IM App

Guest GuyAdams

Guest GuyAdams

Right, I'm on a quest to find a decent instant messaging program for my shiny new HTC Hero. I'm a long term Windows Mobile user and have been used to the stability and ease of use that you get with Windows Mobile Messenger. So far the android offerings haven't been good, although I'm yet to try Meebo.

So two questions really;

1) I have the default IM application on the phone but have no way to start it? I can see it in the Manage Applications just don't know how to run it?

2) Can anyone recommend a good instant messenger primarily for MSN but other networks are welcome.

Thanks

Guest Dr Hotdog

1) The default IM app is just for Google Talk, and is called (unsuprisingly) Google Talk. You should see it in the app launcher, isn't it there?

2) I haven't tried many, but Meebo seems to be one of the better multi-protocol IM apps out there. Just give it a go, it's a free app and you can always uninstall it if you find a better one.

Guest GuyAdams
1) The default IM app is just for Google Talk, and is called (unsuprisingly) Google Talk. You should see it in the app launcher, isn't it there?

That would explain it, yes I have a Google Talk icon in the programs list but didn't realise IM in manage applications was the name for it.

I have installed Meebo IM and despite the user reviews, actually seem to be fairing quite well with it. Its not too sensitive to changes in data connection (wifi, hspda, gprs) and is laid out in a simple manner.

Many thanks for your reply.

Actually, the Google Talk .apk is different from the IM.apk. The IM app actually includes support for Yahoo and MSN messenger. For some reason it doesn't show up in the Android (ION) that I'm currently running, however it does show up in some builds. I believe the Vogue-Hero build by Zenulator on XDA is a build that it does appear on. However, when I go to sign into MSN with it, it errors out because it can't access my mobile number from my SIM card. (The vogue is CMDA, thus, no SIM.) I'm real busy right now, but when I get some spare time, I plan on trying to fix that for cdma phones.

Some people at XDA have been working on getting it going on the Dream here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=531795

Oh, by the way, I find that the Hi MSN Beta is pretty good. It's not the prettiest app in the world, but it connects directly to MSN without having to sign up for an eBuddy/Palringo account as well, which I find terribly annoying.