Ongoing problem with contact photo's

Guest phillevy

Guest phillevy

I still have a problem I can't seem to solve - after restoring my contacts they are all showing correctly in "people" and any linked photos (album or facebook) are correct. However if I add any of them to favourites, although the photos display fine in the favourites tab of the people app, they won't show at all in the home screen widget (I just get a default silhouette). Also if I dial or receive a call from any contact with a photo it also doesn't display ( I just get name below a blank space).

To make things worse sometimes if I create a new contact, the photo I link to it appears in the widget wrongly linked to a different person - however if you view them in the people app the correct photo then displays!

I've tried deleting all my contacts and putting some new ones in (both google and phone) but the problem still occurs. This never happened before I rooted/changed ROM so is either related to that or something has got corrupted when I restored the contacts the first time.

I'd really appreciate someone's help with this as with Paul's latest ROM everything else is just perfect!

Guest markiemrboo

Ahh. I am having a similar problem! Did you wipe before updating? (Assuming from 1.5.1 or lower to 2.0?). I'm considering learning how to back up my SMS and contacts and trying a clean wipe / install to see if that fixes it. Though it may have happened on 1.5.1, which I did from a wipe.... I can't remember :)

Guest phillevy
Ahh. I am having a similar problem! Did you wipe before updating? (Assuming from 1.5.1 or lower to 2.0?). I'm considering learning how to back up my SMS and contacts and trying a clean wipe / install to see if that fixes it. Though it may have happened on 1.5.1, which I did from a wipe.... I can't remember :)

Finally someone with the same problem! I didn't wipe from 1.5.1 to 2.0 but I did have this problem with 1.5.1 also ,which was installed following a wipe - I was hoping that 2.0 would fix it but nobody else seems to have noticed this problem. :) . If you wipe and it fixes it I would be interested to know.

Edited by phillevy

Guest markiemrboo
Finally someone with the same problem! I didn't wipe from 1.5.1 to 2.0 but I did have this problem with 1.5.1 also ,which was installed following a wipe - I was hoping that 2.0 would fix it but nobody else seems to have noticed this problem. :) . If you wipe and it fixes it I would be interested to know.

You've got the same upgrade path as me then. Mine was stock -> wipe -> 1.5.1 -> 2.0. I'm surprised no one else has noticed the problem. If / when I wipe I will get back here for sure. In the mean time.... if anyone else has the problem, do post. Especially if you have a solution too heh :)

Guest phillevy
You've got the same upgrade path as me then. Mine was stock -> wipe -> 1.5.1 -> 2.0. I'm surprised no one else has noticed the problem. If / when I wipe I will get back here for sure. In the mean time.... if anyone else has the problem, do post. Especially if you have a solution too heh :)

I'm also surprised nobody else has reported this - I have posted this before and also on the Phandroid forums without a response :)

Guest phillevy
I'm also surprised nobody else has reported this - I have posted this before and also on the Phandroid forums without a response :)

Problem is worse than I thought - I just got a call from someone and a photo came up of a completely different contact. There was no photo ever assigned to the person calling. I am thinking more and more that this is a legacy bug from 1.5.1 and I need to wipe and reinstall 2.0. Such a pain to reconfigure everything again though.

Guest markiemrboo

Ah yeah, I suppose it could be a bug from 1.5.1. I'm going to try a wipe today. Just need to figure out how to back up SMS messages first. And eat. And shower lol I think all of our apps should remain as they are on the SD card? May write down a list of what I have installed just in case though. Hm :)

Will report back in a few hours hopefully!

Guest phillevy
Ah yeah, I suppose it could be a bug from 1.5.1. I'm going to try a wipe today. Just need to figure out how to back up SMS messages first. And eat. And shower lol I think all of our apps should remain as they are on the SD card? May write down a list of what I have installed just in case though. Hm :)

Will report back in a few hours hopefully!

I've just written down a list of my apps also, but I'll wait for you to go first (I'm polite like that)!

Guest markiemrboo

Ok, added all my contacts back and reassigned pictures, added favourites back and then added the HTC people widget. Correct photos are now showing. So it's looking promising so far...

Will attempt restore of SMS and see if handcent is behaving. Then I will fiddle about and jumble up photo's manually to see if everything updates correctly. I will then remove all photo's to see if everything removes them correctly, and add some back to see if they can be readded correctly :)

It looks like all my apps were restored automagically too! :-O

edit - photo's in Handcent also seem to be ok.

edit - Removed, jumbled, re-added contact photos... all seems to be fine in Handcent, People, People Widget, Messages Widget, Messages, Phone and Handcent now :-) Time to set everything up how I like it again!

Edited by markiemrboo

Guest phillevy
Ok, added all my contacts back and reassigned pictures, added favourites back and then added the HTC people widget. Correct photos are now showing. So it's looking promising so far...

Will attempt restore of SMS and see if handcent is behaving. Then I will fiddle about and jumble up photo's manually to see if everything updates correctly. I will then remove all photo's to see if everything removes them correctly, and add some back to see if they can be readded correctly :)

It looks like all my apps were restored automagically too! :-O

edit - photo's in Handcent also seem to be ok.

edit - Removed, jumbled, re-added contact photos... all seems to be fine in Handcent, People, People Widget, Messages Widget, Messages, Phone and Handcent now :-) Time to set everything up how I like it again!

Great news - will go for it after dinner - can you tell me - how did you restore your contacts?Also how long did boot-up take?

Edited by phillevy

Guest markiemrboo

Just been playing and noticed that the predictive bubbles with the HTC keyboard no longer seem to display loads of foreign funny words with accents above characters and stuff, which is also great! It makes typing a heck of a lot easier. So far it all seems great.

I just used the HTC sync software for my contacts to Windows address book. It doesn't keep the photos or favourites or anything, but it worked well enough for me. I figure it's probably best to have to re-add photos and set up groups / favourites anyway. Maybe it was the contacts database that had changed slightly or something and this is why it was playing up before, and starting from fresh sorted it?

The first boot after the wipe and flash takes a bit longer than a usual boot up. Probably about 4 minutes or something from the first reboot after the flash...

Guest phillevy
Just been playing and noticed that the predictive bubbles with the HTC keyboard no longer seem to display loads of foreign funny words with accents above characters and stuff, which is also great! It makes typing a heck of a lot easier. So far it all seems great.

I just used the HTC sync software for my contacts to Windows address book. It doesn't keep the photos or favourites or anything, but it worked well enough for me. I figure it's probably best to have to re-add photos and set up groups / favourites anyway. Maybe it was the contacts database that had changed slightly or something and this is why it was playing up before, and starting from fresh sorted it?

The first boot after the wipe and flash takes a bit longer than a usual boot up. Probably about 4 minutes or something from the first reboot after the flash...

Update - wiped, reinstalled and PROBLEM GONE! Have had to spend quite a bit of time reinstalling programs that wont run - small price to pay really :)

Guest markiemrboo
Update - wiped, reinstalled and PROBLEM GONE! Have had to spend quite a bit of time reinstalling programs that wont run - small price to pay really :)

Good to hear that it worked for you as well :-)