10/Mar 3.2 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for GSM Hero (now with online kitchen)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Keramidas

For the_PAQman and theFRAGGLE: Thanks for posting your memory figures. I suppose that you never tried Teknologist's kernel, before installing MoDaCo 2.9 ? That kernel uses Compcache which (if you have few programs loaded) appears to take away ~80 MB of RAM. But in reality, you how have a 80MB pool that can hold much more than that (using compressed RAM pages). That pool is not included in the "free RAM" display. So even if it appears to have less RAM left, in fact everything should run considerably faster - and you should be able to run many more programs at once :D

Edited by Keramidas

Guest MrBackslash

I have wiped my Hero an installed MCR 2.9 again to try if i can access to my paid apps in the market. Unfortunately i doesn't worked. Some apps are still missing :D

Guest theFRAGGLE
I suppose that you never tried Teknologist's kernel, before installing MoDaCo 2.9 ?

Actually I had MCR 2.7 / 2.8 and the teknologist kernel 1.7 / 1.8 until yesterday...

But I think I checked my free space before that... :D

Very nice, updated and easily done.

One thing, the first time I rebooted the hero from the recovery mode it went straight back to recovery - I hit the reboot option again and it got to the HTC logo and stayed there a very very long time, took the battery out and rebooted again and all was well. Worried for a moment or two :D

Guest Stea1thmode
Actually I had MCR 2.7 / 2.8 and the teknologist kernel 1.7 / 1.8 until yesterday...

But I think I checked my free space before that... :D

Yesderday I had Modaco 2.8 and Teknologist kernal 1.8, available space was 130mb

having now installed 2.9, it is 100mb

eveything else seems to be running smoothly eg, market and apps2sd

Edited by Stea1thmode

Yesderday I had Modaco 2.8 and Teknologist kernal 1.8, available space was 130mb

having now installed 2.9, it is 100mb

me too, after install apps, it is 80mb

I keep getting this error when my Hero starts up..

"The application Google Maps (process com.google.android.apps.maps) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

Guest phillevy
WHOW! Unbelievable speed! @_@

Hero just turned into SUPER HERO!

If Hero was a religion, Paul has to be the god and Teknologist has to be the angel!

LOL

Anyone have any clue of where those 30mb are gone?

Calm down people, what you see as "free memory" is the remaining capacity of your "data" block device (let's call it a partition for the non-unixers), not the ram. Hero has the user's apps on this partition as well as some cache and some other system stuff. It looks like Paul just packed some more stuff on that device. If you use app2sd it doesn't affect you, since your apps will be stored on sd. Otherwise you should be able to free "memory" the usual way.

May someone with MCR 2.9 please do a "du -hs /data/*"? That will tell who hogs the mem.

Keep Cool

Niki

Guest CeNSuRaDo

It's not the first time that this occurs with me, after updating to a newer version somehow my FAT partition becomes unreadable and keeps saying "Damaged SD Card"

I guess one more time I'll have to re-format FAT and upload all of my files again without even knowing what happened and why...

sucks :D

Guest theFRAGGLE
May someone with MCR 2.9 please do a "du -hs /data/*"? That will tell who hogs the mem.

# du -hs /data/*

124.5K	/data/anr

512	/data/app

512	/data/app-private

4.0K	/data/btips

52.1M	/data/dalvik-cache

23.5M	/data/data

512	/data/drm

3.5K	/data/dropbear

512	/data/init.sh

861.0K	/data/local

2.0K	/data/lost+found

48.5K	/data/misc

3.5K	/data/property

279.0K	/data/system

2.0K	/data/tombstones

1.2M	/data/xbin

I keep getting this error when my Hero starts up..

"The application Google Maps (process com.google.android.apps.maps) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

Whatever the reason was, I reinstalled GMaps from the market and the problem was fixed.. :D

Guest Keramidas

Loxley, I think that's /system that is (almost) totally full on MoDaCo's ROM, and this is no issue as it is mounted read-only. I don't think Paul puts any additional stuff in /data. So I guess that they actually talk about RAM - in which case I'm puzzled, as even a prior user of Teknologist's kernel mentioned 30MB more usage ?

Loxley, I think that's /system that is (almost) totally full on MoDaCo's ROM, and this is no issue as it is mounted read-only. I don't think Paul puts any additional stuff in /data. So I guess that they actually talk about RAM - in which case I'm puzzled, as even a prior user of Teknologist's kernel mentioned 30MB more usage ?

Hi Keramidis,

/system is not full, readonly and of no significance. /data grew by about 20-30 MB for these guys. Free memory corresponds to /data on my Hero and theirs (give or take a few MB). I believe it's /data.

My bet is on /data/dalvic-cache because it seems obscenely large on theFRAGGLE phone, but I would leave that alone. Perhaps the dex-files just need more space on the new rom.

HTH

Niki

Clear your dalvik-cache (reboot to recovery, then do 'adb shell rm -rf /data/dalvik-cache'), reboot and wait (it'll take a little while to boot) and then tell me if it's better!

Still working on market issue...

P

Clear your dalvik-cache (reboot to recovery, then do 'adb shell rm -rf /data/dalvik-cache'), reboot and wait (it'll take a little while to boot) and then tell me if it's better!

I cleared the dalvik-cache. After the reboot it has been rebuild and the size is the same as before (over 50MB).

I restored a nandroid-backup of 2.8 (with Teknologist's kernel) and there the dalvik-cache is only 14MB.

It seems to be a problem with the creation of the dalvik-cache.

Guest pandablue

Still working on market issue...

P

Hi Paul, when do you think that you can release Chinese core version? I keep trying dling now...by changing the dl url to 2.9.......

btw, Great work, you are the man!!! Thanks for your efforts.

Guest Musicmannetje

Great work, Paul!

I don't know if this is my setup but I had to do a mount -a in the adb shell before I could delete the cache dir. The -rf option doesn't complain if a directory is not there, so rm-ing before the mount command doesn't delete anything....

Pat.

Guest Ignis1982

# du -hs /data/*

153.5K	/data/anr

36.3M	/data/app

2.0K	/data/app-private

16.5K	/data/btips

51.6M	/data/dalvik-cache

36.7M	/data/data

512	/data/drm

3.5K	/data/dropbear

512	/data/init.sh

8.5K	/data/local

2.0K	/data/lost+found

44.0K	/data/misc

4.0K	/data/property

241.5K	/data/system

2.0K	/data/tombstones

1.2M	/data/xbin

Hope that helps. I don't use A2SD (I'm still using the included microSD at the moment)

donate.png
I'm pleased to present version 2 of my MoDaCo Custom Hero ROM! No 'wipe' is required for anyone coming from MCR 1.2 onwards, or the stock 2.73.x updates.

MCR now includes a MoDaCo Custom Kernel, MCK, for additional features.

MCR now optionally includes Wavesecure in ROM, allowing you to lock / locate / wipe your device remotely in the event of loss and be notified if the SIM is changed. The application cannot be uninstalled by a thief and we are actively working with Wavesecure to ensure that in a forthcoming release, your settings will survive a hard reset!

Paul MCR 2.9 coool is there any thing i should be aware of before updating....