Album thumbnails not created

Guest Nuwanda

Guest sixpackbud
Quote from Vince - XDA Forums....

I found this solution to the Album problem, I can't remember where, I think it was a solution to a different problem but I thought I'd try it.

MENU > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications (Now theres a big delay - 10 seconds or more whilst it reads in info on ALL apps)

Select Albums (obviously), then select Clear data and Clear cache.

Next time you run Albums, it will be slow as it rebuilds its thumbnails, then subsequent runs should be quick again.

Well this worked for me, standard Orange ROM (no update yet - grrr Orange), I have upgraded my 2Gig card for a new Transcend 8gig class 6 card.

Vince

I don't have my 8GB card with me to try this, so can anyone else having the problem give this a go?

Cheers!

DOES NOT work. Was probaply one of the first things I tried when started to figure this out a week ago.

Belive me, I have tried all combination with three different cards I can think of in regards of different roms, wipe, formating, clear cache, clear data, delete/copy thumbnails, delete/copy pictures etc etc etc

Only my original card works OK.

I have also thought about the speed diffrence in writing/reading. In my measurements there is no big difference in writing but there is a significant diff. in reading. Can it be so that the pictures are read so quick so it disturbes the way of creating the thumnails. Does not seems reasonable but it is the only thing that differ.

Guest stripealipe

Yep, confirmed not working here either. TBH, i prob did try this but forgot. I've tried so many things it ain't funny anymore...

With two different cards at different speeds here. The only thing being that they both 8GB.

Bah, this is painful....

Guest stripealipe
Formatted FAT32 in RA-Hero recovery then Formatted FAT32 in windows, and it worked thumbnails are created.

Not using apps2sd atm.

I've just tried this and still the same happens for me, no thumbnails are being created, only the .thumbnail directory.

I have sent another mail to HTC in the hope that someone in the know there may be able to throw some light on this annoying problem....

Guest stripealipe
i did reflash the rom after the format so a2sd or anything wasnt allowed to run at all before.

Ok, well it's worth a go. Did your Hero have the thumbnail problem to begin with though? I take it it did..!

Guest stripealipe
had the thumbnail problem with 2.2c and apss2sd.

formatted card, wiped, reflashed 2.2c and it worked.

Don't have my card reader here, so tried wiping, applying the 2.3 ROM, and then tried formatting using RA-Recovery into 3 partitions.

Boot the phone up, and find out it didn't format the card. My update ROM and Recovery ROM still exist on the FAT32 partition.

Tried it again formatting using FAT32 and 3 partition options. If you then go to the Apply sdcard option, the ROM is still there and the card has *not* been formatted.

Another problem?! ....

Guest stripealipe

Ok, just did this again, but this time i shut the phone down by pulling the battery whilst still in recovery. Then Fastbooted again and formattted the card.

Card *did* get formatted this time.

Format doesn't work properly straight after a flashing a ROM.

Guest stripealipe

OK......

I know this is boring for some, but i finally getting somewhere, kind of, with the album thumbnail issue.

Firstly, i've tried *everything* ok? Everything.... Caches, formats, labels, roms, different cards...

Now, today i tried some final things and one of them was to format my 8GB card with only a 2GB (just under) partition.

Hey presto, thumbnails get created everytime and everything flies along. Delete the .thumbnails folder and it's recreated again, and thumbnails work.

All working as it should do.

I then tried resizing the partition to 8GB, complete with existing pics and thumbnails, and tried this. The existing thumbnails still work and everything flies along, BUT, if i then take more pics or add more pics, no more thumbnails get created.

Basically, my Hero, and some others on this forum, does not want to address and write thumbnails to anything over 2GB in size, regardless of the actual card.

I was quite an early adopter and bought my white Hero almost as soon as it came out, so i'm now wondering if there is an issue with some early models?

Saying that, i know some people that have had the problem have somehow managed to get their Hero to work with their larger card, so i'm not sure what goes on here.

It seems my Hero at least wants, or expects a 2GB or less partition, and if it doesn't get it it won't play ball...

Thoughts...?!

Hi stripealipe,

I've got exactly the same problem, I have stock MicroSD 2GB, MicroSDHC 4GB class 6, MicroSDHC 8GB class 4.

Only stock 2GB can create thumbnail, but the others not.

I have read and tried everything since the beginning of this post... but not success..

Could you please tell me how to make the partition to 2GB ? is the phone able to recognize all partitions? so I'll fix this problem by create 2 partitions as you said. 2GB for store images and 6GB for store files in my 8GB SDHC.

Thanks.

Edited by ShiRaTo

I use a Transcend microSDHC 8 GB class 6 that i previously used on NDSL it is formatted by Panasonic formatter has no problem on this issue.

you guys may want to try that out if it works for u.

Edited by kim8881

I use a Transcend microSDHC 8 GB class 6 that i previously used on NDSL it is formatted by Panasonic formatter has no problem on this issue.

you guys may want to try that out if it works for u.

Hi kim8881,

Thank you for your suggestion, I have download Panasonic formatter and format my MicroSDHC 4GB class 6, but the thumbnails still not created. could you tell me if you do anything more? like root your phone or partition?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest markspark100

I'm having the same problem and noticed there was no Thumbs.db file in the DCIM folder on my new 8GB card, Could it be anything to do with that?

I did copy it over which seemed to have no effect but could that need editing at all?