Kernel source

Guest MagnusPedersen

Guest MagnusPedersen

I wrote HTC a week ago asking them about when the kernelsource for the Hero will be released. They said soon, does anyone have something a little more specific?

/Magnus

I wrote HTC a week ago asking them about when the kernelsource for the Hero will be released. They said soon, does anyone have something a little more specific?

/Magnus

I would try to contact them again, seems to me they are pretty "flexible" in support.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MagnusPedersen
I would try to contact them again, seems to me they are pretty "flexible" in support.

I have just gotten a mail back from them again. HTC claims that it is android that release the source to them so they can put it on developer.htc.com . And they are still waiting.

And so are we

/Magnus

I have just gotten a mail back from them again. HTC claims that it is android that release the source to them so they can put it on developer.htc.com . And they are still waiting.

And so are we

/Magnus

No offense, but thats some real bulls*it from hTC, its obvious something fishy is going on, thats like telling they have only pre-compiled android and they integrated sense ui how, by reverse engineering ? lol !

Guest MagnusPedersen
No offense, but thats some real bulls*it from hTC, its obvious something fishy is going on, thats like telling they have only pre-compiled android and they integrated sense ui how, by reverse engineering ? lol !

That was more or less my answer...

Guest MagnusPedersen
That was more or less my answer...

Well, I have written gpl-violations.org and asked them how to proceed, I will report back when I hear from them.

/Magnus

gpl-violations are on the case and will take action.

Wonderful lets hope it will speed up the process, but i am still wondering, when android is covered under GPL, ok fine, but the htc "hero" stack( i mean sense ui and such), is covered under license of htc ?

I purchased android phone because its an open platform, but this license things are spoiling the surprise, well yes when we get hero kernel we could build "basic" android for hero (so that practically mean we have unlimited number of software upgrades for our phone, which is cool) but htc can say "after 1.6 we are not going to release upgrades" and so we don't have sense ui/etc source for htc applications, so hero users which want the enhanced ui will be stuck 4 ever..

Guest MagnusPedersen
Wonderful lets hope it will speed up the process, but i am still wondering, when android is covered under GPL, ok fine, but the htc "hero" stack( i mean sense ui and such), is covered under license of htc ?

I purchased android phone because its an open platform, but this license things are spoiling the surprise, well yes when we get hero kernel we could build "basic" android for hero (so that practically mean we have unlimited number of software upgrades for our phone, which is cool) but htc can say "after 1.6 we are not going to release upgrades" and so we don't have sense ui/etc source for htc applications, so hero users which want the enhanced ui will be stuck 4 ever..

It is only the gpl bits they have to (and probably will) release. But lets see what happens with both sense and/or other UI's in the future. Who knows, there might be alternatives before long.

/Magnus

Guest Khrushchev

If HTC isn't going to release anything after 1.6 i'm not too sad. I have been looking into Android 2.0 and it looks awesome. :)

Khrush

I think that if we see the kernel sources released we'll probably get CyanogenMOD for the Hero (oh please let it be so, perhaps even Cyanogen based ROM by Paul :() and then I wouldn't worry about future upgrades becuase then official Hero ROM's won't be needed anymore... :)

Guest FurryPotato
gr8 find, thanks, cant wait to test a vanilla android on our hero :)

And if only I had not just bricked mine (only 60 mins ago) then I'd be even happier.

Time to see if I can get it repaired under warranty .....

Guest FurryPotato
Bricked how?

Unless you were flashing the hboot, it's unlikely to be bricked.

P

Flashing an older radio. Phone totally dead. No charging light, no power etc Tried different battery, nothing worked.

It's back at the T-Mobile store now for warranty repair .