Official UK Hero Firmware out (but...)

Guest Matchstick

Guest Matchstick

Following on from the Scandinavial release yesterday HTC have released the latest Hero firmware for the UK

http://www.htc.com/uk/SupportViewNews.aspx...amp;news_id=254

But there is a but, you have to enter you serial number to access the file and it won't let you download if you have a T-Mobile branded handset (may or may not be the same for Orange ones).

Could be waiting till next year for T-Mobile to release their version of the firmware...

If I have Paul's custom firmware installed, is there really a point to installing this? It is the exact same build number...?

I'd be interested to see Paul et al's analysis of this release and see if it's actually any different to the firmware they used for their custom firmware. I assume it won't be but you never know, etc.

Guest stripealipe

It's hard to tell if anything has changed as yet. The ROM version released in China seems the same, but it also has an updated People widget, so who knows whether they've still tweaked a few bits 'under the bonnet'?

But yes, this is a generic ROM upgrade, so you may have problems downloading if you have a contract phone from Orange, T-Mobile etc.

I'm sure Paul will probably base his newer rooted ROMs around the latest official release just in case there is underlying modifications to the code.

Anyways, it's all good. I'm glad things are now on a roll in terms of development on the Hero. It's already a new phone for me, and when the Kernel code gets released i'm sure we can look forward to more extreme modified ROMs like Cyanogen is cooking up on the G1 and Magic. :))

I've read a couple of reports about bugs in the new update that are present in both the official 'nordic' rom and in Paul's modaco roms. The only one that concerns me is a problem with the on-screen keyboard 'jumping around' when trying to do a search in landscape mode.

Does anyone know if this official UK rom also contains this bug?

It sounds like a pretty serious bug to me - one which will require another update :\

HTC's twitter feed contains this comment though:

"Rumor stomping time: The Nordic update to Hero is legit, safe, and final. If that is the proper regional update for your phone, dive in!"

Which sounds to me like no bug-fix will be forthcoming...

Guest Zambucco

I'm with T-Mobile Had the same problem, but followed the instructions below and I'm downloading as I type this!

I'm going to give it a go, as my Hero is running like a bag of brown stuff!

If you just put your serial in and then change the last few numbers, you can then download it!

I presume no point downloading!

Guest JamminJP

if only I had moved from Orange I could be playing with a nice shiny iPhone 3gs!

Don't get me wrong the Hero is 200% better than it was, but its still a little frustrating at times, we need more CPU and software is not going to give that!

I'm with T-Mobile Had the same problem, but followed the instructions below and I'm downloading as I type this!

I'm going to give it a go, as my Hero is running like a bag of brown stuff!

Guest charliedanger
i'm on orange and it wont let me download it.

I am with Orange but I bought my phone through Carphone Warehouse and my serial number does work (my phone came unlocked with no orange branding whatsoever). Don't yet have any reason to switch to the official version. As with many others the only issues I have is with the bouncing landscape keyboard in the web browser.