I summon the gods!! blazingwolf, wozzer, bgill!!!

Guest veritas-truth

Guest veritas-truth

Any help from anyone is appreciated.

I've been reading these forums for a while now (since about late June) and I finally got my Omnia i910 last Monday; I had a few things to ask about.

I understand how to flash a new ROM and such and I know how to back up contacts, but I want to know how/ what program is needed to back up the actual OS/ ROM. Also I haven't had the opportunity to flash to any of the custom roms you guys have cooked up, but I was wondering what I need to make my own custom ROM so I can get rid of the verizon and samsung stuff I don't want and keep what I like (like Samsung today); do you guys just use a registry editor like PHM or CeRegEditor? Also, where can I get a copy of WM 6.5?

On the side of a couple problems I've had already: My Omnia came with the CF03 Rom, but when I use Google Maps or something, I haven't had any luck with GPS; also there isn't an external GPS option under the settings > system menu like the WM help menu says there should be.

And I've downloaded a facebook and youtube app for my phone; they both work fine when I'm using wifi but neither of them will load when using mobile broadband; they tell me they can't establish a connection and make sure the data feature is turned on. The Google Maps app acts the same way.

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies.

Any help from anyone is appreciated.

I've been reading these forums for a while now (since about late June) and I finally got my Omnia i910 last Monday; I had a few things to ask about.

I understand how to flash a new ROM and such and I know how to back up contacts, but I want to know how/ what program is needed to back up the actual OS/ ROM. Also I haven't had the opportunity to flash to any of the custom roms you guys have cooked up, but I was wondering what I need to make my own custom ROM so I can get rid of the verizon and samsung stuff I don't want and keep what I like (like Samsung today); do you guys just use a registry editor like PHM or CeRegEditor? Also, where can I get a copy of WM 6.5?

On the side of a couple problems I've had already: My Omnia came with the CF03 Rom, but when I use Google Maps or something, I haven't had any luck with GPS; also there isn't an external GPS option under the settings > system menu like the WM help menu says there should be.

And I've downloaded a facebook and youtube app for my phone; they both work fine when I'm using wifi but neither of them will load when using mobile broadband; they tell me they can't establish a connection and make sure the data feature is turned on. The Google Maps app acts the same way.

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies.

I really cannot speak to your mobile broadband problem. You may want to check that the setting that allows the use of the mobile connection for internet is on. I know there is one, but not where. As for the GPS, the setting I believe you are talking about is in the Phone settings panel which is in Personal, I believe, not system. At the bottom of that panel is a Services option. Go there. Highlight GPS from the list and select change. If it is restricted to 911, the default, the toys won't work. It needs to be set yo Location.

Guest necosino

You don't need to backup the original ROM, it is available in my post here If you ever want to go back, you just flash with it.

Wozzer has posted a pretty good kitchen here. That will give you a good start. For WinMo 6.5 builds, just do a search, the link has been posted several times (see search up there in the top-right corner?)

To enable GPS, do a search :) Such as "Turn on GPS i910" It's been posted at least 100 times... External GPS settings are only needed if you are using an external bluetooth GPS receiver.

Not sure about the data issues, they should all work just fine over cell data. Are you able to browse the web normally (not on wifi)? You could try reprogramming your phone by dialing *228, option 1.

Guest veritas-truth

Thank you guys for your replies. Your info was helpful for backing up and flashing.

As far as the GPS, I've already turned location on but I haven't had a chance to just run it outside for a few minutes with a clear sky.

and as far as the apps not working; the web browser works fine with mobile broadband but the apps don't, so I have no idea what might be wrong. I didn't even think about using the *228 thing. I'll let you know if I make any progress.

Guest kingneptune

Try going to setting connections and then browser connection, check the box which says Automatically detect settings.

For the GPS goto Settings then system and goto enhanced GPS enable the SNTP server make sure XTRA is also enabled, then download the XTRA data.

In external GPS settings under access ensure Manage GPS automatically is checked.

Good luck.

The GPS's first fix will probably take quite some time and needs a clear view of the sky, allow 20 - 30 minutes at least.

Edited by kingneptune

Guest veritas-truth

Lol... I feel like an idiot now; I had accidently made a new connection and was using it rather than the default My ISP (Verizon). Even though I didn't have any of my Verizon info plugged in, the phone would still let my browsers dial in and work fine, but the apps wouldn't.

but as far as the GPS setting, I do not have any GPS setting under settings > system. The only thing I have is settings > personal > phone, and there is a GPS option and all I can do there is turn location off or on and it it set to on.

again, thanks for all your help. I'll ket you know when I am able to get my first GPS lock though

Guest necosino

Again, on the i910, we do not need to use the External GPS settings unless using an external GPS receiver..

Just go to settings - personal - phone - GPS - location on. Soft reset, and then your GPS is enabled, simple as that.