Back up SMS before upgrade?

Guest JamesKing

Guest JamesKing

I appear to be able to extract the SMS database from my phone, but don't really know where to restore it to, or how to do so!

Can anyone help with this?

Or recommend another was of backing up my SMS before I wipe and re-install. Pretty much everything else on my phone is with Google "on line" so it's only SMS that I need to get sorted before I can wipe freely with no worries :D

every time i try to purchase sprite backup i keep on getting a server error after entering my CC details...both on wifi, and mobile network. any other methods of purchasing your app>

Try "Backup for root users", if you have a rooted phone that is. It's free.

nouse for Hero, it can not write any data to the sd card, of coure i have root right

waitting for new software

Guest Rich Cranney
nouse for Hero, it can not write any data to the sd card, of coure i have root right

waitting for new software

Try myBackup / myBackup Pro, worked fine for me

• 2 weeks later...
Or recommend another was of backing up my SMS before I wipe and re-install. Pretty much everything else on my phone is with Google "on line" so it's only SMS that I need to get sorted before I can wipe freely with no worries

One issue with the new ROM is that the SMS database format appears to have changed. This means that you may get crashes in the SMS application if you restore your original backed up SMS messages. Unless you really need them, it may be easier not to restore your SMS messages.

If you still want to have the messages available then you could use one of the applications that backup your SMS messages to Gmail. You would then have all your SMS messages available as emails.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest powellk31
Hi James,

Shameless plug

Search for Sprite Backup on the android marketplace,

We can backup and restore your SMS and MMS,

Julian

Hi, I have moved from a windows mobile phone to android, and I would like to take all SMS messages with me. I know I can us sprite to backup on windows mobile. But is there any way I can restore into the working SMS within my beloved Android.

Ta...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Julian_Rayner

Hi James,

There is a free (at the moment) utility called Sprite Migrate (have a look on the Spritesoftware.com) site here

http://www.spritesoftware.com/products/mig...w-does-it-work-

It migrates from Winmo, Symbian, Blackberry (and J2ME on the way) to Android. You can even plug both phones into a pc and do it all on the fly with a few clicks.

It is in beta, but we expect the restore functionailty will move directly in to Sprite Backup also,

For example, we have rolled migration restore already in to Android Backup, last month.

Julian

Hi James,

There is a free (at the moment) utility called Sprite Migrate (have a look on the Spritesoftware.com) site here

It migrates from Winmo, Symbian, Blackberry (and J2ME on the way) to Android. You can even plug both phones into a pc and do it all on the fly with a few clicks.

It is in beta, but we expect the restore functionailty will move directly in to Sprite Backup also,

For example, we have rolled migration restore already in to Android Backup, last month.

Julian

Hi Julian - will Sprite Backup for Android restore the SMS/MMSes in the correct database format for the new version of the firmware?

Guest Julian_Rayner

Hi Aero,

Good question.

Yes, we restore independent of the actual table underlying structures, using content provider level.

Our QA team have tested migration from G1 to Hero, 1.5 to 1.6 and Motorola and Samsung.

Julian

Hi James,

Julian

I tried to this the other day, but it failed? :) I used the provided program on my winmo phone and it appeared to work ok. moved the file to my pc and ran sprite migrate, but this failed???? I can't find a work around for this problem. I would love to get all my data on to my new hero.

Guest Julian_Rayner

Hi Fatal,

Yes, we have had 10 or so people come through with issues over last couple of weeks with Migrate Beta,

There is a build available tomorrow, that should fix your problem,

Many thanks

Julian

Update: we are a day behind, update going up today. We got delayed with an Android Backup release, yesterday.

Edited by Julian_Rayner

Hi Fatal,

Yes, we have had 10 or so people come through with issues over last couple of weeks with Migrate Beta,

There is a build available tomorrow, that should fix your problem,

Many thanks

Julian

Update: we are a day behind, update going up today. We got delayed with an Android Backup release, yesterday.

ok got it to work, I have a omnia which was upgraded to winmo 6.5, I downgraded to winmo 6.1 and retried the sprite migrate process and I was able to get my messages on my Hero, so I am now a happy camper :)