Come on guys really need help with partitioning MicroSD card... Please!!!!

Guest shadieb

Guest shadieb

Hi guys,

Had my Hero for a bit now and got MCR2.0 running on it, its a white sim free one.

I want to partition my 8GB microSD card to allow apps2sd to work but I can not get my head around this EXT3 partition.

I tried using partition manager, set it up with 7GB Fat32 and a 512mb EXT Linux partition but it failed to create it, I just kept getting a disk IO error. I then formatted using a card reader and the built in Vista formatter which worked but made the card really slow, it went from 9+ MB/s to less than 1MB/s :)

I downloaded a program called SD formatter which worked and I could copy to the card really quickly but the Hero wouldn't recognise the SD card.

I then did a full erase using SD formatter and it is working in the Hero but only writes at about 7MB/s which I can live with but disappointing considering it was quicker.

Anybody got a very simple (laymans) guide on the easiest method to create my EXT3 partition for apps2SD please. I am a total Androind newbie having only ever owned Windows Mobile phones before.

Thanks in advance.

One last thing, why if I choose to format the microSD card using the phone nothing seems to happen, it just flashes on screen that I will lose all my data?

Guest justbabu
Hi guys,

Had my Hero for a bit now and got MCR2.0 running on it, its a white sim free one.

I want to partition my 8GB microSD card to allow apps2sd to work but I can not get my head around this EXT3 partition.

I tried using partition manager, set it up with 7GB Fat32 and a 512mb EXT Linux partition but it failed to create it, I just kept getting a disk IO error. I then formatted using a card reader and the built in Vista formatter which worked but made the card really slow, it went from 9+ MB/s to less than 1MB/s :)

I downloaded a program called SD formatter which worked and I could copy to the card really quickly but the Hero wouldn't recognise the SD card.

I then did a full erase using SD formatter and it is working in the Hero but only writes at about 7MB/s which I can live with but disappointing considering it was quicker.

Anybody got a very simple (laymans) guide on the easiest method to create my EXT3 partition for apps2SD please. I am a total Androind newbie having only ever owned Windows Mobile phones before.

Thanks in advance.

One last thing, why if I choose to format the microSD card using the phone nothing seems to happen, it just flashes on screen that I will lose all my data?

Have a look at this post Here

I used Paragon Partition Manager, near effortless.

It goes something like this: Insert SD card into card reader, Load Paragon, choose "create partition" from the opening screen, select SD card, assign partition size using the slider and choose file structure using the drop down box, click on the big green tick. Reboot windows. Insert SD card into phone.

Edited by Guest

Guest shadieb
I used Paragon Partition Manager, near effortless.

It goes something like this: Insert SD card into card reader, Load Paragon, choose "create partition" from the opening screen, select SD card, assign partition size using the slider and choose file structure using the drop down box, click on the big green tick. Reboot windows. Insert SD card into phone.

Thanks for the help guys. I tried Paragon but it kept giving an IO error. I later found out that the first 4MB of the card had become corrupt? Anyways I manage to get round this using the guide justbabu put the link to. I had found the guide earlier but didn't like the idea of it as I didnt understand the adb stuff. Anyways a couple of hours swatting up and i am all sorted :) I had to map out the first 5MB but everything is working fine now, and apps are definitely going on the SD card.

I have found that partitioning using the adb shell the Fat32 partition is down to 3MB/s when coyping files to it but I spose the fact it now works makes up for the loss of speed.

Cheers again :)

Guest justbabu
Thanks for the help guys. I tried Paragon but it kept giving an IO error. I later found out that the first 4MB of the card had become corrupt? Anyways I manage to get round this using the guide justbabu put the link to. I had found the guide earlier but didn't like the idea of it as I didnt understand the adb stuff. Anyways a couple of hours swatting up and i am all sorted :) I had to map out the first 5MB but everything is working fine now, and apps are definitely going on the SD card.

I have found that partitioning using the adb shell the Fat32 partition is down to 3MB/s when coyping files to it but I spose the fact it now works makes up for the loss of speed.

Cheers again :)

If part of your card is corrupt, should you not get hold of a new one and stop using the current card?

Guest shadieb
If part of your card is corrupt, should you not get hold of a new one and stop using the current card?

I am going to get a 16GB class 6 asap, just trying to find one at the right price.

Luckily the Kingston 8GB I am currently using is only a couple of weeks old and under warranty so will get it replaced and either keep as a spare or give it to the kids? Strange thing is, only Paragon gave the IO errors, using Vista it formatted fine with no issues.

When I ran gparted it said the FAT32 partition started at 4,102MB and ended at 4969 so I removed it and started the new fat32 partition at 5MB and ended at 7457 I think leaving 512MB for the EXT2 partition.

It does seem to work great now which is a bonus while I source a larger card.

Cheers.

Guest Stevie B

People, you don't have to send the card back just because you get data corruption. Corruption is the likely result of not unmounting the sdcard after accessing via windows or the result of your phone crashing perhaps. The first thing that should be tried is a reformat. If the format process fails THEN send it back.

Guest francisbacon

i managed to partition my 8GB SD Card and i guess everything is fine because i checked my App2SD and my 3rd party apps are on the card

However what i dont understand is why my card is showing a total memory of 8169 MB before after formatting and partitioning

accordingly my card is partitioned as follows:

Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0: 8169 mb

Number Start End Size File System

1 32.3 kb 7625 mb 7625 mb Fat 32

2 7625 mb 8137 mb 512 mb ext 3

3 8137 mb 8169 mb 31.9 mb linux-swap(v1)

Anyone experience similar?

Edited by francisbacon