10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Yes the 3rd partition is optional. You can just define 1-FAT 2-Linux(ext2 or ext3) and use a swapfile on /system/sd if desired. According to my tests it is best to have a swap size of ~24MB, and to set /proc/sys/vm/swappiness at 0.

It would be cool (for Linux users) if we could use ext2 instead of FAT too - I haven't tried it - but I don't think it's supported.

That's not supported by the system. Not yet.

And it's not supported by the recovery image system, which is more important in my opinion. Not yet.

Guest CitizenLee

Can anyone confirm if the trackball lights up for email and SMS / MMS notifications in 2.5.1?

It's the only issue I'm having with v2.2 which I am currently using.

Cheers :)

Edited by CitizenLee

Guest Khrushchev

Hey guys,

I installed 2.5.1 last night and its running fine, EXCEPT for one issue.

this afternoon i was messing with some camera settings, greyscale, sepia. and now it force closes when i try to open it.

not sure whats happening.

any help would be nice.

regards

Khrush

Guest Mark'Oh!
Can anyone confirm if the trackball lights up for email and SMS / MMS notifications in 2.5.1?

It's the only issue I'm having with v2.2 which I am currently using.

Cheers :)

It does... Still only in htc applications, and not in GMail and the like.

Guest casper23

hi! on my hero i have rom 2.0 and now i try to install 2.4 and 2.5 and now on both (2.4 and 2.5) when phone loads and came to loading screen he reboot and do this again all time! What cause that? I entered custom recovery image before and install new radio!

Guest Beekhouse

I flashed the radio again because of the problem with wifi not working in the browser, but now it says foramatting cache.... in the recovery screen. Anybody knows what to do?

Guest phillevy
I flashed the radio again because of the problem with wifi not working in the browser, but now it says foramatting cache.... in the recovery screen. Anybody knows what to do?

Just reboot - it has already finished formatting cache

Guest Da Tiga

that sounds pretty good...

i think i try to update from my 2.3 in the next days...

but there is one question remaining:

does anybody know something about the bluetooth file transfer!?

do you think that this would be work someday?

greetz,

da tiga

Guest AndyTownsend

Do you need to wipe before installing this one if your going from v1.5? If you do need to wipe then anyone have a decent SMS backup app? I have the SMS2Gmail one but it doesn't offer the restore feature yet.

Cheers,

Andy

After formatting my SD card to get the ext3 partition I performed a wipe (coming from stock 2.73), then flashed the radio followed by 2.5.1. I was surprised to see my apps still installed!? I've done several wipes (from recovery and via the factory default menu) but each time I still see my apps.

Firstly, why are the apps still there? Am I missing something obvious? Secondly, how do I get rid of them so that I can re-install them and they get installed to the SD card?

Thanks for any pointers.

Cowie

Guest Deegzor

I installed modaco 2.5.1 rom yesteday and it worked well but today my touch input force closes all the time and i can't write any messages i have cleared the data from touch input and booted several times nothing works... should i install the rom again and if i do does my paid apps still be there or are they deleted?

Guest Beekhouse

Just wanna say that the browsing over wifi problem isnt about this rom. there a lot of people experiencing it, its a much bigger problem than I thought I think one that HTC has got to solve..

Great job on the new Rom. Just had a few questions I was hoping that you could help me on. I installed the Rom on my previous Hero (which had a hardware problem so I received a new one this morning) and there were a few errors:

1. The pearl at the bottom of the phone would remain flashing following the notification being checked.

2. My contacts would not update according to their fbook links

Just wanted to know if these were common problems or was it just mine? Also, the notification light at the top of my phone does not flash when I receive a text message - Im using the standard HTC message app because I like the format with the contact photos from fbook being use. Im aware that Chomp allows the flashing led...just wanted to know whether the standard message app has a setting somewhere I can change.

The new rom is superfast! Just wanted to clear these enquiries up before I decide to update this current rom...standard HTC rom does lag alot..as you already know!

Thanks

Jas

hello can somebody help me?, i haw problem whit the latest 2.5.1 i cant install programs i haw bayd from market, it begins the installation and it stops this is the following programs i haw problem whit

facebook contact sync

ThinkFree Mobile office Suite

AndRovio

DroidLive

Scan2PDF Mobile

twideoid PRO for twitter

send 2 PRinter

Shares

BarTor

Bloo

But free program can i install whit out eney problem i haw cleand cache from market and rebooted it dount help

i haw tryd maket enabler to se if it can help but it dount help

i haw reinstalled 2.5.1 and made clean new install it dount help

and i haw the latest Radio installed

this is from Logcat

D/dalvikvm( 194): GC freed 47 objects / 2264 bytes in 93ms

I/installd( 87): free_cache(1217022) avail 149409792

I/ActivityManager( 105): Starting activity: Intent { action=android.intent.action.VIEW comp={com.android.vending/com.android.vending.AssetPermissionsSubActivity} (has extras) }

I/XT9IME ( 348): [finishInput]

I/ActivityManager( 105): Displayed activity com.android.vending/.AssetPermissionsSubActivity: 185 ms

W/vending ( 584): com.android.vending.BaseConfirmSubActivity$1.handleRequest(): unknown requestId: 446

D/dalvikvm( 584): GC freed 8530 objects / 606360 bytes in 145ms

D/dalvikvm( 303): GC freed 1026 objects / 141392 bytes in 95ms

D/dalvikvm( 437): GC freed 504 objects / 74400 bytes in 163ms

D/LocationMasfClient( 105): getNetworkLocation(): Returning cache location with accuracy 75.0

I/ActivityManager( 105): Stopping service: com.google.android.apps.maps/com.google.googlenav.friend.android.LocationFriendService

D/LocationMasfClient( 105): getNetworkLocation(): Returning cache location with accuracy 75.0

I/ActivityManager( 105): Stopping service: com.google.android.apps.maps/com.google.googlenav.friend.android.LocationFriendService

I/NotificationService( 105): enqueueToast pkg=com.android.vending callback=android.app.ITransientNotification$Stub$Proxy@439397c8 duration=1

D/dalvikvm( 105): GC freed 22357 objects / 1211000 bytes in 266ms

I/ActivityManager( 105): Stopping service: com.android.vending/.InstallAssetReceiver$InstallAssetService

I/vending ( 584): com.android.vending.AssetDownloader.startDownload(): Download request row inserted at content://downloads/download/23

D/DownloadManager( 211): http error 404 for download 23

D/dalvikvm( 211): threadid=25 wakeup: interrupted

I/vending ( 584): com.android.vending.AssetDownloader$DownloadManagerBroadcastReceiver.getDownloadStatus(): Unexpected status from download - 404

D/dalvikvm( 437): GC freed 863 objects / 94304 bytes in 104ms

Edited by Skaven

hello can somebody help me?, i haw problem whit the latest 2.5.1 i cant install programs i haw bayd from market, it begins the installation and it stops this is the following programs i haw problem whit

facebook contact sync

ThinkFree Mobile office Suite

AndRovio

DroidLive

Scan2PDF Mobile

twideoid PRO for twitter

send 2 PRinter

Shares

BarTor

Bloo

But free program can i install whit out eney problem i haw cleand cache from market and rebooted it dount help

i haw tryd maket enabler to se if it can help but it dount help

i haw reinstalled 2.5.1 and made clean new install it dount help

and i haw the latest Radio installed

this is from Logcat

D/dalvikvm( 194): GC freed 47 objects / 2264 bytes in 93ms

I/installd( 87): free_cache(1217022) avail 149409792

I/ActivityManager( 105): Starting activity: Intent { action=android.intent.action.VIEW comp={com.android.vending/com.android.vending.AssetPermissionsSubActivity} (has extras) }

I/ActivityManager( 105): Displayed activity com.android.vending/.AssetPermissionsSubActivity: 185 ms

W/vending ( 584): com.android.vending.BaseConfirmSubActivity$1.handleRequest(): unknown requestId: 446

D/dalvikvm( 584): GC freed 8530 objects / 606360 bytes in 145ms

D/dalvikvm( 303): GC freed 1026 objects / 141392 bytes in 95ms

D/dalvikvm( 437): GC freed 504 objects / 74400 bytes in 163ms

I/NotificationService( 105): enqueueToast pkg=com.android.vending callback=android.app.ITransientNotification$Stub$Proxy@439397c8 duration=1

D/dalvikvm( 105): GC freed 22357 objects / 1211000 bytes in 266ms

I/ActivityManager( 105): Stopping service: com.android.vending/.InstallAssetReceiver$InstallAssetService

I/vending ( 584): com.android.vending.AssetDownloader.startDownload(): Download request row inserted at content://downloads/download/23

D/DownloadManager( 211): http error 404 for download 23

D/dalvikvm( 211): threadid=25 wakeup: interrupted

I/vending ( 584): com.android.vending.AssetDownloader$DownloadManagerBroadcastReceiver.getDownloadStatus(): Unexpected status from download - 404

D/dalvikvm( 437): GC freed 863 objects / 94304 bytes in 104ms

Can this be the cause? http://jkontherun.com/2009/09/30/update-pa...cial-os-builds/

Edited by naTTan

Hi everyone, I'm hoping for you all that I'm the only one experiencing this problem. First of all here's what I tried.

Was on 2.73.405.5 when since 2 days ago google sync didn't accept my credentials anymore. Happened before and read on the internet to do a hard reset and clear the data of the applications, which in the past did resolve the issue.

After too many resets I grew tired and made the jump to the 2.5.1 custom rom hoping it would fix this issue, which I must say is a neat piece of work, runs real smooth here :) I did a complete wipe after making a nandroid backup, however I'm still not able to sync. I am currently residing in China, which basically means that they randomly block things now and then (think facebook, youtube, twitter etc etc.)

Also tried both wifi and mobile internet but it doesn't make a difference.

Simply returns the same message the whole time: "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server."

Hopefully someone can provide me with some feedback or something I can do so it works again.

Again, great great job on the custom rom!

Cheers,

A

Has any1 tried the donut? I saw someone talking about installing the 1.6 from the developers site earlier in the thread... But has any1 tried it?

Oh and btw... 2.5.1 rocks :( The facebook-contact-update took some time, but it got there eventually :)

Edited by ZiCoN

Been using 2.1 up until now - and I'm really happy with 2.5.1 - solid work as always! :)

Some people say that the updated HTC Rom was the way the Hero was always supposed to work; I'd say that with 2.5 it's the way it was always supposed to work. Keep being awesome Paul!

Quick question though; when rebooting the phone, a minute after pushing in the pin-code, there is a small notification saying "service stopped" - any ideas as to what this might be?

Thanks!

I'm not sure, but having eventually managed to get rid of my apps (re-partition SD card again immediately followed by a wipe, then 2.5.1 zip) only to find that I can't download apps I've already purchased. Free apps are fine and I can purchase, download and install fine, it's just apps that I've already bought that won't download. I've killed the Market app, cleared the Market cache and re-booted but without success. I've installed Market Enabler to see if it manages to skirt around the problem - no luck.

Edited by Cowie

hey Paul, great work! many thanks.

Some bugs I've encountered...

* Phone restarts with no error when I add and play a bit with the clock widget, email widget and basically every HTC widget.

* new People widget (both sizes...) doesn't support my language (Hebrew) for some reason... crashes com.htc.launcher when I scroll it (works if I only press the contact photo)

I did a wipe before I went to 2.51 and also another one after I flashed it.

Other than these, very fast and intuitive, much better than 2.3 and even faster than 2.2.

Thank you.

Been reading up on the Google forums about the problems people are having with paid for apps not downloading. I don't understand why it doesn't affect everybody on 2.5.1 but it look like I'm going to have to roll back to the stock 2.73 and see if I can get my paid for apps back (fingers crossed).

If anyone has a solution please feel free to shout out.