No backlight control

Guest aace

Second omnia with same problem, backlight will not auto adjust nor respond to manual setting. tried soft reset and backlight does change intensity while booting up then stay at dim setting. Currently running Wozzer's Ultralite (great rom) 23053.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Second omnia with same problem, backlight will not auto adjust nor respond to manual setting. tried soft reset and backlight does change intensity while booting up then stay at dim setting. Currently running Wozzer's Ultralite (great rom) 23053.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

fixed it myself thank you

just in case some one else unfortunate to have same issue... here's what I did...

settings > system > battery > (turn off or set to none all "turn off device" and deselect all backlight check boxes) then used "display switch" (from start menu) to turn off display > soft reset

after reboot go to settings > system > backlight and check backlight manual setting - see if responding - if yes then you're good to go :) if not then its gone :P

I went back to battery settings and reselected all backlight check boxes and working OK. :D

hope this helps.

Never seen this... Did you run the update for CF03 first?

yes both times - 1st was with Ad's vanilla v2, vz sent me replacement after vz tech support

gave up. this time using your ultralite rom - great rom BTW, just wish i could get FM radio back.

Honestly must be something or combination of what I'm doing... playing with different apps and settings, had my 1st omnia since Feb.'09 and still learning....

Thanks

• 3 months later...
Guest millermmail
[...]settings > system > battery > (turn off or set to none all "turn off device" and deselect all backlight check boxes) then used "display switch" (from start menu) to turn off display > soft reset

after reboot go to settings > system > backlight and check backlight manual setting - see if responding - if yes then you're good to go [...]

THANK YOU!

I've had this issue ever since I got a used Omnia with a (or one of?) Blazingwolf's WM6.5 ROM from a buddy.

BUT there was another problem. After following your directions, the backlight worked great until the unit went to Standby, or until the screen was turned off.

I later found this thread that had the resolution: http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/samsung-i90...sensor-bug.html

Granted, that's about an i900 and I wasn't having any accelerometer issues but the backlight was a perfect description of my problem - and the resolution was the same.

Bottom line, check the boxes for "wake when button or screen is tapped"

Here's a quote from the above link, just in case it dissapears at some point...

Not sure if this should be classified as a bug, but it was annoying enough to write something here hopefully saving someone else time figuring it out.

The symtom was that the unit would come out of standby with a dim backlight setting, and the motion sensor would not detect any rotation. The backlight setting could be changed, but the light itself would remain dim. Likewise, the motion sensor sensitivity could be changed, but regardless it would not detect any rotation.

After a soft reset, the unit would come back on at full brightness and the sensor would work. Until the unit was placed in standby (by pressing the power button or timing out). After pressing a button to turn the display back on, it again would be in that 'dim' state.

After uninstalling several programs which I thought were interfering with the light (since they had brightness settings in the programs), I found the cause, my power settings. I had the unit set to turn off after 5 minutes on battery, and all of the other options turned off (turn backlight off after x min, turn on backlight with button press). I want the unit to timeout on battery, but otherwise stay at normal brightness and always stay on using external power. Apparently trying to set that confuses the unit, and once it comes out of stanby it believes it should go into power saving mode immediately. Pressing any buttons or going through the start button were functional but would not let the unit know to resume full power mode. It makes sense that the motion sensor would not wake up as well once I realized what it was doing.

I'm not sure exactly which setting fixed it, either 'turn off backlight after x min' or 'turn on backlight when a button is pressed'. After toying with it for hours I just reinstalled the apps I had removed and moved on. But after the forum searches did not result in anything I thought I'd save someone else the time.

Hope this helps someone else!