What are the benefits of switching to custom roms?

Guest KamGrewal

Guest KamGrewal

Dear Omnians!!

I have been dwelling on the idea of upgrading from WM6.1 to WM6.5 for quite some time...

however before i do i wanted to know what the benefits are exactly?

and also if i did i would want a stable ultra lite version, which would be the best to go for?

and, ideally i was hoping to get a theme or something which could replicte wm6.5 using my wm6.1, is there such a thing?

sorry about all the questions and thanks a million in advance!!

Guest meabigbaldguy

The benefits...

- If your phone is a branded slave, then you give it freedom.

- Every custom has a variety of very useful apps that aren't otherwise included in a stock ROM.

Disavantage...

- You will void your warranty the moment you change to a custom ROM.

There are many custom ROMs out there. Namely ROMs from Shokka, Ryzry, Khuanchi, and Sector are all very brilliant, very custom, and very stable. There's also a ROM from a guy out there who calls himself either Taril or Romovic, and his ROM is also good, though it's rather close to a stock ROM.

My advice is to check over this forum on all of the afforementioned names, and then read their respective posts. You'll get all the info you need from there on.

Guest vass_k
..what the benefits are exactly?

As far as I know,

1. Longer life of the battery

2. Freeing of memory (do u use all the progs installed into Original Samsung ROM version? U can put all the progs into MyStorage instead of Programs)

2=> 3. more stable and quicker ROM

4. New drivers and features mounted into custom ROM (Pako777 camera mod, 1% battery usage indicator, Sector mod of SRS WOW and dozens more) - see custom ROM threads here. Some of them can't be even installed by cabs, some can, but will reduce not so big free memory in original ROM.

As for me, it's enough.

the risks were said in previous post (plus one more - you can 'brick' your Omnia - and nobody knows, why :D)

Edited by vass_k

Guest KamGrewal

I have an unbranded Omnia, is it still worth doing?

Extra battery would be worth it, what is the best rom for me... use coreplayer regularly as my omnia is my music player to and from work...i take photos all the time, videos rarely...need a long battery...use wifi to check windows live...rarely use Internet explorer though...i have SRS and its fantastic!! if i could have a rom with the new 6.5 feel, extends my battery, improves my music player experience and the camera will still be functional, this would be BRILL

dude, just do it! :D

if u can get over the chance of bricking it and the fact that u void your warranty, do it!

i did it and it's totally worth it!

plus you can always go back to the original ROM

hey remember, just cos I'm trying to convince you does not mean i take any responsibility over your actions ;)

take the leap :angry: !!

As far as I know,

1. Longer life of the battery

2. Freeing of memory (do u use all the progs installed into Original Samsung ROM version? U can put all the progs into MyStorage instead of Programs)

2=> 3. more stable and quicker ROM

4. New drivers and features mounted into custom ROM (Pako777 camera mod, 1% battery usage indicator, Sector mod of SRS WOW and dozens more) - see custom ROM threads here. Some of them can't be even installed by cabs, some can, but will reduce not so big free memory in original ROM.

As for me, it's enough.

the risks were said in previous post (plus one more - you can 'brick' your Omnia - and nobody knows, why :D )

1. Longer life of the battery - not agree , the last 6.1 DXIA5 was better

2. Freeing of memory - agree , that is the main advantage

3. More stable - not agree , more bugs and less stable

4. New drivers and features - some yes some not , for example the 1% battery makes me crazy

But if you are a little bored with your mobile and want change and some

action too ( bricked or not ) then do upgrade

Edited by vlodek

Guest Pille69
1. Longer life of the battery - not agree , the last 6.1 DXIA5 was better

2. Freeing of memory - agree , that is the main advantage

3. More stable - not agree , more bugs and less stable

4. New drivers and features - some yes some not , for example the 1% battery makes me crazy

But if you are a little bored with your mobile and want change and some

action too ( bricked or not ) then do upgrade

i absolutely agree

i used 8 month custom roms. i dont want to talk them bad, please dont get it wrong but the original is fast like hell compared to customer rom. let me tell you i was forced to install the original rom because of service for my phone. after i get it back i saw the display was replaced - and its now hell sensitive - and the battery was replaced. i have over 3000 sms stored on my phone and my outlook with round about 500 mails - stored on the memory card - and if i opened a messages it took up to 5 seconds. believe me - i tried a lot of different customer roms, from different guys, and i like all add ons, but it drive me crazy if i have to wait. on my phone is. after the repair, still 6.1 original rom installed and the messages windows open instantly. i will wait till the 6.5 original is out then i give it a shoot. 

alone the argument with the more space on your mobile i cant argue but by 16 gb it shouldnt matter, you dont think so