Should I update the phone part? If so, how?

Guest Orpheous

Guest Orpheous

Hi all,

I've been reading through this site since I got my Omnia i900, around 10 months ago.

I'm in Australia, and unfortunately (AFAIK), Samsung doesn't provide Australian firmware updates for end users to download.

My phone's version is:

PDA: i900DFHL1/DFHL1

Phone: i900XXHL1

I understand that the XXHL1 part basically means that the phone part is open market, December 2008 version 1, and therefore a bit outdated.

Is there any advantage to upgrading the phone part? If so, how do I go about upgrading it? I've done quite a bit of searching here and can only find info

on upgrading the ROM (PDA?) part.

I've downloaded the DXD1 phone part (.bin), will this be compatable with all newer ROM's? eg. 23041 etc.? Are there any known issues with DXD1 that I

should know about, or is there something better or newer out there?

Also, does sektor's guide to upgrading your ROM also upgrade the phone part?

Sorry for all the questions, as you can see I'm still trying to get my head around this, and would like to make sure I don't brick my phone!

Guest Orpheous

I bit the bullet yesterday and downloaded the official Singapore firmware from

http://www.samsungmobile.com/support/omnia/sg/sub02_xp.jsp

It updated my phone to DXIA5 and the ROM to DZIA5 without any problems.

I noticed that there are a few extra features with the new firmware, most of which I probably won't use

like online widgets, connected home and google maps. So I'm now on the lookout for a lite ROM that I can add

extra programs to.

My previous software (DFHL1/XXHL1) with SPB Mobile Shell v2 ran with around 56mb of available memory, this new

firmware with SPBMSv3 only has around 37mb, but still somehow seems more responsive.