FIX: Peep on Hero with Vodafone

Guest PaulOBrien

As you'll know if you fit this criteria... it doesn't work!

Well, look what I did... :)

To get it working on your device IF YOU HAVE ROOT:

• Run Peep and set up your account first! Observe the non-synciness. :)
  • Download and extract this zip
  • Open a command prompt in the directory you have just extracted
  • Enter the following commands line by line (change adb to ./adb if using a Mac)
    adb remount
    adb push sqlite3 /system/xbin
    adb shell chmod 4755 /system/xbin/sqlite3
    adb shell sqlite3 /data/data/com.htc.htctwitter/databases/htcchirp.db "update accounts set enablessl = 1;"
    adb shell reboot[/code]
    • [b]Boogie![/b]! :) [/list]To get it working on your device [b]IF YOU [color=red]DO NOT[/color] HAVE ROOT[/b] (or aren't sure): [list]
    • Run Peep and set up your account first! Observe the non-synciness. :)
    • Download and extract this zip
    • Open a command prompt in the directory you have just extracted
    • Enter the following commands line by line (change adb to ./adb if using a Mac)
    [code]adb push sqlite3 /data
    adb shell chmod 4755 /data/sqlite3
    adb shell /data/sqlite3 /data/data/com.htc.htctwitter/databases/htcchirp.db "update accounts set enablessl = 1;"
    adb shell reboot

[*]Boogie!! ;)

Enjoy!

P

peepvodafone.png

Guest tone-fu

Everything went through okay, the device rebooted fine but throws up the 'Connection Error' when trying to add a widget to one of the home scenes. Can't even get in to set it up. Same goes for when trying to start the app through the app menu.

Edited by tone-fu

You can undo what you did in the instructions by running 'adb shell sqlite3 /data/data/com.htc.htctwitter/databases/htcchirp.db "update accounts set enablessl = 0;"' :)

P

Guest tone-fu

Cheers mate. I hadn't bothered setting Peep up after all the problems I've had with it, I'll give it a try again..

EDIT

Worked like a charm mate. Tip-top.

Edited by tone-fu

Newb here and curious as to how this works exactly..

I am on a mac (ver 10.6 Snow Leopard), do I need to have a custom ROM loaded onto my her for this to work?

I have downloaded the zip file, and do not know what to do from here. Do I just drag and drop the folder into terminal? Have tried that but then I do not understand how to enter multiple lines of code. (as terminal only allows one line at a time.)

Any newb guidance would be greatly appreciated.

It will work on the stock rom.

On your mac.. unzip the directory then open a terminal in that directory (e.g if it unzips to Downloads/VodaPeep then open a Terminal and type 'cd ~/Downloads/VodaPeep'.

In Terminal, enter the commands below line by line...

chmod +x adb
./adb remount
./adb push sqlite3 /system/xbin
./adb shell chmod 4755 /system/xbin/sqlite3
./adb shell sqlite3 /data/data/com.htc.htctwitter/databases/htcchirp.db "update accounts set enablessl = 1;"
./adb shell reboot[/code]

Job done! :)

P

In Terminal, enter the commands below line by line...

chmod +x adb

./adb remount

EDIT: I am going to try this under the 32 bit OS kernel, I was using the 64 bit OS kernel while trying this, maybe that could be a contributing factor

EDIT 2: Tried under 32 bit kernel and again same problem, as soon as I type the "./adb remount" command it unmounts the sd card I get an improperly unmounted device warning from OS, then terminal reports * daemon started successfully * error: device not found

As soon as i typed ./adb remount it said something about a daemon i believe then error device not connected.

So i unmounted the hero, remounted it, and im still getting the device not connected error...any trouble shooting ideas? Or how do i start from scratch with these terminal commands? A restart maybe?

P.S. Thanks for the quick reply!

Edited by 3djon

I hate to be flooding this post with my personal experience with this (would you rather communicate via MSN, AIM, or skype?) So I turned hero off and back on, enabled USB debugging. Mounted Hero to mac, then went through the terminal commands again, got the same error of improper disk ejct after the "./adb remount" command. Then terminal reported back with"

* daemon not running. starting it now *

* daemon started successfully *

remount failed: Operation not permitted

I decided to continue with the "./adb push sqlite3 /system/xbin" command and terminal reported with:

failed to copy 'sqlite3' to '/system/xbin': Read-only file system

My permissions for the vodapeep folder are set to Read&Right for me (admin of computer) so I am assuming the read only file system would be equated to the SD card not properly remounting?

Firstly, who said anything about mounting the Hero to Mac? :)

Aaaah, wait, this won't work on a stock device that way. *slaps self about head*

Try this!

chmod +x adb
./adb push sqlite3 /data
./adb shell chmod 4755 /data/sqlite3
./adb shell /data/sqlite3 /data/data/com.htc.htctwitter/databases/htcchirp.db "update accounts set enablessl = 1;"
./adb shell reboot[/code]

Silly me!

P

Firstly, who said anything about mounting the Hero to Mac? :)

chmod +x adb

./adb push sqlite3 /data

K, well i believe progress is being made as I got a different error message this time around, here were my steps.

Did not mount the SD card from hero to mac, followed new commands as posted, one command "./adb push sqlite3 /data" gets entered in Terminal; Terminal responds with:

failed to copy 'sqlite3' to '/data/sqlite3': Permission denied

So, want me to give this a try in windows? I have a healthy Win 7 RC bootcamp partition on the drive.

Again, Paul, I appreciate the effort being put forth in assisting me with this :-)

Guest cdmackay

If it's just the SSL enablement that makes it work (using a differentport?) then perhaps using Twidroid instead (or similar) and telling it to use only SSL, would also work, and be slightly easier?

thanks though...

Hmm, you should have permission to /data on an unrooted device I thought!

P

Hmm, well I can browse my /data folder through astro, but as for as permissions I have no clue how to check that. I guess this isn't possible on a stock (unlocked) device...

adb push sqlite3 /data

Tried this in windows 7:

Set device to USB debug mode, attached to laptop, windows started installing drivers for the device...checked device manager afterwords and apparently ADB cannot be installed for the device since no driver was found.

I carried on anyway, once inputing the above command in a cmd prompt it returned that the daemon is running, then error device not found..

So I have tested this now on OS X (10.6) and Windows 7 Build 7100 and I cannot seem to get it functioning.

Yes, I did not mount the device on windows and my device is stock.

EDIT: I am going to smack myself in the face, am i suppose to be booting the hero while holding the power and back button then plug into USB? Then selecting fastboot?

Edited by 3djon

Guest zippyioa

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for working on this one Paul.

I have a stock ROM on a white SIM free, unlocked Hero, but I haven't rooted it yet.

After following the instructions (including setting up Peep first) Twitter tries to sync and I no longer get the usual connection message.....

I do however get a message saying "unable to update tweet, please try again later". No new tweets appear on my phones Twitter widget, but my new tweet is displayed when I refresh twitter.com on my PC. It appears that my phone can now send new tweets, but can't receive anything!

If I launch the Peep app I get a different message "Unknown response from server"

Anyone got any ideas??

Cheers

Zippyioa

Edited by zippyioa

@Zippyioa

Mind walking me through the steps you used to push the files to your device? I cant even get past the first line of code on either Win 7 or OS X 10.6 without getting a error message.

I'm on an white unlocked sim free hero myself.