full instructions on how to install this on the tmobile mytouch 3G. Also how can I tell if my device is 32A or B? Also can i do this with a 2gb sd card or does it have to be higher? My last question is do you still get wifi,3g,blueetooth?

i need some serious help..

I downloaded the orange rom (from the htc website). I then found this rom and I'd like to give this one a try, the problem is however that i get the message:

"fastboot boot cm-hero-recovery.img

downloading 'boot.img'... FAILED (remote: not allow)"

i've tried to use this page: http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero...-the-new-hboot/

but i just don't understand what i'm doing..

anyone willing to help? :/

thank you

I too know very little about this but did you Root the phone (give access to admin permissions is the windows equivalent - sorry to mention the W word on here...).

If any other newbies are stuck doing this - I was using what very little knowledge I had to cock up the instructions. I was trying to use the commands referenced in Tribaal's post on page 41 whilst booted into what I believe is called 'Fastboot'. Kept getting database not found. Tried just connecting the phone when booted normally, entered the adb shell, ran the instructions and all was well.

Don't know if anyone is as dumb as me but thought I'd post to save any wasted time....

Guest madaman972

What about a bluetooth stereo Bugfix ? Bluetooth streaming using A2DP/ AVRCP profile don't seems to be working with 2.73.405.5 . Is it a fix somewhere ?

(Sorry I'm french and my english is not pretty good).

Guest perdolis
Hello Paul!

Awesome job with ROM! I got question though - is there Russian keyboard in this ROM?

It was hidden in original virgin ROM in my scandinavian phone, so I had to root it and than tweak some .xmls

So, if I'll flash with your ROM will I be able to get Russian keyboard together with English. I don't need Russian menus, just keys.

Typing lots of Russian mails and SMSs.

Thanks again,

Alex

Anyone know this?

Guest Yamthief

Hi all, this may sound like a stupid question, but how do you check if Apps2SD is functioning correctly?

I have an 8GB SD that i formatted to 7.4GB Fat32, 32MB EXT3 (for linux swap etc) and 500MB EXT3 for Apps, but i have no idea to see if it worked!

Also, i have reinstaled the ROM a few times since the SD card was formatted, do i need to redo the partitions for swap and apps for the phone to recognise and use them?

Many thanks in advance :)

@Paul

Thanx for your great Rom . it's vaery fast and so stable

I have only one problem :)

Are u have any idea for reading arabic text on hero? , i can't do this & i can't find any solution for this problem.

Edited by diyaco

Version 2.3 is now online. Most of the changes are under the hood (again), you'll notice that you get the new People widget, facilitated by changing the base ROM.

The ROM is now available in regular and chinese versions, and the 'enhanced' features are now an addon pack to the base of your choice.

There will be some cool stuff coming soon in 'enhanced', and some even cooler stuff once HTC release the kernel source, but i'm open to requests for 2.4! :)

P

My first post here.

Just one thing I noticed after upgrading to version 2.3.

Overclockwidget seems to have stopped working. (I have tried to uninstall/reinstall the widget)

I noticed before upgrading that /proc/cpuinfo (bogomips changed when turning off the screen). This does not happen now.

Anyone else running overclockwidget that have noticed the same thing? Or is it just me?

Love your ROM btw :) Keep up the good work.