TG01 died- then came alive again !

Guest Neil5459

Guest Neil5459

I was using my TG yesterday afternoon for some work, and eventually turned it off with 50% battery remaining. Drive home (45 minutes) and tried to turn it on again, but NaDa- totally unresponsive.

Tried the power button for 15secs to soft reset- no response, so tried plugging in the charger. The orange light came on, then started going on & off over a 20 second cycle. Tried turning TG on again, then another soft reset attempt, but nothing. Tried the manual Hard Reset (Power/Vol Up/Camera), but that didn't work either :D

Next left the battery charging for 2 hrs with no effect so took it out for 2hrs then tried again- still nothing, so decided to just leave it charging overnight.

Thankfully, this morning it responded to a soft reset and all is as I left it.

I can only assume something drained the battery so far that it didn't even have enough power to reset, even when connected to the mains charger, but I'm surprised the power management didn't kick in to protect it at 10%, and that a 2hr charge failed to work (it usually only takes just over an hour to fully charge).

Maybe the battery is going faulty? Must order one of those Mugen 1350mAh ones :)

I was using my TG yesterday afternoon for some work, and eventually turned it off with 50% battery remaining. Drive home (45 minutes) and tried to turn it on again, but NaDa- totally unresponsive.

Tried the power button for 15secs to soft reset- no response, so tried plugging in the charger. The orange light came on, then started going on & off over a 20 second cycle. Tried turning TG on again, then another soft reset attempt, but nothing. Tried the manual Hard Reset (Power/Vol Up/Camera), but that didn't work either :P

Next left the battery charging for 2 hrs with no effect so took it out for 2hrs then tried again- still nothing, so decided to just leave it charging overnight.

I can only assume something drained the battery so far that it didn't even have enough power to reset, even when connected to the mains charger, but I'm surprised the power management didn't kick in to protect it at 10%, and that a 2hr charge failed to work (it usually only takes just over an hour to fully charge).

Maybe the battery is going faulty? Must order one of those Mugen 1350mAh ones :)

jesus christ, did you say it died and then came alive again??

it sounds almost impossible! :D

Guest Neil5459
undead smatrphones? s***, where's my shotgun when i need it.

Hmm- didn't consider that! Maybe it's a zombie phone now :)

Seriously though, this is still a mystery. WinMo phones should go into a deep sleep if the battery gets down to 10%, turning off all running processes. Connecting to a mains charger should allow a soft reset immediately, and the device can be used connected to mains power.

In this case, that obviously didn't happen and the battery got totally drained- probably causing the flashing charge light. So- it wasn't really dead, just playing, and I was too impatient :D

Guest Neil5459

I've been talking to a colleague who is testing another Snapdragon device, and those testers have seen similar issues to this, and the storage card corruption, so it looks like a power management problem with the chipset may be the root cause.

Guest bbmalver

I've had similar battery issues, except it was with my Ipaq214. In hindsight i must have left the bluetooth running, so when i tried to switch it on the next morning it was as dead as a door brick, totally and thoroughly dead. Got to work and tried to charge it; no luck. The only way i got it back up and running was to replace the battery with a partially charged one, charge up the dead battery in another unit, then plug it back in. Seems some of the blame may be WinMo related!

Edited by bbmalver

Me too but not as bad as yours. I think my battery indicator was lying telling me it was yay full when in reality it was dead as a dead thing. Couldnt turn it on, plugged it in, got amber light but still couldnt power up. tried again several times after 5 mins charge but zilch still. Tried again after half hour charge and straight in first time. But i only had this the once. I assumed that a certain amount of charge was needed to power up, but ive since had no repeats of this even on a flat battery.

I have had a similar problem. As I mentioned elsewhere on the forum, I've had three replacements since getting the TG01 and all of them have had the problem, although I have not had to wait as long before getting the device running again. Usually comes back after about 5 mins charging, showing 0% battery life, despite showing 100% or 80% before dying.

When you say this could be a 'power management problem' with the snapdragon, does this mean it can be fixable with a new ROM, or is the chipset flawed?

Guest Neil5459
I have had a similar problem. As I mentioned elsewhere on the forum, I've had three replacements since getting the TG01 and all of them have had the problem, although I have not had to wait as long before getting the device running again. Usually comes back after about 5 mins charging, showing 0% battery life, despite showing 100% or 80% before dying.

When you say this could be a 'power management problem' with the snapdragon, does this mean it can be fixable with a new ROM, or is the chipset flawed?

You do seem to have been badly affected- as someone else said, maybe a dodgy batch sitting in Orange's storeroom?

There is strong hope that all this can be fixed in firmware. The Snapdragon is pretty much a new concept with its high power and consequent on-chip power management facilities. Another colleague is testing another, later Snapdragon pre-release device and has not seen these issues so we can only hope :)

Tried the power button for 15secs to soft reset- no response, so tried plugging in the charger. The orange light came on, then started going on & off over a 20 second cycle. Tried turning TG on again, then another soft reset attempt, but nothing. Tried the manual Hard Reset (Power/Vol Up/Camera), but that didn't work either :D

This is happening to me know, well, like a 4 or 5 days ago, I went to bed, and leave the TG on the desk, i awake, take it and was off, I thought it was cause of battery, so i plug the Ac charger, but nothing, the red light turn on and off like you said, but really, its death!! I think that the battery is not chargin any way, its conected, but I dont know.. this Phone is having too much inconveniences, all hardware seems its perfect for a Phone, but the OS doesnt use the hardware like it should..

Sorry for my english, im from spain, if you can help me with this, Ill be very gratefull, thanks

Guest Neil5459

Well, the 2 different fixes were:

1) (For me) Leave it on the mains charger overnight, then do a full reset in the morning (press/hold the power button for 15 seconds, or until the green light comes on)

2) (For another user) Plug it into the PC with the USB cable - leave it a while then soft reset.

Try those!

Well, the 2 different fixes were:

1) (For me) Leave it on the mains charger overnight, then do a full reset in the morning (press/hold the power button for 15 seconds, or until the green light comes on)

2) (For another user) Plug it into the PC with the USB cable - leave it a while then soft reset.

Try those!

okay, im will try both, and tomorow tell you how it goes.. Thanks!

Guest xdalover
Still dead... it seems that it wont turn on...do you know something else i could do? thanks

Dear aguea: Before sending your TG01 to Telefonica Post Venta , try one last thing:

1)Leave the device WITHOUT battery four hour minimum,

2) connect to the charger

3) and try again

Good Luck!!

Dear aguea: Before sending your TG01 to Telefonica Post Venta , try one last thing:

1)Leave the device WITHOUT battery four hour minimum,

2) connect to the charger

3) and try again

Good Luck!!

okay it have sense, it may work, i 'll try and tell you, thanks very much all for your help

okay it have sense, it may work, i 'll try and tell you, thanks very much all for your help

Still death... I dont understand what's going on with toshiba and this mobile

Thanks everyone for ur help

Guest cruxer

I've had the same problem. Left it on the desk yesterday, ten minutes ago it was dead.

It didn't want to switch back on after soft reset, so I thought last hope is hard reset, but when it showed me the menu to do hard reset I chose <NO> and tried to start it again. It worked.

It took me about 5 minutes to solve the problem. I did it all while it was plugged to the charger, I thought it's flat battery.

So maybe this will work for you too.

The battery is at 80% I hope it's just the software and they'll fix it.