Is HTC preparing to deploy the new Hero software (version 2) OTA?

Guest PaulOBrien

As the title suggests, Is HTC preparing to deploy the new Hero software (version 2) OTA?

If the screenshots below snapped exclusively for MoDaCo are anything to go by, then it looks to be a resounding yes! So much for those fears of non-Google experience devices being update crippled eh...? :D

The update is already shaping up to be oh-so-sweet judging by the incredible speed of the leaked ROM, the potential ease of deployment just takes it to another level right?

P

update1.jpgupdate4.jpgupdate5.jpg

Guest Chris Jenx

Awesome... Well it cant be far away.. I heard rumours end of the week, but I'm not sure how accurate they were. I'm assuming your going to do another sweet modded version of the next version :D

Chris

Guest GuyAdams

It's quite amusing that I'm excited by an automatic update, mostly because I have never had a mobile device do it before in the 8 years of owning a Windows Mobile based device!

Also, fingers crossed some of the other issues I have will be resolved too.

So who actually releases the update, HTC?

Guest Chris Jenx
So who actually releases the update, HTC?

Well from what I gathered from an Orange Tech is that They tell HTC what they want in there version and HTC modify the ROM accordingly.

How true that is I don't know, but I can't see carriers modifying firmware them self's can you? So I'm assuming the update would come definitely come from HTC if your on an unlocked phone... as for carriers I don't know.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Guest GuyAdams
Well from what I gathered from an Orange Tech is that They tell HTC what they want in there version and HTC modify the ROM accordingly.

How true that is I don't know, but I can't see carriers modifying firmware them self's can you? So I'm assuming the update would come definitely come from HTC if your on an unlocked phone... as for carriers I don't know.

That would kind of make sense and I believe is how the G1 updates worked on T-Mobile in the US.

I have a unlocked HTC Hero so hopefully its all up to HTC! Roll on the update, although Paul has tempted me into his 1.4 custom ROM for the mean time :D

Guest Chris Jenx
That would kind of make sense and I believe is how the G1 updates worked on T-Mobile in the US.

I have a unlocked HTC Hero so hopefully its all up to HTC! Roll on the update, although Paul has tempted me into his 1.4 custom ROM for the mean time :D

I've been using Pauls 1.4 and tis amazingly fast, albeit a few issues but I'm sure they'll be fixed with the coming builds. If you don't mind a few bugs then have a play with 1.4 you can always make a back up and drop back to your original version.

Guest GuyAdams
I've been using Pauls 1.4 and tis amazingly fast, albeit a few issues but I'm sure they'll be fixed with the coming builds.

What sort of issues have you experienced?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

OK so does this mean say a Tmobile phone will get an OTA update direct from HTC. I hope so as with any other network Windows updates have been few and far between - this way would ensure we all stay upto date no matter the network..... thats what I would call progress if correct.

Terran

Guest Chris Jenx
What sort of issues have you experienced?

The only noticeable one is that Audio Over blue tooth doesn't seem to work. Street View doesn't seem to work either but that could be more of a Google Maps Issue not the rom.

Apart from that it is very much noticeably faster.

@ccsnet: Hopefully that would be the case, but I guess we wont know intill they release it.

Also I hope they keep developing Rosie... as I'm presuming they want to use the UI on there other devices.

Guest billythesofakid
The only noticeable one is that Audio Over blue tooth doesn't seem to work. Street View doesn't seem to work either but that could be more of a Google Maps Issue not the rom.

Apart from that it is very much noticeably faster.

@ccsnet: Hopefully that would be the case, but I guess we wont know intill they release it.

Also I hope they keep developing Rosie... as I'm presuming they want to use the UI on there other devices.

Yeah i have noticed the audio over bluetooth problem as well, hope it gets fixed in the official update.