T-Mobile and Orange in UK merger!

Guest tsutton

Guest tsutton
thumb_08-Sep-2009_OraTMob.png
T-Mobile and Orange in UK merger!

In a shock move, T-Mobile and Orange has announced that they are to merge, after some rumors that Vodafone was interested in T-Mobile.

T-Mobile and Orange plan to merge their UK businesses, creating a mobile phone giant with 28.4 million customers.

If completed, a deal between Deutsche Telekom's T-Mobile and Orange owner France Telecom would see a firm with sales of 9.4bn euros (£8.2bn; $13.5bn).

Holding about 37% of the mobile market it would be the UK's largest provider, overtaking Telefonica's O2.

What a big surprise. I had always thought Vodafone was going to take over T-Mobile, but obviously I was wrong. :)

I wonder what will mean for T-Mobile and Orange customers. Will we see cheaper price? Will we get better deals?

They will stay with the same brand for the next 18 months (just like their 18 months contact lol) while they decide what to do about their branding. What branding will they come up with? O-Mobile? T-Orange? T-Mobange?

Discuss!

[Via: BBC News Technology]

Guest Thumper Net

going by the take over of orange nederland by t-mobile you can expect the name t-mobile to be phased out over a 1 year period as its orange uk thats taken over t-mobile , where in holland it was the other way around , orange nl shops ect were within 4 months closed , so it will be simular in the uk , is it good for the customer ? in your case yes in hollands case no as the network here is really bad and the customer service is also voted the worst in holland . you should change the title to orange and t-mobile merger in uk as its orange that will own t-mobile

Sad news for staff and consumers, I can see this as being the end of decent data rates.

Orange data packages are utter rubbish compared to T-Mobile... Though maybe they'll cut the prices of all their data packages? Orange pricing seems to be pretty much the same as it was 5 years ago (for data at least).

Guest DarkWanderer
Orange data packages are utter rubbish compared to T-Mobile... Though maybe they'll cut the prices of all their data packages? Orange pricing seems to be pretty much the same as it was 5 years ago (for data at least).

As I mentioned in the thread on MoDaCo it's more likely that T-mobile customers will have to start paying Orange data prices. Since the merger is going to cost them quite a lot, why should they start making LESS money from thier customers?

Guest Damiantmc

Hey,

Just a quick one directed at Thumper Net, its not a take over it is a joint 50:50 merger so i think you'll find that no one company has taken over the other. This will create a better network for everyone as the coverage will improve as well as it costing far less to run 1 network instead of 2 which will mean savings for consumers. Anyone with a tariff now in theory should be able to keep that tariff even after the merger because when 121 became t-mobile some people still have the old 121 tariffs to this day.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.