Million questions from a newbee

Guest Kaerly

Hi to everyone... I've recently extended my contract with Orange and got TG01 as a an upgrade. Being absolute novice to touchscreen phones in particular and smartphones in general I just cannot use it. Need your help guys even with simple routines

1). How to lock the bloody screen. My friends talk to my bag or pocket more than to me :) . When someone calls (and the phone sort of rings) screen becomes active and something next to "call" button accepts the call. Is there anything like "old keypad lock" function in this phone

2). I've noticed that in some applications like "Media player" or "Contacts" etc there is no "Exit" in the menu. And when you press "X/Ok" it hides the screen with that application but if you go to the task manager it's still there... Ok "Contacts" doesn't take a lot of memory to operate...but media player does. And the only way to close it is to "End task" it. Well.. I always thought that it's only for not responding applications or so but definately not instead of Exit button.

3). Tried to run WINDOWS UPDATE hoping they've fixed something. I had wireless connection to my home broadband at that time and Internet Explorer was working fine but WINDOWS UPDATE said it couldn't connect to the server and took me to connection page... There you can only choose between GPRS, Bluetooth, Cellular line and all that staff. Under Advanced tab your're allowed to make new connection or use a preset one (in my case Orange Internet) but again no way of using WiFi connection. WTF!!! Windows updates are known to be measureg in MBs of traffic I don't want to be billed for.

4). Word Mobile.... Menu.... and THERE IS NO "OPEN". I had WEP key for my WIFI router saved in a txt file. So how I'm supposed to open it....

5). File explorer. How to select lets say first, third and last file from the list. (Windows lets you do this holding CTRL key). And also why on EARTH it tries to run something everytime you tap on any file. Even if I only want to choose a file or folder. And is there any way to get full details on the file (like creation date, extention etc).

I can go on and on with those basic day-to-day routines... Oh and the user guide from toshiba is just 155 pages of nonsense. It looks like Microsoft + Toshiba just ruined all the expectation I had before I got this phone.

All the replies will be much appreciated.

File explored I use the virtual d pad that comes up when you drag upwards over the zoom bar.

To close programs, I think you need more software. Like spb socket plus? To lock the screen I believe it can be done without software if I recall it was under settings? But I use spb mobile shell which is great and I couldn't do without it. I think you may find you'll be looking at new software as when it's set up it's blinding, till then mine was naff.

Spb mobile shell

spb keyboard

resco file explorer

kinoma play

memaid

spb pocket plus

spb wireless monitor

opera mini

I've got all of this software on mine and spb back up on my storage card and it works great. But when mine was standard I couldn't stand it. You can trial this software for free. Try others aswell and see what you like, but mine gets unwell with some software, but now I soft reset once a week and I'm good.

Guest Neil5459
Hi to everyone... I've recently extended my contract with Orange and got TG01 as a an upgrade. Being absolute novice to touchscreen phones in particular and smartphones in general I just cannot use it. Need your help guys even with simple routines

1). How to lock the bloody screen. My friends talk to my bag or pocket more than to me :) . When someone calls (and the phone sort of rings) screen becomes active and something next to "call" button accepts the call. Is there anything like "old keypad lock" function in this phone

Hi Kaerly- welcome to the pain that accompanies any major shift in device type! Part of the strength of Windows Mobile is is huge range of abilities, but that is also a major weakness for new (and old sometimes!) users alike.

Screen Lock: There is no built-in automatic locking, but there is a manual lock accessible from the home screen (as long as you are not using the Orange or Toshiba home screens!); Access this from Start>Settings>Personal Tab>Today then tap the Items list and near the bottom you will see 'Device Lock'. When ticked, this shows on the Today Screen. Tap it to lock, then tap the Unlock (left softkey) then the 'Unlock' button on the screen to unlock. This still allows you to accept or reject an incoming call but the devcie has to be unlocked to access any buttons.

2). I've noticed that in some applications like "Media player" or "Contacts" etc there is no "Exit" in the menu. And when you press "X/Ok" it hides the screen with that application but if you go to the task manager it's still there... Ok "Contacts" doesn't take a lot of memory to operate...but media player does. And the only way to close it is to "End task" it. Well.. I always thought that it's only for not responding applications or so but definately not instead of Exit button.

This is an old bugbear of Windows Mobile. MS made a conscious decision in 2000 to keep open programs open in the background, because of the relativley slow memory speeds in those days, so it was quicker to reopen a recently used program. The OS is supposed to recycle memory as needed and close the least used app when needed. This doesn't always work very well! Recent versions of Media Player have become huge memory hogs as they cache a significant part of the item being played into memory. The only way around this is to use a 3rd party application manager. These range from Spb Pocket Plus (Excellent but costs) to the free WK Task which works well and is fully configurable.

3). Tried to run WINDOWS UPDATE hoping they've fixed something. I had wireless connection to my home broadband at that time and Internet Explorer was working fine but WINDOWS UPDATE said it couldn't connect to the server and took me to connection page... There you can only choose between GPRS, Bluetooth, Cellular line and all that staff. Under Advanced tab your're allowed to make new connection or use a preset one (in my case Orange Internet) but again no way of using WiFi connection. WTF!!! Windows updates are known to be measureg in MBs of traffic I don't want to be billed for.

Windows Update simply doesn't work, and never has done. It is a Microsoft option that the device maker, and mobile operator can elect to purchase/subscribe to. To my knowledge, none in the UK has done so, though there are rumours that with WM6.5 this may change. Previously, Windows Update did connect to a server, but always reported no updates. Recently the server seems to be unavailable resulting in the connection error you are seeing. Don't mess with the connection settings unless you know what you are doing! WiFi will always connect in preference to GSM/3G as long as WiFi is turned on an there is a valid connection to a router/access point.

4). Word Mobile.... Menu.... and THERE IS NO "OPEN". I had WEP key for my WIFI router saved in a txt file. So how I'm supposed to open it....

Word Mobile doesn't need an 'Open' menu. When you run Word Mobile it opens with a list of recognised documents on the whole device- DOC, TXT, RTF etc. If your file is not visible, first go to Menu/Options then make sure the bottom box says 'All known file types'. If that still doesn't work, tap the 'All Folders' header in the top bar, and see if your folder is listed. If not, use Add/Remove to point to it. Incidentally I'd strongly recommend changing your security to WPA rather then WEP if possible. Current mobile devices don't work well with WEP and the security is very poor.

5). File explorer. How to select lets say first, third and last file from the list. (Windows lets you do this holding CTRL key). And also why on EARTH it tries to run something everytime you tap on any file. Even if I only want to choose a file or folder. And is there any way to get full details on the file (like creation date, extention etc).

There's no getting away from it- the inbuilt File Explorer is pretty rubbish. Many of us pay for Resco File Explorer or elect for the free Total Commander.

However, even with the built-in one you can still do multi selects, but need to change the keyboard layout to one that includes a CTRL key. I use a keyboard called TouchPal which does include one of these, but there is also a basic Windows Keyboard built in. With your keyboard open on screen, look for the small arrow to the right of its icon, and tap it. Now select 'Keyboard' and you will get the basic one. This has a CTRL key which is 'sticky' and remains toggled till you tap it again.

Running files by tapping is an old standard, but they haven't thought through the recent trend of omitting a D-Pad from the hardware so it can be impossible to select a file without running it. You can always tap/hold a file name to access the context menu which includes Properties, but for any additional info like extensions etc you need a different file explorer. As Dunbad says, the on-screen 'D-pad' accessed by swiping up on the Zoom Bar works quite well, and can also be converted into a trackpad.

Hope this helps- good luck, and persevere!

Thought I'd add in case you didn't notice I'm not an expert!!!! Just someone who had the same probs as you! Just in case your having difficulty with the d pad, you need to swipe UP and across the silver line. Not left to right. Also on my Screenlock I set mine to come on also if I left it for a minute. You select lock from the same place and you can configure it, but you set a 4 digit passcode. But honestly, you can get some decent free software and I would strongly advise moving away from battling with the ui, file explorer etc. and try to get the best out of the hardware on the phone. There is nothing better than seeing it work well and nothing worse when it's going badly. I feel your pain, but stick with it.

Guest tonykent

The manual shows that Screen Lock is operated by holding down the volume up button on the left.

As to closing programs the right hard key shuts some down but leaves others in the background.

WKTASK is a good utility to shut down programs.

Guest i900french-addict
The manual shows that Screen Lock is operated by holding down the volume up button on the left.

Heyyy, thanks a lot!

I must admit I was too lazy to read the whole manual.

And I'm one of the rare ones to use the toshiba UI (yes yes, I like it!)

So now I can use it and lock my screen!