o2 MMS problem

Guest Kaka

Seems o2 will not allow full sized mms pictures on Android phones. I seen a thread on XDA-Dev about changing the useragent. They seem to have cracked this on Dream etc. no such luck on the Hero as far as i can see.

Anyone know how to change this?

btw running MoDaCo 2.2 Core

Seems o2 will not allow full sized mms pictures on Android phones. I seen a thread on XDA-Dev about changing the useragent. They seem to have cracked this on Dream etc. no such luck on the Hero as far as i can see.

Anyone know how to change this?

btw running MoDaCo 2.2 Core

i would love for a resolution on the above

any 1 with any idea's or fixes?

Same problem for me too. Hoping the next MoDaCo build has something in there to fix it, maybe it's worth polling the forum to see how many Hero uses are on o2 and if enough people are to make it an important issue?

Guest Scottland

Hi,

I beleive the problem is with O2, not the Hero or ROM. I have this issue on another mobile, and through searching around it seems to be caused by O2 not recognising the handset and setting picture size to a default tiny one.

The only thing I can suggest is to speak to someone techie at O2 and see if they can get the Hero added to their phone DB?

Hi,

I beleive the problem is with O2, not the Hero or ROM. I have this issue on another mobile, and through searching around it seems to be caused by O2 not recognising the handset and setting picture size to a default tiny one.

The only thing I can suggest is to speak to someone techie at O2 and see if they can get the Hero added to their phone DB?

Your correct. The issue is with o2. But people have been able to change the useragent of the MMS client on the Dream builds to mimic other devices like Nokia N95.

This allows proper MMS functionality. I was just hoping that someone here had the ability to do this for the Hero/Modaco builds.

I tried talking with o2. They just gave the usual "Not a supported handset" line. Same response via email.

So anyone wanna take a stab at altering the useragent? lol

Guest rhedgehog

Gotta love O2. They gave me the same answer when i owned an XDA Orbit!

Apparently even their own XDA branded handsets are not supported by them....Is it any wonder i got the hell out as soon as my contract was up. Maybe i just got trough to crap agents, and other people have better experiences, but i have never had a phone on O2 that did not do this (including the XDA abnd also a couple of Ericssons).

Edited by rhedgehog

Im on PAYG with them. Handy using the £15 a month unlimited tariff. (Iphone Web m Wifi bolt-on aswell)

I suppose i could switch or another provider. Anyone suggest a good PAYG tariff?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Baadsha
o2 MMS now working for anyone else? Sent a test today. Seemed to be normal. Maybe they updated the system because they now sell an Android phone?

i think the problem is more when you receive and not when you send.

Just found a fix for this which seems to include Hero.

I dont have mine yet but maybe someone else can download the hero fix and try it?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=542540

Instructions:

For the Hero Mms.apk, I've had to do it a bit different. There's no menu's, I've just decompiled the classes.dex (using JF's superb smali) from the Mms.apk in JACHeroski's 2.7.4 and changed the hardcoded values for the User Agent. I've recompiled three versions, one using the N95 string, another using the BlackBerry 8800 (both in hero_mms.zip) and the final one using a Softbank UA (in Mms_softbank.zip). I'm not running a Hero rom so can't test these, let me know if you try them. You only need one of the APKs from the ZIP! Rename the one you want to Mms.apk, then push it where you need to on your ROM.

If you don't know, this command will tell you where:

adb shell find /system -name Mms.apk

hero_mms.zip

Edited by AlunJ

Guest Baadsha

I dont have mine yet but maybe someone else can download the hero fix and try it?

Instructions:

For the Hero Mms.apk, I've had to do it a bit different. There's no menu's, I've just decompiled the classes.dex (using JF's superb smali) from the Mms.apk in JACHeroski's 2.7.4 and changed the hardcoded values for the User Agent. I've recompiled three versions, one using the N95 string, another using the BlackBerry 8800 (both in hero_mms.zip) and the final one using a Softbank UA (in Mms_softbank.zip). I'm not running a Hero rom so can't test these, let me know if you try them. You only need one of the APKs from the ZIP! Rename the one you want to Mms.apk, then push it where you need to on your ROM.

i have tried this fix before.

does not work.

has any1 else tried?

but this is something maybe the developers or roms can look into.

Instructions:

I have tried that aswell. Keep getting Force Closes. I hope someone can find a solution.

I have tried that aswell. Keep getting Force Closes. I hope someone can find a solution.

ah sorry it couldnt help, I just got my phone today too, ill not bother trying it.

Guest umshamrock

any other suggestions? i have the ROM update for the normal Hero ROM on O2. is the .apk thing you download ok to use with that? The instructions are a bit unclear and confusing and I don't want to brick my phone...

Little update. I asked the developer of Handcent SMS/MMS app if they could do anything.

They got back to me yesterday. They have added support to change useragent in the latest version released yesterday (At my request)

However. This only works on Donut lol. Top marks for the effort of Handcent. Very good of them.

Lets hope we can get a stable donut rom for the hero soon. Or an official HTC release maybe?

We live in hope.

Kaka