Enable GPS when starting Google Maps?

Guest chucky.egg

Guest chucky.egg

In Google Maps for the S60 there's an option to "Use GPS", which then turns on your GPS when it loads.

I can't find a similar setting on the Hero, so by default it opens and shows me a network-based location.

Is there a way to turn the GPS on when Google Maps loads?

And does this same "issue" affect SatNav apps like CoPilot?

Guest Rich Cranney
Aha!

Home > Menu > Settings > Location

Disable "Use Wireless networks"

Enable "Enable GPS Satellites"

Neato

Or you can add the Widget to the desktop next to GoogleMaps shortcut and just press that as and when you need it.

I don't think there's any need to do that since the toggle doesn't actually turn GPS off, it just dictates whether apps which want to use it can turn it on and off. I.E. you can leave it on constantly but if you don't run something that uses it it'll never really get switched on.

Guest Chris Jenx
I don't think there's any need to do that since the toggle doesn't actually turn GPS off, it just dictates whether apps which want to use it can turn it on and off. I.E. you can leave it on constantly but if you don't run something that uses it it'll never really get switched on.

I was going to say that, you can leave GPS on, most of the winmo devices have gps on by default its whether you tell the apps to use it or not. I just tend to leave it on. also if using location services, its actually sometimes less taxing than using location by wireless networks. Although you lock will speed up if using wireless networks as it gives the gps an idea where start looking.

Guest stripealipe
I was going to say that, you can leave GPS on, most of the winmo devices have gps on by default its whether you tell the apps to use it or not. I just tend to leave it on. also if using location services, its actually sometimes less taxing than using location by wireless networks. Although you lock will speed up if using wireless networks as it gives the gps an idea where start looking.

Yes, this is all true. I've never been able to find out if there is a negligible drain on the battery when leaving GPS on all the time though, but definitely it tends to kick in and get used properly only when you use an app that needs it.

Also, there is no need to disable wireless networks, as any app that can use GPS or network location will always try and use the more accurate GPS first if available and enabled.