new 3 wifi dongle type thing!

Guest dunbad

Hi, i see in a 3 store yesterday that they are doing a deal which is advertised as mobile wifi. Basically you carry around this thing the size of a small matchbox, and it apparently gives you access to wifi. On pay n go, its 100 quid up front then 25 quid top up for 7 gb of data. or 15 quid a month for 5gb i believe. You apparently dont need to unlock, and will work on tg01. It gives full wifi whenever the phone gets 3g reception. but even works on 2g, with slower speeds. Sounds good?

Hi, i see in a 3 store yesterday that they are doing a deal which is advertised as mobile wifi. Basically you carry around this thing the size of a small matchbox, and it apparently gives you access to wifi. On pay n go, its 100 quid up front then 25 quid top up for 7 gb of data. or 15 quid a month for 5gb i believe. You apparently dont need to unlock, and will work on tg01. It gives full wifi whenever the phone gets 3g reception. but even works on 2g, with slower speeds. Sounds good?

Just to add, its not a dongle, it doesnt plug in. It apparantly just sits in your pocket or nearby. Does anyone know what the 3g reception is like in central london? Has anyone tried this or is there a drawback. Seems to good to be true?

Guest Neil5459

More details of this interesting device Here

This is a Mobile Internet dongle with both standard USB plus WiFi connnections which means any WiFi device can connect to it. For mobile phone users this means they can keep their normal SIM cards (and contracts) in place while adding the mobile data quota of the 3 device which is on a 1 month rolling contract.

You can get this as a pay as you go also. Instead of a 60 quid up front cost, you pay a hundred quid and i think you get 3gb already loaded up, and can get various top ups, 7gb for 25 quid was one i believe. Ive got the flyer somewhere with the exact details on it. But ive been with three before (maybe 5 years ago) and they were pooh! Would like to know if they have moved on.

Guest Neil5459

I use a 3 PAYG SIM in my Netbook, and the service is good. Central London and the City are well covered, and on my journey back to Cambridge there are only a few dropouts.

Customer Service is still poo though- none of the 'operators' know anything about non-native 3 devices.

You also need to be wary of 3 PAYG where there is no native 3 signal. 3 use Orange to provide GSM cover in the absence of 3G, and this switches over fine on a contract SIM, but I've had a lot of problems where I get no service while 'roaming' on the PAYG SIM. I'd presume the Mobile BB Dongles have a better 'standard of service' though, and 3 were supposed to be fixing the PAYG SIM roaming problem.