Getting a new Hero on Orange tomorow

Guest hp1

My new Hero (locked to Orange) should arrive tomorrow. While I may install the Modaco Custom Rom at some point, I think I'll play it safe to begin with and try the new Orange ROM from the HTC Website. I understand that the new MCR (2.3) also roots the phone? What would be the best way for me to root my phone if I stick with the 'official' rom update? Do I also need this Cyanogen/Amon Ra revovery image thing or is that what does the rooting?

Apologies but i'm a total Android newbie and am struggling to keep up!

Ok so its day one with the hero and here are the two things that are already bugging me:

1. There appears to be no obvious way to close a program once its opened. Pressing the 'back' still leaves the program running.

2. The T9/ABC toggle is disabled for the compact qwerty in loads of applications. For example i cant use T9 to enter the name of a recipient in the SMS app!

Other than that really pleased with it though its early days. I have installed the orange update using the RUU but i'd still like to know the best way for me to now root my phone?

cheers

why would you want to T9 a recipient for SMS? Just start typing their name and pick from the dropdown innit.

I'm not sure how to root the new firmware sorry.

That's my point, I. Can't just type the name because T9 is disabled, I have to multipress to get the names to pop up. I know it sounds picky but I want to be able to spell words the same as I would in every other application.

Guest milko9000
That's my point, I. Can't just type the name because T9 is disabled, I have to multipress to get the names to pop up. I know it sounds picky but I want to be able to spell words the same as I would in every other application.

I definitely do exactly that. I have no idea why you're not able to, but I thought T9 was for multipress anyway so I'm a bit confused (ie I get a QWERTY keyboard to enter the name, not a numeric pad).