Keyboard auto-corrections w/ 2.73.405.5

Guest emotiveicon

Guest emotiveicon

Hello everyone. I'm new. Be gentle!

Last night I updated to the new 2.73.405.5 ROM released from HTC via their website. Since then I've noticed that they've made some adjustments to the keyboard and its auto-correction.

When you type a '.' it automatically puts a space afterwards. Kinda of annoying but I could live with that.

But that's not all...

When it puts in the space it doesn't switch the keyboard to upper case like it used to. So I start typing *tap tap tap* and quickly realise that the first letter of my new sentence hasn't been capitalised. So I delete back to the first letter, delete the first letter (not the space between the first letter and the '.' though), I hit shift and then continue typing.

Then I notice that my first letter still isn't capitalised. When I deleted the first letter the keyboard THEN chooses to shift to the upper case.

It's so utterly counter-intuitive. I know that I shouldn't be such a stickler for grammar at the age of 26 but GODAMMIT it's not right. I can't find any options to turn off this new keyboard function without turning off prediction all together.

Interestingly, it does the auto-space thing with a ',' too. But it doesn't do it for '!' or '?'.

Does anyone know if I'm missing anything, whether I'm the only person with this problem or whether this is something that HTC overlooked with the new ROM. This is now driving me batshit crazy.

Any offers of advice would be really appreciated. Thanks chaps.

Guest surfsmurf

This annoys me too. I'm trying to get used to typing two spaces instead of a period followed by a space. Type two spaces and it inserts a period, a space and presses shift automatically :)

Guest Stevie B

Personally I like the automatic space added, but then I have unlimited texts as part of my package, so I don't worry about cramming as much as poss in to one text :) However, the gripe has to be with the lack of capitalisation after the full-stop!

Guest emotiveicon

Thanks for letting me know about the double-space automatic-fullstop thing. That doesn't seem quite so bad but this is still going to take some getting used to.

Does anyone know if the same keyboard issue is in MCR 2.2? I don't know the first thing about rooting and I was a bit scared to do it but I'm prepared to read up and give it a go if it stops the auto-spacing...

Thanks for letting me know about the double-space automatic-fullstop thing. That doesn't seem quite so bad but this is still going to take some getting used to.

Does anyone know if the same keyboard issue is in MCR 2.2? I don't know the first thing about rooting and I was a bit scared to do it but I'm prepared to read up and give it a go if it stops the auto-spacing...

Same problem exists. Hitting (.) and (,) automatically inserts a space ( ) where it did not used to do so in the past. I'm not too pleased with this new 'feature' and hope that an option comes back to give users the option of turning off the auto-space after (.) and (,)