Bluetooth file transfer...any eta??

Guest Mike Beecham

Guest Mike Beecham

I dont suppose anyone would have an idea as to when bluetooth file transfer is going to drop on the Hero yet? It's annoying not to be able to carry out a function that is available on so many phones these days...it just seems incredible that we cant do this at the moment.

I'm used to being able to bluetooth over to my Mac mini, and I'm missing this function badly :)

I dont suppose anyone would have an idea as to when bluetooth file transfer is going to drop on the Hero yet? It's annoying not to be able to carry out a function that is available on so many phones these days...it just seems incredible that we cant do this at the moment.

I'm used to being able to bluetooth over to my Mac mini, and I'm missing this function badly :)

Bletooth File Transfer looks promising but only pairing with a device works, no transfer possible. It throw a :

"Can't start OBEX OPP (Object push Profile) service search.

Reason:

Return value is "false"

"

Guest Mike Beecham
Bletooth File Transfer looks promising but only pairing with a device works, no transfer possible. It throw a :

"Can't start OBEX OPP (Object push Profile) service search.

Reason:

Return value is "false"

"

Yup...doesn't work for me either. I'm still stunned that HTC elected not to include a functionality that is now standard on most phones? I'm still trying to pick my way through that one.

Guest foxmeister
Yup...doesn't work for me either. I'm still stunned that HTC elected not to include a functionality that is now standard on most phones? I'm still trying to pick my way through that one.

It isn't that HTC elected not to include the functionality, it's that the Android OS currently does not support many BT profiles. When the G1 was released, Google decided to only include handsfree profiles for Android, and their reasoning was that they were not happy with the current state of their bluetooth API, and didn't wanted to get locked into supporting it by releasing it in a "finished" product. Jump forward some 11 months, and we've had a reasonable major update of the base OS (Cupcake) but this only added a few more profiles.

Android Bluetooth FAQ

Whilst I'm sure HTC could've coded up their own support, they probably didn't want to fragment the OS by providing an implementation which will end up being incompatible with whatever finished product Google eventually cook up.

Personally, I think it's pretty poor that nearly a year after 1.0, we sill don't have it, but it should be said that the iPhone didn't have Bluetooth file transfer support until iPhone OS 3.1, so Google have probably decided that the market is prepared to wait for it.

Regards,

Dave

Guest mkolonko

did you try aFile from the market? its file transfer over wifi...