10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

" A 'wipe' is advised when installing this ROM, but may not strictly be necessary - please report your results! - P"

This is written by Paul on the first page of this long long thread. You only have to scroll down a little....

Anyone installing custom ROMs should at least read a little, especially some of the early on stuff, to get an idea on what could happen when installing and ways of getting around possible problems when installing the ROMs. You learn more and end up with less possible 'problems' being posted.

i hope this will not end in an endless discussion, but IMHO this kind of information should be contained in the first post, together with the other instructions. also it should read more like "if you are experiencing problems first wipe, then report!" or sthing, we have seen enough noobs being not able to understand instructions that weren't 100% clear (which "wipe is advised" isn't, as it doesn't say anything about a wipe solving problems.) but i see i am outvoted here, so i'm gonna rest my case... :D

Guest CeNSuRaDo

Yep I've already tried to reflash and still the same.

I wonder what I did different from all of you though it's not that a big problem having home button yellow and not white, just want to know how I get there

Cheers

Yep I've already tried to reflash and still the same.

I wonder what I did different from all of you though it's not that a big problem having home button yellow and not white, just want to know how I get there

Cheers

and you are sure that it is not just beer, coffe, coke (and by that i mean the famous drink :D or something like that? i am just wondering, if the leds for the keys are colored, then why

1. don't i know it?

2. is there no app in the market to change it?

3. is it not used by software _at all_?

4. the hell isn't it changed by MCR? i want colored buttons, esp. trackball!

oh and to emphasize what i was saying before: did you do a wipe before the reflash?

Guest teknologist
I'm having problem with the Wifi-tether. It constantly forces close. Anyone found a solutuion to this problem?

I have Modaco 2.8 rom

If you read the topic, you'll find the answer mate!

Uninstall and reinstall using 1.6pre3, reboot, you are set!

Guest teknologist
If you don't do anything complex, don't need all the 'features' of the HTC Sense and just want it as a basic Android phone, which you won't load up with apps then it sounds OK..

But just look at the 'still not working' / 'To be added' and tell me that it won't have an impact on it's performance?

Not for me I'm afraid, I am loving 2.8/1.7... slow downs are rare, and it still remains very responsive when you have 20 things open!

Horses for courses...

When ION is actually a working ROM (I don't consider 90% of the hardware features 'not working' a working ROM), maybe it'll be worth considering (for me that is)..

Still, nice to see you've found the perfect ROM for you!

Well just to let you know, LoxDev's kernel is basically my configuration (he even writes it in his first post on XDA)

I sent it to him a week ago and he replaced mck-teknologist by community in the kernel name...

As for the rest it's exactly the same. HTC stock 2.6.27 with compache patch and all my config options changed/enabled.

Just wanted to clear any confusion.

No comment... ;-)

Edited by teknologist

I think he shouldn't do that though..Your work is your work..He doesn't have any right to change the name and distribute at community's name..I spread your kernel to anyone who has android in Malaysia..I tell them straight forward "Its teknologist's kernel. He's an awesome programmer". How tough is that?

Guest NordicZz

First of all, your custom ROM is amazing, Paul. Though I experience a major issue that apparently only I experience. The issue is that I every single day get the error message “The process System has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." and a fore close button, and to stop this message reappearing over and over again I have to restart my phone every time, but the strange thing about it is that it only happens ONCE a day randomly. It can happen when I use the phone, it can happens when I’ve not touched the phone for a while. The funny/strange thing about is as mentioned that it only happens once every single day :D

I think that I’ve had the problem at least since MCR 2.5 and I have tried to wipe several times before and after I have flashed the ROM to no success.

Perhaps my Hero is defective or something since I haven't have seen any other people with similar problems :P

I think I may will install the offical update by HTC to see if the same things happen then...

I think he shouldn't do that though..Your work is your work..He doesn't have any right to change the name and distribute at community's name..I spread your kernel to anyone who has android in Malaysia..I tell them straight forward "Its teknologist's kernel. He's an awesome programmer". How tough is that?

well that is the deal with opensource, he can do it. imho it is not wrong either, as he gives credit to the changes to teknologist. and he does not claim it as his own work, he calls it community kernel, and teknologist is one of the community :D

Guest shokka9

share the love, it is standard in the ROM development scenes, i know this too :P

as long as you give props (and get permission) to the originator/developer/modifier then we all should be happy. Even more so in the Android world, as Kendon says, this is opensource...

This is why i am here....

When i eventually get some time, i will totally rework a build, but of course, i would like to include some stuff Paul does, and of course what Teknologist does.

But right now, i have NO time for learning. I still make Windows Mobile ROMs for Omnia i900, but they are slowing due to my personal life.

So, as long as another dev/chef DOESNT steal from another, then its GOOD news for all of us. The more talent we can get onboard the better.

Thanks Paul, Teknologist and everyone else making stuff for Android & our HTC Hero!!

:D

Guest donyork

First I Want to say Thanks for the great job done here by Paul, makeing a better expirience for all of us. :P

I note an issue today that the auto backlight display stop to work.

I'm using 2.8 with kernel 1.7

Did someone else note it also on is hero? :D

Edited by donyork

Guest robin hansson

hey guys!

and a salute to paul and teknologist for making our heroes usable! ;)

i just wanted to throw my two cents in.

wouldn't it be nice to be able to download the rom/kernel updates via an updater application?

i know i'd reeeeally like that.

so i started researching it just now.

it seems like you could use cyanogen updater for the main job, since it's a pretty mature and good application.

so it seems like the "only" thing you need to do is to host a couple of .json property files somewhere, containing the urls and some description of the updates.

i'll be glad to host these files, but i have some questions first;

is the only good way of maintaining these files to parse these forums for updates and put the info in there, or is there a better way?

secondly; am i retarded? i've done some searching for this but nothing really came up.

i just feel like maybe it's my time to contribute to the android community this time, and i will.

just looking for some pointers. :D

also, i don't really know how to make the cm updater handle both teknologist's kernels and paul's roms, since the mirrors is defined in one field, and the file names in another...

maybe it's easier to just write a new application for this?

sorry if this is a bit off topic and if the information is already out there somewhere, i just couldn't find it.

i've made a ... pretty sad effort at attaining this.

if you download cyanogenmod updater, and put this url in the "rom update" setting;

http://emagine.se/~robin/update_file.json

your phone should tell you there's an update availible and let you download both the modaco rom (2.8 core) and teknologist kernel (1.8)

please note that this is ... BARELY a proof of concept and needs a lot of work... :P

ideas??

cheers!

Edited by robin hansson

Guest bbawden
Version 2.9 of MCR is now up with Teknologists Custom Kernel 1.8, 2.73.405.61 base and a few other bits. See changelog (second post) for details!

P

Hi Paul. Thanks for the update.

The link for the 2.9 Enhanced seems to be broken. Core is OK.

Thanks,

Ben

Paul, do you update the Google Maps to 3.1.2(include latitude)? in the old MoDaCo 2.8, we must update it from market.

Spare parts needs update too.

Edited by pper

Guest isMaskin

Hi.

I love your custom roms but in 2.9 i don't seem to have root access. I have tryed to wipe it aswell without success. Anyone else having the same problem?

Guest teknologist
well that is the deal with opensource, he can do it. imho it is not wrong either, as he gives credit to the changes to teknologist. and he does not claim it as his own work, he calls it community kernel, and teknologist is one of the community :D

I completely agree with you Kendon. I am uploading the sources to github anyway for anyone to see.

And again, I didn't program anything, just configured the kernel differently (that's why I in the first time I didn't think was useful to upload the sources somewhere)

Lets avoid a flame war.

Hi.

I love your custom roms but in 2.9 i don't seem to have root access. I have tryed to wipe it aswell without success. Anyone else having the same problem?

me too

I have same problem

Guest teknologist

Just an info from my experience upgrading to 2.9.

Let it boot, reboot etc. until it is finished, as if you have lots of apps in A2SD, it takes a few minutes (took about 5mn for me) with some reboots to complete the install.

If you interrupt you will end up with having to reinstall all your A2SD apps..

Guest flipper203

Paul,

what do you mean by app2sd is automatic now, I don t have it installed for the moment on modaco 2.8 + 1.8 kernel...if I update to 2.9, it will create the ext partitions on the sd and transfer the applications or do I have to wipe, install, and then reinstall all the applications?